LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#673207 - 03/29/11 02:09 PM Flyline for steelhead salmon??
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Okay fellas, I've done some preliminary research on types of flyline but would like your expert opinion. I recently picked up a 4 piece 9wt. 9' Temple Fork Professional series. I really liked the feel and felt it would be a good starter rod.

That said, I now am in the market for line. I plan on fishing egg patters under an indicator. I would also like to fish weighted barbell flys. Do I need to seperate lines, one sinking tip and another floating or can I get away with floating for the time being? What line would you recommend? Any advice would be much appreciated!

#673227 - 03/29/11 03:00 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: The Closer]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
Are you going to actually fly fish or just fish a float and jig?

#673280 - 03/29/11 07:15 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: D3Smartie]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Closer,

Since it looks like you're going to mainly be fishing "junk," i.e., lead, then being able to turn over the junk will be the line's performance requirement. I know for an 8 wt, a WF10F with most of the front taper cut off turns over the junk pretty well. So a WF11F would probably do the job on your 9 wt rod. A standard WF floating line with a roughly 30' head on it will do. Personally, I wouldn't buy an expensive line to cut up for this kind of service. You can get an SA Aircell for less than $30 at Sportco, or go online looking for closeouts, and just buy some WF11F that is discounted. That's where I got mine.

Sg

#673332 - 03/29/11 11:14 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: ]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Don't touch my junk!

#673407 - 03/30/11 11:56 AM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: Doctor Rick]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

D3Smartie, I would like to do it all!! Drift fish, hybrid drift/fly, fly

Okay, If you're new to fly fishing and know what you know from your years of experience, what fly line would you choose for fishing steelhead/salmon. I'll be fishing small to medium rivers. Hoh, Bogi style.

#673413 - 03/30/11 01:11 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: The Closer]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for the help Salmo g.

#673418 - 03/30/11 01:43 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: The Closer]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Salmo salar,

Zero. I bought the line and made the set up to nymph fish a certain small stream that I haven't been back to. But if I go there again, I got the line that will toss that junk: thingamabobber, split shot, and nymph, glo bug, or bead.

Closer,

I have older lines on my single hand fly rods that I used before I went totally into two-handed Spey fishing gear. They are SA Aircell and Aircell Supremes and the Cortland 444 peach floating line. BTW, I think I have a "steelhead" line in 9 wt that I accidentally bought on closeout, maybe from Orvis. I think they designate it as a salmon and steelhead taper because the head section of the line is around 40' long instead of 30. This would be to use as a full length floating line, or cut back 15' and loop on sink tips, but is not the over-weight line you would use to throw "junk." I'll probably never use it, so if you're interested, you can have it cheap.

Sg

#673420 - 03/30/11 01:45 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: The Closer]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Closer:

There really is no one line that will do everything well, but most quality lines (expect to pay $60 or better) will handle most situations at least marginally. As others are saying, if you want to be dialed, it really depends on what type of fishing you plan to do most.

You'll get good advice here, but ultimately, you will be the one to decide what line is best for the fishing you do. Everything about the way you fish, be it the water you fish, the techniques you use, the types of flies you fish, your preferred rod action type, or your casting stroke, will factor into what lines work best for you.

All that said, for all-around use, I have personally enjoyed the Scientific Anglers steelhead taper line I currently have on my 6-weight quite a bit. It's not great for nymphing (a lot of the weight is in the middle and back of the line, so shorter casts are somewhat difficult), but for greased line summer run fishing, it's hard to beat. Makes it easy to keep a lot of line in the air and mend it on the water.

Good luck, and have fun learning.

#673475 - 03/30/11 06:48 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Lots of different WF floating nymph lines out there if you want to fish an indicator.

For throwing junk, you might want to consider a multi-tip line. They come with 4 heads, plus you can make your heads own out of T-8,11,14 or 17 to just about cover every situation you'll encounter.

Good luck
SF

#673502 - 03/30/11 09:13 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: stonefish]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Barbells = Junk huh

I know I hate casting them. Now I know why.

#673607 - 03/31/11 12:46 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: stonefish]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Lots of different WF floating nymph lines out there if you want to fish an indicator.

For throwing junk, you might want to consider a multi-tip line. They come with 4 heads, plus you can make your heads own out of T-8,11,14 or 17 to just about cover every situation you'll encounter.

Good luck
SF

This seems like a good way to go! May be more cost effective too!

#674349 - 04/02/11 10:43 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: The Closer]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Species, fly size, Wt. rod equaled by line. Expect to spend lot's of $ before you're done. Good luck.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#674607 - 04/03/11 10:15 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: Magicfly]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
I know your looking to nymph but if you get serious about fly fishing and want to expand your techniques for swinging flies in the future, I was turned on to the Teeny series of flylines a few years ago. I especially like the T-200 for fishing many applications.

#674696 - 04/04/11 12:08 PM Re: Flyline for steelhead salmon?? [Re: The Catcherman]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for the help everyone. Picked up WF9F (I think the brand was Rio) with sinking tip extensions, 5 ft and 10ft. I picked up the gear at Avid Angler off Lake City near Seattle. Met a nice woman and I believe the owner, Ryan. I would rate their service as excellent. Friendly, helpful, etc. Too many good things to say.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |