Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#832226 - 03/30/13 12:01 AM Couple of tugs and a sunburn
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
Had a little fun down on the Cow today. Didn't get one dang fish to stick. They all hit at the end of the swing in the slack water! Here's a couple of bugs I threw today on the new Winston spey:

Nightmare tube!

Even went "old school" with an Irish shrimp pattern.

#832229 - 03/30/13 12:14 AM Re: Couple of tugs and a sunburn [Re: Capt Downriggin']
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I enjoyed both images. I liked the lower more because it was less busy, and I found it easier to find focus.

Thanks for the posting, I found it pleasing.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#832260 - 03/30/13 11:15 AM Re: Couple of tugs and a sunburn [Re: blackmouth]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Nice looking bugs! Between the beads and rubber legs, that nightmare tube has some cool mojo going on.

Very nice twist on the Ally's shrimp. Just plain pretty and fishy looking to boot.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#832308 - 03/30/13 03:41 PM Re: Couple of tugs and a sunburn [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Nice looking flies. It's a good thing steelhead aren't picky and tiers can cobble together whatever pattern suits their whim.

Don't fret the opher; it happens. Finally ended my streak on my fourth trip and 9th fish. I was opher-5 going in, opher-7 after fishing my first pool of the morning. Jinxed myself when I hooked my 3rd fish of the day and announced to my partner, ". . . and it's still on! . . ." only to have the line go slack a second later. Finally later afternoon provided another solid grab from a bulldog buck that didn't run much and a tug-o-war match leading to a steelhead in hand. Four straight trips that all provided action and eventually a fish to hand. It reminded me of a spell in the mid-80s on the Grand Ronde where I hooked and lost 11 straight. I was totally paranoid, and began throwing away flies in the belief that the hooks must be defective. And then I landed the next 12 straight without losing a single hookup. So it goes. Uncertainty is a compelling part of the steelhead game.

Sg

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |