Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102656 - 04/26/03 06:38 PM steelhead on a fly
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
Well, I think its about time I start trying my luck at fly fishing for steelhead on the North fork of the Lewis River.
I have a Lamiglas 6wt fly rod that has taken a few salmon and hooked one steelhead on it so I know it will do just fine. But anyone ever fly fish the NF of the Lewis for steelhead? Anyone know of any good colors for steelhead?

Thanks
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#102657 - 04/26/03 09:32 PM Re: steelhead on a fly
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
How big of flies are you throwing with that 6wt? I couldn't imagine throwing big flies, or even sinktips with a 6wt adding a bigger fly to boot. For summerruns, you should be ok. But for winterruns, I'd beef up a bit. I've caught 50# kings on a noodle rod, but it's not the best way to get them in.

Seriously speaking, I'd keep that for a lighter summerrun rod. I normally use a 7wt for most of my summer fishing. But I'd step up to at least an 8wt, maybe even a 9/10 wt if you plan to throw tips with big flies. I've found you can use a 6wt, but you're working way too hard to turn over those flies. Almost any fly rod (I say ALMOST) can land alot of different fish. But the wt really dictates how big of fly you can handle with it. I have a couple 8wts that are my all around rods. But like to step up to my 9wt for throwing tips.

I dont fish the NF Lewis, so can't give you any tips. But I know Rob Allen does. He may be able to give you some insight on flies to use.

Northwest River Fisherman

#102658 - 04/26/03 11:47 PM Re: steelhead on a fly
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Well for now I have to use my 6wt, but I do have an eye on a Lamiglas 8wt, but am also thinking about a 9 wt 10 foot rod.

#102659 - 05/15/03 11:30 PM Re: steelhead on a fly
Rob Allen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver WA
Kingfisher I frequently fly fish the N. Lewis later this summer when the river gets 2500cfs or lower lets do a float. I haven't had much success on the N fork with flies even though i catch them on everything else but i have some ideas to try out this summer. I won't start fly fishing it till the water comes down though..

#102660 - 05/16/03 01:15 AM Re: steelhead on a fly
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Ok everyone, Am getting a custom build fly rod for taking up to Alaska this summer for salmon.
Its a Rainshadow blank at an 8wt 4 piece 9 foot fly rod! Think I'll use that for steelhead too if I have to start tossing weighted or big fly's.

Now I have two really good salmon/steelhead fly reels that work just fine on salmon. Gonna get another one. One reel had sinking line. The other reel has floating line. Now am thinking this new reel am gonna pick up for this new rod, am thinking about putting sinking tippet on it? What do you think?

Also, is that sinking line any good for salmon/steelhead when fly fishing? What kinda of fishing do I want to use that stuff for? Also, what kinda of fishing do I want to use my floating line for? And again, what about the sinking tippet line?

Rob-The River is at 2581CFS. I'll be looking forward to going out fishin with you. The only problem is that am leaving for work a week before the ocean opens, be working down at the coast this week doing fishing related stuff. So maybe some time before that if you have an open seat.

Thanks

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Banana Slama
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 901 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |