LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102755 - 07/23/03 05:32 PM Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
The newest Fishing and Hunting News: Washington, had an artical on this. The WDFW plans on onening the Cedar River to trout fishing. The temperary sockeye hatchery, soon to be perminent, that was put in a few years ago has brought many salmon into this river. Some of these salmon don't make it to the hatchery and their eggs and themselves are eaten by the trout. Plus the millions of seckeye fry released from the hatchery are easy prey for hungary trout. So as an unseen effect of the hatchery, the trout population had boomed in numbers and size.
I really hope that the Cedar River would become a flyfishing only river and that someday we will be able to fish for salmon and steelhead as well as the trout.

Dose anybody know how we can make the Cedar River a flyfishing only and C&R river? We should try to push this to be one and if we can't get that at least make it a selective fishing and C&R water.

#102756 - 07/27/03 01:21 PM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
chumster Offline
Parr

Loc: kent, wa.
Hi,

Selective fishery is enough, why fly only?? hoping to keep the pressure down for yourself??

#102757 - 07/27/03 08:05 PM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Well ya........and all of the people at www.washingtonflyfishing.com and it's forum! laugh

#102758 - 08/06/03 02:30 PM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Hey Junky,

I think it is great they are considering opening up the Cedar. Depending on the health of the runs, I can certainly see the value of selective gear regulations but I would hate to see any attempt to make this fly only. Such efforts in my experience just further divide user groups. Fly fishers already have a rap as elitest exclusionary snobs and this would only serve to further that view.

As for your comment regarding WAFLYFISING.COM, I have noticed you like to post that URL on this site. In one post you alluded to the fact that information posted here was available over there much earlier. Once again, I would suggest that this approach only serves to foster the division between user groups. Besides, I know Chis and he has no problems promoting his site on his own.

sinktip

#102759 - 08/07/03 01:42 AM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
pillarking Offline
Parr

Loc: Marysville
fj15,

I have not seen the article you are speaking of but I did see the one in either the PI or the seattle times a few months ago. That with a little inside info on the topic leaves me to believe that the Fish and hunting news left a little bit out.
It is true that a test fishery was done in the spring of this year to help determine why the returning salmon have been dropping since the enitial closure of the river some 10 odd years ago. What was found were large numbers of trout in the 4 to 8 pound range.
Ofcourse eating the fry as well as the eggs.
Also was a large number of large white fish.
Add that to a good return of sea run cutts and the salmon don't have chance.
I too would love to see this river open to all types of fishing in the future whether it fly only or whatever but to also make it c n r would defeat the whole purpose. The purpose being they want the river come back into balance and by taking the trout from the river would help.
Obviously everyone has their own view on all of this but I think if by me catching some large trout and taking them home is helping the cause. Fine by me.

#102760 - 08/07/03 02:44 AM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Sinktip:

I'm not trying to divide the fishing world. I was just refering in my prevous two posts that I, and some other people on this forum, have also disscussed these topics on WaFlyfishing's forum. I would settle for this river to become a selective fishery and a C&R fishery though. I also hope that you don't lable me as one of the fly fishermen that think they are better than gear fishermen because I'm a gear fisherman also.

#102761 - 08/07/03 11:47 AM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

FFJ,

I am not trying to label anyone. I just am aware of how flyfishers are perceived and feel that these stereotypes, or for that matter others like how gear fishermen are portrayed on some sites, only serves to divide user groups. We as fishers have little political clout as it is, any division among us reduces it even more.

By the way, I am curious as to what you are trying to communicate in that blurb you have in your signature? Please explain.

Sinktip

#102762 - 08/07/03 01:39 PM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

My signature is this: Who in their right mind would stand an a 35 degree river for hours when it is raining, snowing, sleeting or all at once, the air temperature is between 20 and 40 degrees, and to do this they get up at 3-5 in the morning? These people look like they are in need of proffesonal help.

I hope that explans it. what

#102763 - 08/07/03 04:23 PM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

That does explain it quite well. I suspected you were a fair weather fisher but wanted to give you the chance to explain it yourself.

Winter steelheading is not for everyone. And I do thank god for that. Maybe it just takes a special addiction to both the fish and the river to fish for these magnificent fish in the winter/spring. Or maybe you just need to be tough enough to ignore the discomfort in return for the rewards.

I guess by your definition I'm in need of help as although I do enjoy casting a floater and a sparsely tied purple spey for summer fish, give me my preference and I would much rather be swinging a heavy tip and a 3" long Black Scampi through a soft seam of 42 degree water.

Might I suggest you consider changing your name to FlyFishingHobbiest. If you can't stand the conditions six months of the year, I hardly think you qualify as a Junky. laugh

Not to worry though, at least you are steelhead fishing and not going on and on about fishing for humpies and chums.

#102764 - 08/07/03 05:48 PM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
before you label, just remember, there are plenty of rednecks who know how to cast a fly.

http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/regs/regchng/aug0103a.htm

#102765 - 08/07/03 11:05 PM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
WARNING!!!

The Cedar River will never become a catch & release fishery for trout. My WDFW sources tell me the only reason for this possible opening is to reduce the population of cutthroat in the system. They claim these wild trout are killing to many sockeye fry.

"My O MY, gotta protect those Sockeye"

Cigar mad beathead

#102766 - 08/08/03 01:08 PM Re: Cedar River Open to Fishing Soon?
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

What's even worse is that these sockeye are not native to Lake Washington. They are part of the Baker River stock. So they want use to kill wild fish to save stocked fish?!?!?! mad

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (20 Gage, Carcassman, 2 invisible), 1163 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |