LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104303 - 02/10/05 12:05 AM rod & reel advise?
hunterfisher77 Offline
Parr

Loc: everett
directed here by the nw board guys. Been drift fishing for steelhead for years and have decided to take up the summerrun fly fishing, I'm becoming more confused the more I read about the gear. I'm going to attend the show in bellevue this weekend after a trip to the vedder friday. Ive been looking at a combo package in cabela's that consists of a 9' rod, 8 wieght, 4 piece, with a prestige plus reel and prestige plus fly line with backing for a little over 100$. It's called the traditional. Would like to know if that is a good way to get started or any other advice you guys might have for me.
thanks clint

#104304 - 02/10/05 02:56 AM Re: rod & reel advise?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#104305 - 02/10/05 10:04 AM Re: rod & reel advise?
hunterfisher77 Offline
Parr

thanks h2h can you give me some examples so so I have somewhere to start
thanks

#104306 - 02/10/05 02:36 PM Re: rod & reel advise?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Hunterfisher,

It seems like just about everybody but me suggests that a newcomer buy the very best of everything that they can afford. That's one approach, and certainly a good one, providing money's not a problem. I began fly fishing as an impoverished student and learned that the fish, including steelhead, didn't know how little I spent on my tackle.

The combo outfit you're looking at is at the bottom end of being serviceable, but it just might work. I've seen some $99 rods that are very good; they one you're considering might be, or not, I honestly don't know. I've used really cheap reels and had two literally explode when a summer run hit and began running. The Prstige Plus may serve, and if not, you'll always have the memory of it exploding when a hot summer run took off. The lowest price, high quality reel that I'm certain will handle steelhead for years and years of service is the discontinued Ross Colorado that can be had on Ebay for about $65. As for lines, SA Supremes can be had at Sportco for about $27, and they used to be the best available, and are still extremely serviceable. If you can tie your own steelhead leaders, you can learn to make your own sink tips, so don't fear chopping up a line, especially if it's low cost to begin with.

I'd say go ahead with the Cabela's outfit and see if you like fly fishing for steelhead. If you do, you're going to end up with more tackle than you know what to do with anyway, regardless of how much you spend on that first outfit.

The one piece of gear you absolutely should not scrimp on is your chest waders. Get good waders, as it will ultimately have more influence on your fishing success than the quality of your rod, reel, or line.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#104307 - 02/10/05 02:38 PM Re: rod & reel advise?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Clint

I know two-handers pretty good but single handers I'll leave that for someone else, I've talk with someone that can answer your question but he was in Forks fishing right now and he would answer your question tonight

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#104308 - 02/10/05 07:37 PM Re: rod & reel advise?
hunterfisher77 Offline
Parr

thanks guys I am on somewhat on a limited budget right now so am trying to go cheap, I want it to work and want the gear I buy to give me a good chance at learning the sport as best I can. I also don't want to buy something I'm going to need to get rid of the next year because it is so bottom line. Hope the guy's at the show can help me some if thier not just trying to sell gear. I do have a good pair of waders 1000gram lacrosse for extreme cold and some others for warmer weather.

thanks again keep it coming

#104309 - 03/08/05 04:11 PM Re: rod & reel advise?
AR-15 Hunter Offline
Alevin

Not a gear reply, but.....If you don't already flyfish, have an instructor teach you how to cast properly. Very frustrating trying to teach yourself!

#104310 - 03/08/05 07:09 PM Re: rod & reel advise?
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
First the good news: the Cabela 'combos' are a very good deal, and darned good rods/reels.

The 'bad news' is the lowest priced of the bunch include reels that you probably wouldn't buy on a bet. "Upgrade" the the best reel in the 'combo' selection.

I've purchased a couple of these and was pleased as punch at the quality of the rods.

#104311 - 03/09/05 02:35 AM Re: rod & reel advise?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Don't waste your money. Just stick with what you know. You'll catch more fish.

One who is losing interest in fly fishing.

Jim

#104312 - 03/15/05 02:49 PM Re: rod & reel advise?
Rawthumb Offline
Egg

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Consider equipment from Temple Forks Outfitters. Cast them to see what works, and then see if you can pick them up used.

Also, Orvis does a traveling clearance sale. I ahve picked up some cheap tackle here in ATL from that event.

One of the problems with flyfishing is that everything is overpriced. It is a fairly seasonal recreation business, and the manufacturers and retailers have to operate on high margins. That means 100% markup at each stage for 50% gross margins for the maker and seller. The makers don't allow discounting either. The other problem is that you can go too cheap. Some of the stuff at the low end simply is not worth the money that you spend on it.

If you are going to fish steelies, I would recommend a disc drag. You will need a good drag and pick-up rate, and you probably already know from gear fishing from them.

Cabelas does have a real called the Deschutes that is a large arbor on close-out in the Bargain Cave. It is made in England and looks a lot like the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. I don't know squat about it, but perhaps some others on here do.

Bass Pro has a line of White River reels that have gotten pretty good marks for drag performance, etc. in the lower price range. I have not used one myself. I am partial to Orvis and Ross Reels.

Fly Anglers Online is a good resource for flyfishing info. Google it.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1419 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |