LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104629 - 10/10/05 01:06 AM saltwater cuts?
glennski Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Redmond, Wa.
I am hoping you gents can give me info on what works and hopefuly a area to try, as I have tried pnp for silvers and apparently my skills or they are not there or both, I just want to catch some fish on a fly. catch and release is great as I do not need the fish, freezer is still too full as it is. thanks ahead of time for any help. Glenn

#104630 - 10/13/05 12:48 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
glennski Offline
Juvenille at Sea

The fishing must be really good Or one of you great people would have kicked me some tips by now. O am getting so old I do not have the luxory to learn by trial & error , need to feel the throb of a fresh fish. Glenn

#104631 - 10/13/05 02:26 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Sorry I'm not a Cutt man; but I'll E-Mail a friend that is cool

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#104632 - 10/13/05 09:52 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
Leland Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle
If you simply want a place, try the Tacoma Narrows accessed at the Narrows Park. You'll have close to four miles of beach.

Leland.

#104634 - 10/13/05 04:41 PM Re: saltwater cuts?
Cscott Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Port Orchard
Any creek mouth on Hood Canal right now should have some fish around in the salt, October into November is usually automatic in Southern Hood Canal. They are aggressive, any shrimp or minnow pattern works.

#104635 - 10/14/05 12:15 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
glennski Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Much appreciated I will get out soon. Thanks to all who responded. Glenn

#104636 - 10/24/05 07:03 PM Re: saltwater cuts?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
i dunno how its gonna be for yah right now, i fish cutties all the time off of PA and for the most part the run should be over unless you are right off the mouth they might still be milling around those type of areas, but over towards ur way more i have heard of people doing very well in agate pass, they also get silvers on the fly in there

#104637 - 10/25/05 12:01 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
glennski Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for the new info as I am still seeking as much info to make it all come together I realise that it will take time to learn. I have more time now than ever before so will make a effort to persue the great fish. Glenn

#104638 - 10/25/05 11:52 PM Re: saltwater cuts?
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
the agate pass silver thing is a done deal now that there are no more net pens. That was done about 5 years ago now, There are a few cuts still around but it is very hit and miss... Hood canal is the best bet for cutties. Boats help a ton.
Move a lot until you find fish.
I prefer gravel shore lines with a good slope and current, usually bordered by eel grass flats.

#104639 - 10/26/05 10:19 PM Re: saltwater cuts?
KlausRMinnow Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everwet WA
As someone said most of the cutts are done in the salt. Not sure how you feel about the drive but the N Fork Stillaguamish is an excellent dry fly river for Cutthroat in October. It is catch and Release only on everything except hatchery steelhead and is fly fishing only until Dec 1.

Use Size #6 and 8 Humpies, Royal Wulff, Caddis, Spiders, Reverse Spiders, and Clausers on a floating line. Use a typical upstream cast and mend drift with the dries and let the fly tail out sometimes and drag a wake before you retrieve. With the wets on the dry line use the downstream swing and twitch, alternate retrieves and speed.

There are still some very nice dollies there too I caught several to 5 lbs in Aug/Sept using black and/or purple Marabou Leeches, on a sink-tip. This time of year you might try flesh type or Egg Yarn Flies on a sink-tip.

Not sure of the water conditions of late but should be OK higher up. Good spot about 6 miles heading east of Oso turn left on C-Post road ( 1 mile and park at bridge) or go another 1.5 miles up straight away for another good area on left (you will see it). Fish the seams along riffles running near boulders and other structure.

Nice thing there is you never know when a Summer run (keep up to two hatchery) is going to come up an nail your fly.

Good Luck
KRM

O.K. Now can someone point me to an area where I can take some nice Coho on my fly rod? It collects way too much dust this time of year in the Post-Humpy/Pre-Chum North Sound doldrums. I can get em in the salt but for the life of me I cannot ever get consistent on Silvers in the river (hence my plug pullin, spinner castin, Spoon drifting, egg tossin ways this past month)

#104640 - 10/26/05 11:25 PM Re: saltwater cuts?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

I was up on NF yesterday and the water color was good maybe to good

If your looking for coho go to the Cascade they there but not the numbers yet

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#104641 - 10/26/05 11:58 PM Re: saltwater cuts?
KlausRMinnow Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks Homer, anything happening on the NF for Steelies? was supposed to be heading to the Chehalis for 2 days after this coming weekend but looks like that might be put on the back burner in exchange for a one day hop closer to home. work just always getting in the way of things

#104642 - 10/27/05 12:26 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
D3 the guy who i talked to got 3 silvers in a weekend, and it was only 2 years ago so maybe they just move through there

#104643 - 10/27/05 01:26 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
glennski Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Once again some great info I need to get out soon thanks gents. Glenn

#104644 - 10/27/05 01:40 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by KlausRMinnow:
Thanks Homer, anything happening on the NF for Steelies?
I usually not here this time of year but thanks to a little accident I am

Could tell you any thing about steelhead right now; but I did see 6 guys gear fishing on the NF yesterday evil

#104645 - 10/27/05 12:59 PM Re: saltwater cuts?
KlausRMinnow Offline
Returning Adult

Oh Ya the spinning reel crowd, you must have been up around Hazel. I usually remind them that it is fly only; if they are still there by the time I get my gear on I drive up the road where I have cell service and call the WSP.

I came around a corner one day last year (04)and found 3 people (not kids) spin fishing one of my hike in spots with nightcrawlers and single eggs. They had a half-dozen 8-10 inch native smolt on a stringer... sick. No cell phone service in the canyon either. Where is the enforcement here?

#104646 - 10/28/05 12:08 AM Re: saltwater cuts?
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
reyns... I am sure they do still move through on their way to Brownsville or Gorst, but what most people talk about when they refer to the agate pass silvers was the old net pen run that would mill around between Kiana Lodge and the bridge.
Used to be some of the best fly fishing for silvers any where with tons of fish caught each trip out. It was basically where i learned to fly fish. I could drive my little whaler over there after school and catch fish before dinner.
Ahh the memories.
We had some days over there where we could land 30 or so fish apiece, basically until we got tired of it.
floating line and a chartuse spider.... fish on.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 902 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645424 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |