Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104945 - 02/10/06 03:20 PM SRC's?
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
Most of my fly fishing to date has been stillwater trout fishing but I have been doing some reading lately about shore fishing Puget Sound for sea run cutts. So naturally I have a few questions. First, is this a year round fishery or is it primarily a fall fishery? How about gear? Do you recommend any special lines, reels, rods, or can you use your same fresh water equipment with a good wash down afterwards? And finally, if anybody wants to give up the info....can you recommend some good areas for a beginner?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

#104946 - 02/10/06 08:59 PM Re: SRC's?
cfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard
The best times for me have been September/October in the fall and April in the spring. I only fish Southern Hood Canal. We have a family house on the North Shore. There are fish out there in good numbers all summer but with all of the boats and jet skiers I don't usually attempt it, plus I'm salmon fishing. In April when the juvenile chum enter the salt the SRC's really attack them in front of any stream on the canal. This is when we catch some of the bigger fish. There are more numbers of fish in September/October in front of these same streams. Find a point with some current on the incoming tide. I use floating line with an 8ft leader and a clouser or shrimp pattern. These fish will be in shallow water. Go ahead and use your freshwater gear, just really wash it down afterwards. I'm not ready to give up my secret stream mouth, never seen anyone else around, kind of a family secret. If you have a small boat with a kicker, just about every stream mouth on the canal will produce at the right time.

#104947 - 02/11/06 06:29 PM Re: SRC's?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
as cfish said stream mouths are a great spot but really anywhere there is a good source of food will be a good spot, one spot i fish is a sloughish area that empties out on the tide, and when the tide is coming in the fish will stack up near the mouth of it, because the bait will pour in with the tide, as for gear i mostly pitch spinners at them, but when i want to toss flies i primarily throw a chartreuse clouser...oh and this is all coming from the PA area, i havent tried this in the sound or the canal

#104948 - 02/11/06 06:31 PM Re: SRC's?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
oh and if there isnt much feed around strip the clouser in fast and keep it up on the surface, this will result in really sweet arial strikes

#104949 - 03/07/06 12:03 PM Re: SRC's?
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
you can get as into salt fishing as you really want...
It is pretty much a year round fishery.
I like a "slime" line like the aqualux from rio. But i also always have a floater with me in the summer. Fishing for SRCs and salmon on poppers or sliders is a lot of fun.
A fast action 6wt or 7wt will suffice in almost all situations. A 6wt will handle any cuts, but the 7wt allows you to have enough rod for the bigger incedental salmon.
You dont have to have a great reel but i would reccomend an anodized reel which will help protect against the salt. Most of the anodized reels will also have a little bit better drag for the bigger fish.
Any gravel point with a good current surrounded by eel grass is a great bet... a good slope to the beach is nice as well
(almost) NEVER WADE DEEP FOR CUTS...
when fishing from a boat i pull my flies right off the shore in most cases... These fish will sit in less than a foot of water at times.
explore the canal or the sound.

#104950 - 03/08/06 12:04 AM Re: SRC's?
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
shoot me a PM or an e-mail if you;d like to get out this summer and explore the beaches.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |