LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#355030 - 05/29/07 12:09 AM Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly?
Bigjim Offline
will always be a Juvenile at Sea

I am going to be opening a SRC line for our company, and wanted to see everyones opinion on what kind of flies they use for them. I am thinking we will run clousers and other streamer patterns, but a buddy of mine fished for them a while back using dry flies with success. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

#355035 - 05/29/07 12:34 AM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: Bigjim]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
conehead squid....nuff said

#355059 - 05/29/07 04:34 AM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: mreyns_tgl]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
olive and grey sculpin patters

#355189 - 05/29/07 06:28 PM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: Streamer]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
clouser minnows are probley one of the most popular flies people use for cutties and res coho, others maybe have their personal favorites but clousers are used by a lot of people.

#355243 - 05/29/07 09:32 PM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: Queets guy]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
You didn't specify where you were looking at what is used for cutts in the salt or freshwater.

In freshwater my go to fly are Knudsen spiders, spiders, muddlers, reverse spiders, rolled muddlers, spiders, scuplins and spiders. throw in some crane flies and BWO and your set.

For the salt in addition to what has been mentioned candle fish and chum fry streamers can be very handy.

tight lines
Curt

#355244 - 05/29/07 09:35 PM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: Smalma]
Bigjim Offline
will always be a Juvenile at Sea

Thanks, that seems like a wider list than clousers.

#355274 - 05/29/07 11:29 PM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: Bigjim]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
whoops, sorry didnt see that you had mentioned clousers above.

#355326 - 05/30/07 09:39 AM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: Bigjim]
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
My go-to sea-run cutthroat pattern for fresh water is Mike Kinney's reverse spider in various colors (usually hot orange body with wood duck hackle). If they can be found feeding on top, IO use blue-winged olives, little yellow stonefly imitations and, of course, October caddis in the season. For saltwater, Miyawaki's beach popper and various baitfish patterns. I, personally, don't care for heavily-weighted flies like Clousers and don't think they are really necessary.

#355373 - 05/30/07 12:44 PM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: Preston Singletary]
CoastalCutt Offline
Alevin

Loc: WA Coast
What Preston and Curt said. They are amongst those at the top of the searun cutthroat game (as well as DCSmartie), and you can't do much better than following their advice.
Clousers work..I like olive over white, with a little flash and some red just behind the eyes to simulate gills. I'm leaning away from using these, as they are a beotch to cast compared to unweigted or less weighted patterns. And, I cringe in agony when I hear those dumbell eyes strike my graphite 6 wt.
For estuaries and lower reaches of rivers, and frog water, I prefer an orange-bodied Reversed Spider, with mallard flank (what I use, since I have alot of it) hackle and a tail of red hackle fibers. I vary the hackle shade from (dyed) lemon yellow, wood duck, and natural. I like 'em in size 6, but use #8's as well. Sometimes I use a yellow body (with red tail).
Sometimes black body. I just bought a Lady Amherst Pheasant head for the hackles for the black ones. The hackle fibers don't stick together like mallard flank will.
Hope this helps.

Edited by CoastalCutt (05/30/07 01:02 PM)

#356261 - 06/03/07 12:35 AM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: CoastalCutt]
chawycha Offline
Fry

Loc: Poulsbo, WA
Miyawaki Popper is a great fish locator, and if you do not hook fish on those, switch to clousers. If they go for a popper, they will grab the clouser.

#367121 - 08/06/07 05:50 PM Re: Whats your go to Sea Run Cutt Fly? [Re: chawycha]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Mike Kinney - haven't heard that name in a while - is he still around? Tied some flies for him 25-30 years ago, big forward-wing skating humpy dry flies for steelhead.

I don't fly fish for them much anymore but back in the day I'd use the reverse spider with a lead-headed line anchored up right on the edge of mission bar. Cast out one side of the boat and strip it in accross the flats with schools of cutties chasing it. Cast out the other side and let it sink down the edge of the shelf pretty deep and strip up a blackmouth. A hot, fresh blackmouth on a 6 weight flyrod is a heck of a battle - good memories.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (SpoonFed), 1376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |