LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#548509 - 10/23/09 10:55 AM Lower Dean R. Lodge Opportunity Info?
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I have an opportunity to go to the Lower Dean R. Lodge September 20-25, 2010 and am looking for more info. than what I could find on the internet. Specifically, 1)Is the end of September too late for Steelhead? I read August is the peak, and busiest time for Steel in the lower stretches. 2) With the water very low that late, do I really need to use a two handed Spey rod? Admittedly a green Spey caster, can I get away with my 7, 8, and 9 wt. standard rods? 3) Is the water ever clear enough to sight fish on them? That late in the season the low water should be pretty clear? 4) Anything else to know to bring for conditions then or for the stay at the lodge? Thanks for any info. It is an expensive trip and I want to be organized.

#548555 - 10/23/09 01:09 PM Re: Lower Dean R. Lodge Opportunity Info? [Re: RUNnGUN]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

EXTREME jealousy here bud!! That is on the top of my to do before I die list for sure. Ive always read August is the month. Some of the guides from the "other" famous summer run rivers up there guide on the Dean for the earlier part of the season (August) and end up back on the "other" rivers in September. [url=www.piscatorialpursuits.com]www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/river/dean.phtml[/url]

Mid july-mid August is best for lower section above tidewater to the lower canyon is what link states so your probably good!

Edited by cobble cruiser (10/23/09 01:23 PM)

#548774 - 10/23/09 10:47 PM Re: Lower Dean R. Lodge Opportunity Info? [Re: cobble cruiser]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Dean = bucket list river if'n you are the steelheading type.

Haven't been, but certainly hope to some day. In the poking around I have done, as Danny says, late July through August seems to be a time frame that is mentioned often, with fish coming in later than that certainly.

Logistics and where to spend time seem to be the crux for most folks. Outside of the expense that is.

The more I target "summer" run fish, the more it seems as though they have their preferred haunts and you don't necessarily find them spread throughout a given system. I have heard simmilar comments made about the Dean.

One handed vs. two handed. Why not both. Each have their advantages and your on an expedition anyhow.

Never underestimate the power of an egg pattern...if you are into that sort of thing.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#552783 - 11/05/09 11:49 PM Re: Lower Dean R. Lodge Opportunity Info? [Re: ColeyG]
ripple Offline
Smolt

Loc: Auburn, WA
That's getting towards the end of the season but a slow day on the Dean is better than most days anywhere. I've been several times and we often end up taking out at Victoria which is just above the falls. That stretch is often accessed by lower dean clients and fishes well even at the end of September. Be ready for some high water events. Weather can raise the river and put it out anytime after labor day or even before. Bring a two hander if you can. The first time I went was the first time I used one (a 14' 9wt St Croix) and I had a blast. Kind of a meat stick but the fish there have more energy than you can imagine especially in the lower waters. The end of Sept can be getting pretty cold up there but the afternoons can be sunny and warm. We may be up there around Labor Day, haven't decided if I can afford it yet.

#570759 - 01/09/10 06:33 PM Re: Lower Dean R. Lodge Opportunity Info? [Re: ripple]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Nymphing is not allowed on the Dean...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1416 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |