LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120902 - 09/07/01 10:01 AM Frozen eggs - help!
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
A friend just recently gave me some salmon eggs that were frozen but not cured. She didn't know you shouldn't freeze salmon eggs before you cure them. But rather than toss them out, I agreed to try to rescue them.

I've never tried to cure previously frozen eggs but I've heard it's not usually successful. I plan to thaw them slowly and cure them per Big Bob's receipe on this website (water/sugar/salt/borax/Pro-glow dye). But this might not be the best way to handle previously frozen eggs. If anyone has previous experience with this or has any ideas or suggestions on how to proceed, let me know. Thanks.

#120903 - 09/07/01 10:10 PM Re: Frozen eggs - help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Instead of thawing them first and then curing them, I strongly suggest you put them into the curing brine while still frozen. This will thaw and cure them at the same time. This will also prevent further damage to the egg sacks membranes because the sodium in the brine cure will immediately start to toughen them before they thaw too much. After they are thawed, continue to leave them curing in the brine a little longer. Then drain them off and pad dry them down gently with non inked plain white paper towells. Then rack them out to dry and tough before before using; or freezing again. If they seem to be somewhat gooey after this process, including the air drying after the brine thaw/curing, then roll them in borax to further toughen and dry them up for river fishing. Good luck. If you do this correctly the eggs should still fish well.

RT

#120904 - 09/08/01 10:11 AM Re: Frozen eggs - help!
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
RT - Thanks for the tip! I will try your suggestion and let you know how it goes.

#120905 - 09/08/01 11:06 AM Re: Frozen eggs - help!
jcw Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Wa, USA
Cohoangler,
How do I find the egg cure instructions on the website? I'd like to try it but can't seem to locate it. Thanks in advance.

#120906 - 09/08/01 07:58 PM Re: Frozen eggs - help!
Eddie L Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle,Wa
Here ya go JCW---->
web page

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1419 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |