Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121580 - 09/18/01 03:11 PM Talkeetna Railroad Fishing Access
Bobber Down Brad Offline
Alevin

Loc: Portland
Does anyone have information regarding taking the train up river from Talkeetna Alaska to acess fishing areas not available fom the road. My brother and I are contemplating a trip next year around the 4th of July. We heard there is an area near a bridge upstream fom Talkeetna that offers some great spots for big chinooks during that time. Apparently you can get on the train with your gear and they will let you off where you like. Do you fly to Anchorage and rent a car or can you get the train from Anchorage? Whats the fishing like? Can you take a raft and float the river? Whats the name of the river? I have only heard sketchy details of this trip and would appriciate any info that you could pass my way. Thanks - B.D Brad confused

#121581 - 09/18/01 03:24 PM Re: Talkeetna Railroad Fishing Access
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Bobber Down Brad:

Well with a great name like that I have to reply laugh I don't have much, but this is what I know.

Fished the Talkeetna a couple of summers ago at the confluence of Clear Cr. and the Talkeetna. Access was via jetsled from the highway below (4-5 miles?) that crossed the lower Talkeetna. The fishing was great (2nd week of July) all fish were huge red crawdads 20 - 45 lbs. No bait allowed! Once you kill a King your done for the day. I never kept any so that I could c&r all day.

Those hawgs hit like small smolts so don't be deceived! Set the hook at the slightest tap and don't hesitate or it's to late. Didn't know about the train.

Good luck!

Bobber Down

"Keep your hooks sharp!"

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#121582 - 09/18/01 03:39 PM Re: Talkeetna Railroad Fishing Access
Bobber Down Brad Offline
Alevin

Loc: Portland
Thanks B.D I appriciate the reply.

#121583 - 09/21/01 02:15 AM Re: Talkeetna Railroad Fishing Access
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Clear Creek is boat accessible, not train accessible.

Having caught two of my biggest chinook ever (50lbs each!) practically in the town of Telkeetna, I'm also trying to learn more about other fishing in the area, such as some of the rivers just north of Talkeetna. July 4 sounds about right. I think the best sources of info may be Alaska RR and some of the guides based in Talkeetna.

BTW this is really silty water. I've found it's best during cold weather when the water level is lower than avarage.

In the mean time, I'm continuing my hunt as are you.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1446 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |