Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121952 - 09/24/01 01:29 PM Opportunities to educate
Rickomatic Offline
Smolt

Loc: Snohomish
We have all in the past few weeks, seen plenty of Neandrathal snaggers on the local rivers. Greed seems to bring out the worst in people. I had an opportunity over the weekend to hopefully educate a snagger.
I went to the Snohomish, under the 522 bridge on Saturday, and "set up shop" next to a young kid, who I noticed was using about a 1/2 ounce sinker with a hook attached, and employing the characteristic cast and jerk jerk jerk method. I informed him that if a game agent came by he would be greeted with a nice fine. The kid really had no idea that this was illegal. He had "been told" that these fish won't bite, and the only way to take them was to snag them. I took the time to show him my setup (spin and glo, shrimp etc.) and that I had practically filled my punchcard using that method. I then proceeded over the next couple hours to land and release 7 nice humpies. He did change his terminal setup after I talked to him. I think he learned something that day. Hopefully he will turn out to be a good, responsible fisherman, who can in the future, pass on the lesson to someone else.
I could have yelled at him, and turned him off completely, but I think, this time, the approach I took, was the right one.

#121953 - 09/25/01 12:53 AM Re: Opportunities to educate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rick
Good Job! This is the same approach I described in my "Snagger: What Can We Do About It?" thread....a "dead horse" now but if someone else wants to revive the discussion in a new or former thread I think it would be great. I'm see'in stuff like yours posted allover this board and others but witout a focus it isn't going anywhere. At least you may have converted one who may go on to convert others. Again good for you !

Cove RV Park& Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1407 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |