LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127045 - 11/18/01 05:01 PM fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
love them but can't ever find them. they hold scent and are soft to the bite. I think steelhead hold on to them a little longer. who knows actualy i just need more shtuf in my vest.

#127046 - 11/18/01 07:56 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Craft Store.

FJ..out

#127047 - 11/18/01 07:58 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
Paranoid Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
Take a trip to your local arts and crafts store. They should carry what you are looking for. They come in several different sizes and colors. I have caught many steelhead on these "puffs".

#127048 - 11/18/01 08:16 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Michaels Crafts chain stores have them in what's called Pom Poms. They come in a good color selection and size selection. Many guys love them for steelhead, and they are much cheaper than in the tackle stores. Same thing for such things as beads and nylon mesh netting for spawn sacks.

#127049 - 11/18/01 08:33 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
Rite aid carries them, Well they did about 5 months ago I am not sure if they still do thought.

Hey does anyone know when the next STS comes out in stores?

#127050 - 11/18/01 10:14 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure up there Plug Puller. The next issue, Dec./Jan. Annual Steelhead issue, goes out to subscribers the last few days of Nov. and then within the first week of Dec. it usually hits the magazine stands.

In my column (The Reel Truth) this upcoming issue, I have our site owner Bob Ball (on plugging) and site member Joe 'Superfly' (float fishing fast water) giving out some good winter steelhead techs; along with my own tech portion too.

#127051 - 11/18/01 11:17 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Spirit River, an Oregon based distributor of flytying materials and flies and sells them packaged up. They come in many differnt colors, a couple differnt sizes and are relatively inexpensive.

Up until a little while ago you could find these packaged pom-poms by Spirit River at most flyshops but that has now changed as they decided to wh*re themselves out and can now be found at GI Joes.

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#127052 - 11/19/01 12:38 AM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
Eddie L Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle,Wa
The pom poms are easy to make with the thicker yarn we use for driftfishing;put 2 or 3 yarn together(depending on the thickness you want your pom poms) laying on a table and using sewing thread and tie a knot every 3/4 to 1 inch along your yarn; then cut between where your thread knots are tied; then fluff and trim your yarn into a yarn ball and you have it.
Then thread your hooks through your knots of the globug(pom pom)and keep them in a box in your vest until ready to use;when on the river take out your leader and tie one end to your swivel and the other end thread through your hook loop(with the globug positioned up next to the hook loop) and tie a snell knot on your hook shank and your snell knot will hold your globug in the position like a baitloop when you driftfish bait .
I like to color mix my yarn to get a multicolor effect; my favorite for wintersteelies is 2 orange and 1 pink yarn tied to get a orange globug with a pink dot or blotch on one side.
Works great on summer runs with artifical baits only rule rivers.
Give it a try and experiment with different colors of yarn.

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Eddie L ]

#127053 - 11/19/01 01:43 AM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
Thanks RT. I have been reading the last issue over and over again, great bathroom material. (haha)
You had a good section on eggs. I esspecially like the one with Tony Dunnington(spelling) on the differnet salmon rivers and what to use. He had alittle too much info when talking about the Hood Canal.

#127054 - 11/19/01 09:49 AM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Easier to do than all of the above. Snell on a good hook, and put whatever color yarn(s) you want under the snell loop. Draw the loop tight, and pinch the yarn betweeen your thumb and fore finger, then trim to size with a scissors. Instant egg pattern. A lot easier than poms, and all you have to do is slide the snell back, trade out colors, repeat the process, and you are good to go. Don't use any scent on the yarn, because it won't help. wink laugh

#127055 - 11/19/01 02:57 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Another method, which is a bit more difficult, but which yields a nearly perfect egg (glo-bug) is to use a fly tying vise. Most tackle stores sell glo bug yarn, pick your colors, use 4-5 stands of your primary color, and one strand of your selected highlight color (this creates the dot). Using dental floss (unwaxed, plain) wrap around the hook shank 8-10 times, add a drop of fly head cement, then wrap back up toward the eye of the hook; place your yarn on the shank of the hook, wrap with the dental floss tightly 5-6 times, then pull the yarn back and secure the floss just behind the eye of the hook with 4 wraps and then 2-3 half hitches. Add a drop of head cement to the knot. Trim the dental floss, and with a pair of SHARP iris scissors, pull the yarn tight upward, and trim the yarn in a semi-circle. With a little practice, you can make some killer steelie glo bugs. My largest steelhead ever was caught on one of these. My usual hook is a #2, either black or bronze. It will take a bit of practice to get it just right, but it's worth it.

#127056 - 11/19/01 03:18 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
THANKS!!! great help never thought of looking at a craft store. any time I can get it cheep I'm there THANKS AGAIN!!!

#127057 - 11/20/01 09:11 AM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
hey plug puller,share your worrys about tony and hood canal.I emailed him and asked what his purpose was.He asured me he would not give out names or specifics.He just likes to intrigue.Truth is most people wouldn't find the glory water too much work!Maybe I will see you out there .I drive an old suburu with a big tube on top.

#127058 - 11/21/01 03:07 PM Re: fuzzy corkies ? where to finde them?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
So how do you guys fish these pom poms? Just push them up to the top of your hook, or actually thread them onto your line, above the hook? Thanks.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 392 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |