LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129176 - 12/04/01 06:29 AM What the heck to do when you're blown?1 Besides rolling over and going to sleep.
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
I've got an arsenal of cerise, white and black x-cut bunny jigs tied on heads from First Cast (nickle) and Rainbow Jig heads (pink, pearl, and purple powder heads)...in addition my stockpile of Berkley 4-inch bubble gum worm jigs (complete with Schlappen collars) is getting satisfactory.

Tons of cerise bunny leeches in weighted and non-weighted. Glue-gun eggs and clusters are ready to roll. Just need the good water.

What is everyone else doing to stay sane?

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Chuckn'Duck ]

#129177 - 12/04/01 08:14 AM Re: What the heck to do when you're blown?1 Besides rolling over and going to sleep.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd say forget about your jigs and bunny leeches, consider yourself a lucky man, and drift fish off to sleep. smile Some genius long ago said "what goes up must come down". In your case, I figure that applies to more than the river this fine morning.

#129178 - 12/04/01 10:48 AM Re: What the heck to do when you're blown?1 Besides rolling over and going to sleep.
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Still fishin my options just get more limited. laugh laugh

Tight lines

Kevin

SRBC

#129179 - 12/04/01 11:49 AM Re: What the heck to do when you're blown?1 Besides rolling over and going to sleep.
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Take solace in the fact that a blown river cannot be gillnetted as effectively as a river at lower flow levels. Remember last season when the rivers were basically blocked for days at a time. At least when flows return to normal there will be fish in the rivers. If it was another low water year, the fish wouldn't make it past the nets in some systems.

#129180 - 12/04/01 12:05 PM Re: What the heck to do when you're blown?1 Besides rolling over and going to sleep.
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I've been fishin!! my little "GO TO" river has 2ft vis. laugh

You could run over and visit JEB I he said his river is good color and plumb full of fish!!!

#129181 - 12/04/01 05:36 PM Re: What the heck to do when you're blown?1 Besides rolling over and going to sleep.
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I been tying jigs like a mad man, respooling reels with new line, tying drift rigs, patching waders, getting egg stains out of my vest, sorting my vest pockets, getting all the swivels, corkies and pieces of lead that somehow got randomly tossed in any-which (new term) pocket and basically driving my wife and kids crazy.

#129182 - 12/05/01 02:28 PM Re: What the heck to do when you're blown?1 Besides rolling over and going to sleep.
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
The last two weekends, I almost rolled over and went back to sleep, but I'm glad I didn't. I spend almost all of my time on the Kalama and I've never noticed the high, dirty water put the fish down. You just have to find the areas of soft water created by the changing conditions. The fish get right up against the banks in the soft water and I've had luck with 1/4 oz. jigs in these conditions, as well as with shrimp and with eggs.

Last weekend, the water was as high and as dirty as I've ever fished and I did reasonably well. At the end of the day, I was dinking around in a very cramped area of soft water. I was just flipping eggs under a float 3 to 5 feet from the bank. After about 15 minutes, I noticed a bright winter fish right at my feet, not a foot from shore and in not more than a foot of water. It would only become visable as every once in a while it would drift up near the surface and turn. When it did this, you could see it was a two-toner. The only problem was, it was too shallow to fish to. I'm sure I passed over more fish like that that were even closer to the bank than I was fishing when I thought I was fishing effectively close to the bank.

I don't know if the fish behave like this where you are, but if high water is all you have, you might try just fishing the quiet edges.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Streamer), 1443 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |