THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131814 - 12/26/01 07:29 PM Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would someone explain to me the logic of killing a wild steelhead. I must be missing something because it escapes me. Claims of 10% mortality rate from catch and release? Even if that number were close to being real would that justify it? "Oh well might as well kill it because it MIGHT die anyway" Geez confused

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: BIG STEW ]

#131815 - 12/26/01 07:44 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
The problem with catch and release is all the dummies that mishandle the fish. I went on a guided trip once,after neting the fish every one had to hanle the fish take pictures of it. one 18# hen was gill hooked they riped the hook out and set it free, I wanted to cry. that trip pissed me off!!!

#131816 - 12/26/01 09:25 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Desertdrifter,
I agree with you that would make me angry as well and I'd be posting that guides name all over the place and recommending people NOT hire him.

1. never net fish you intend to release
2. no barbs, no bait and no trebles
3. never remove the fish from the water
4. have the camera ready before landing the fish it's life is more valueable than your glory shot
this is common sence

On the other hand even that 18lb hen that you described still has more of a chance of spawning that one hit on the head with a stick

#131817 - 12/26/01 09:31 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
If you hook {truly hook} a Native in the gills it will die, because their blood will not clot. Is this "waste of game fish" {Harvest Rules} Or do you keep it, write it down and if you get busted let the judge decide? What would you do?

#131818 - 12/26/01 09:47 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
uh oh G-man, now you did it, your gonna wake up the elitists...i hope the bashing doesn't get to bad...maybe they will keep in mind we are still in the holiday season...i hope

#131819 - 12/26/01 10:22 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
KSR, you seem to have strange perspective on G-MANS thoughts rolleyes In my opinion your input could be viewed as an attempt to bait a few fish into taking a sniff eek I can almost guaranty that your quarry will sniff out the bad bait like week old sandshrimp eek

Great subject BS and input guys! Anyone would come away effected by both releasing a sure mortality or keeping that mortally wounded fish. Is there a wrong or right? Got me!

FJ...out.

#131820 - 12/26/01 10:39 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Being educated about proper handling of fish is the key! The info that Rob Allen posted was great! I also like his logic too. A mishandled fish STILL has a better chance of survival than one that is clubbed on the head.Unfortunately too many TV anglers exhibit poor fish handling. Even some of the local guys from years past did not handle released fish very well.

#131821 - 12/26/01 11:18 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

my intent was to cut it off before it started, in a way...looks like it worked, and thats a good thing.

it seems like anyone who hints at the mere mention of intentionally killing a wild steelhead for whatever reason starts a few of the "locals" into bashing...it seems like some on this board are not receptive to an open constructive debate on this subject.

this topic is a good post as far as im concerned. i would like to hear more opinions about it, in a constructive way of course.

make me out to be the bad guy if you want, but i speak the truth...

peace out, brother

#131822 - 12/26/01 11:19 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I disagree with Rob on not netting fish that you intend to release. While poorly handled netting can be hard on a fish, I think you can get a fish to hand much more quickly if you net it than if you beach it, and further, if you're in a boat, you really have no choice. If you can get the fish to hand more quickly, the fish suffers less stress, and is more likely to survive.

So what is a poorly handled netted fish? One that you net, bring into the boat, and let thrash around on the bottom of the boat for 3 minutes while you remove the hook, disentangle your plug before releasing the fish, etc. Keep the fish over the side of the boat, gills and mouth in the water, head upstream, while you unhook it, and then release it before you worry about your gear. If I see am intact adipose fin, that fish never touches the floor of my boat.

The objection will be made that a net removes skin mucous (sp) causing the fish to be at risk. The reading I have done from various sources indicates that this is not a risk to the fish, and that our concerns about removing slime hurting the fish are an old wive's tail. I can't name the source, but I read it somewhere, and my recollection is that the source was a fish biologist type. I could definitely be wrong here.

I firmly believe that netting fish is better for the fish than beaching the fish, but am open to contrary arguments.

#131823 - 12/27/01 12:14 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
A fish hooked in the gills should live if you cut the line. dont net a fish you dont want to keep.reach over the side of the boat and releas it. if the hook is hard to get out again cut the line!!

#131824 - 12/27/01 01:15 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
The main problem is that most people fishing look at the regulations and if it is legal to keep one, then they do it. Majority don't know anything about diminishing runs etc. They are busy with their works and family and ... Just because we surf the net and follow salmon/steelhead related issues don't assume others do as well. If you are for native release, the ultimate solution is to get it into the regs and then enforce it. I would not bash anyone who keeps a fish if it is legal to do so.

#131825 - 12/27/01 02:37 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a wild steelhead is deeply bait hooked in the gills and bleeding heavily it has a higher chance to die before spawning. So if it's legal to keep it in a river with a reasonably healthy run you could consider keeping it without much basis for guilt. But don't keep fished hooked in this manner if it's illegal to keep native fish. That's because it would open it up for fishers to just say their bonked nate was bleeding and almost dead, even if the fish was just fine for release. ...

Two things can be done to minimize this occurance. One is not to use diver and bait combos when numbers of nates are in the river. The other thing is to play them in quickly, yet without horsing them in, and just cut the leader off. Some of those gill hooked fish may spawn before they die.

When in doubt, which is the majority of cases, release nates. When regulated to do so, always release them regardless of condition. My 0.02.

RT

#131826 - 12/27/01 02:57 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Guys, every fish I have ever caught, that was hooked in the gills bled. I've released Nates with a sick feeling in my gut because I know that they are bleeding and their DEAD. Knowing this, did I break the "Intentionally waste Game fish Law?" Knowing, if I release this fish it's wasted, or do I keep it? Cutting the hook off on a bleeding fish does nothing to save it. Even a fish with a hook in it's tongue is dead. What would you do?

#131827 - 12/27/01 03:17 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Returning Adult

G-MAN,

My understanding is that in WA if you hook a fish that is illegal to keep you have to release it no matter what even if it is cut in half. If you are doing CNR and you hook a fish that is bleeding/dying and it is a legal fish to keep then you have to keep it and count it towards your daily limit and you can not release that fish.

#131828 - 12/27/01 03:17 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

G-man,

A steelhead hooked in the gills has a high chance of dying, but don't assume they all do. Some fish that are hooked in the gills and bleeding like a stuck pig when released do survive. As part of a study years ago, a steelhead hooked on a barbed treble on the Snake River was bleeding when boated, tagged, and released. That fish showed up at the hatchery many weeks later, ready to spawn. As others have indicated, bonking a fish results in zero % survival. The release of fish in poor condition results in a higher % survival, but much less than 100%. Since a released fish has some chance of survival, even if as little as 1%, there is no wastage of gamefish violation.

Silver Hilton,

As for netting and beaching, neither does the fish any favors. I'm referring specifically to the most common nets I see in boats on the rivers. These are made of knotted polypropolene webbing. They cut through the slime layer and then scrap a lot of scales off. The scale loss leaves the fish's skin open to infection, which will increase the mortality rate by some amount. I don't know how much. The knottless nylon or polyester webbing nets are very much gentler on fish, and I do wish they were more readily available to anglers, as they do facilitate a more rapid handling and release of fish.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#131829 - 12/27/01 03:26 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

G-MAN,

What basis do you use to declare that all gill and tongue hooked steelhead are "DEAD"? Floating along not moving? Likely could die alright, but some rest that way and still recover. I have talked to fish bios and read the definitive study by the ODFW, under observation by the NMFS, of their extensive 2 year C&R survival rate study in which thousands of fish were caught and released in every manner (both correctly and abusively) and tagged as such. It proved a good precent of the gill hooked fish with the leader cut off not only survived, they swam over the Willamette Falls fish ladders and then swam another 100+ miles to salmon/steelhead fish hatcheries. ... [For more study info details or for a copy of the study, call the Clackamas office of the ODFW at 503-657-2000 - preferable to ask for manager Steve King, or Craig Foster].

Also, releasing a fish that might die does not fit the "Intentionally waste Game fish Law?". For even the released ones that do die it has been proven in recent years that their carasses are a vital benefit to the entire river eco-system - particularly in helping increase the survival rate of native fish fry/smolts!

As for your question, "What would you do?", read my post just above your last post there and find a good suggestion for your dilema. Thanks.

RT

Edit: See that KSR? The whole thread still has no bashing. Quite civil in fact. Cool. >
And Salmo, I was typing my reply here as you were posting yours, so didn't see if before hand. Thanks for your input. - Steve

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#131830 - 12/27/01 04:34 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

yes RT, that is cool!!! and many good points brought up too...

#131831 - 12/27/01 05:30 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Returning Adult

I agree that if you release a bleeding fish it has more than zero percent (as oppose to keeping it) chance of surviving, however, in WA Statewide General Freshwater Rules it is stated that "If any fish has swallowed the hook or is hooked in the gill, eye, or tongue, it should be kept if legal to do so".

Based on this rule, I wonder if you release a fish that was hooked in the gill or eye or tongue, which we all agree is better than killing it, can you get in trouble if the game warden catches you? Any ideas?

#131832 - 12/27/01 06:57 AM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

UFK, I don't have the regs handy, but your quote has the word "should" in it. Given that, I seriously doubt anyone who uses proper release methods for a hook injured fish would get in any trouble at all; even in the event it should float back up top again (read above about floating fish that sometimes rest and revive, while appearing to be dying). These fish are tougher and more resilient than many think they are.

#131833 - 12/27/01 10:13 PM Re: Catch and Kill? wheres the logic?
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Great discussion guys. I totally agree with RT. I wouldn't keep one either. Thanks for the info on the study on injured and released fish. I was told differant, probley by someone who can't even spell STUDY. It's amazing how much information and teaching is available in these forums. Thanks. Did I spell probley correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 681 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |