Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131655 - 12/25/01 02:22 AM BIG BRAG
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
Today was a banner day for me, I am no longer a fly virgin! got my first steelhead on a fly today!! I started out on the Sky but the wind was really howlin' so I went to a nice quiet little river where there was no-one but me. I actually caught two fish, first a very nice 3# bull trout, what a beautiful fish! and then a 9# hatchery steelie. I kept it only because it was the first. I used a green wooly-bugger, I am now a believer in wooly-buggers! The bull trout was a hoot but the steelie was awsome!, made three strong runs before It came to hand, there wasn't anyone else on this section of river either, the only thing bad about it was there wasn't anyone to take a picture, or share the moment with. The best present I could have ever hoped for. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night! cool

#131656 - 12/25/01 03:02 AM Re: BIG BRAG
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Congratulations!!!!! smile smile

#131657 - 12/25/01 06:48 AM Re: BIG BRAG
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats Papa! Now you know the thrill of a steelie slamming a fly and making your fly reel scream. Maybe no one was there at the moment to share it with you, but one of the nice things about this BB is sharing it here with your peer fishermen. I was alone when I hooked my first steelhead on a fly. It was long ago on the Washougal River. It was on a 10' sink tip line with a size 6 double hook royal coachman fly. I had been practicing everything I learned from reading Trey Combs "Steelhead Flyfishing and Flys" book for a few weeks, without success. On this day a deep swing in May brought a strong skamania summer steelie strike, and it took off on a long reel sreaming run into the flyline backing line. Then it stopped and jumped downriver and the hook came out. Exilerated, stunned, and pained; all in about 30 seconds. That fish gave me the thrill and confidence to go on to some good success at it. But like you, I had no one there to share that with. (Just like Kid Sauk when he experiences the passions of the flesh. eek laugh - sorry about that one, I'm still going thru my 12 step program of questionable joke avoidance training.)

#131658 - 12/25/01 10:20 PM Re: BIG BRAG
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
Papa, remember, hatchery steelhead were planted to be caught and eaten. Don't feel sorry for bonking them, but feel sorry when you hear about a Native that was bonked. Awesome job, congrats.

#131659 - 12/25/01 11:38 PM Re: BIG BRAG
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
G-MAN,
I totally agree on your points, I just don't like to keep more than I really need, besides my wife say's that we have enough in the freezer as it is, and she's right (for once!)
ha-ha!

Thanks,
laugh

#131660 - 12/26/01 09:45 PM Re: BIG BRAG
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
Papa, if your freezer is full may I suggest pickled steelhead? It is my favorite way to fix Head or salmon. Time consuming, but well worth it. Plus it will last forever.

#131661 - 12/26/01 10:40 PM Re: BIG BRAG
steelheadaddict01 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kaizer OR, formerly MT and WA
This brings up a great subject. I have the Trey Combs book, and have attempted at dry fly fishing for steelhead. Mostly with muddlers and waller walkers. A hit from a steely on a dry seems like it would kick bait fishing in the ole keister! ( as much as I love bait fishing) The thrill of seeing a steelhead rise to a dry or wet fly must be unbelievable!
How many of you out there have had success with dry flies in the summer?

#131662 - 12/26/01 11:02 PM Re: BIG BRAG
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
G-MAN, sounds interesting care to share that recipe? You can E-mail it.

Thanks,

FJ...out.

#131663 - 12/26/01 11:47 PM Re: BIG BRAG
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
SHA 101,

Can't say that I've gotten one to the dry, but I have lured multiple fish to a streamer fly fished inches below the surface. The fly, a Silver Hilton, of course.

I is a great strike, as you can usually see the fish come from a long way away, watch the gills flair, and see the white in the inside of the mouth when he strikes. If you can avoid snatching the fly away the first time you see it, you're a better man than I.

#131664 - 12/28/01 04:06 PM Re: BIG BRAG
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Say G-Man, I'd be interested in that recipe too, if you could email it to me I'd greatly appreciate it! smile

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1149 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |