Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132029 - 12/28/01 02:54 PM Tackle boxes, bags, vests, ect
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
How do you carry your stuff when fishing?

Have you ever picked up your tackle box only to find that you did not latch it properly and all your stuff is laying on the ground (or in the water or between rocks)? Well, unless I'm in a boat, I never use a tackle box!

I have a vest, and have used them quite a bit, but lately, I've been using a tackle bag with a shoulder strap. I've been very happy with it.

I tend to fish on the move, hitting a fishy spot for a few minutes, then moving on to the next one. And I like to wade in the water and cross to the other side when possible. A shoulder bag or a vest is the best option I've found for this.

I have also started using a chest pack. Especially when fly fishing and when I plan on wading deeper than usual. I also use it only if I'm sticking to one kind of technique for the day (like spinners/spoons or jig/bobber, or drift fishing, ect - but not combining any of these together).

When fishing for salmon and steelhead, I find that I'm changing tactics often. I like to bring plugs, spinners, spoons, bait, floats, and jigs for example. I've found that the shoulder bag works great because you can hold a lot of stuff, and you have easy access to it.

I have small clear plastic tackle containers for each type of gear: 1 for plugs, 1 for spoons, 1 for spinners, 1 for jigs, 1 for weights and swivels, ect. This allows me to carry many diffent things, without making a mess in the bag. I use the pockets for leader, knife, camera, and other things that are always needed on a given trip.

OK - so this isn't as an exciting topic as C&R or Bankie vs Boater, but it is fishing related (:

So what works for you?

#132030 - 12/28/01 06:45 PM Re: Tackle boxes, bags, vests, ect
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
What is up with those retired monikers? frown

FJ...out.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Fish Jesus ]

#132031 - 12/28/01 07:53 PM Re: Tackle boxes, bags, vests, ect
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I like to carry a little of everything so I have converted to a fanny pack. It is less cumbersome then carring a bag and it feels a lot better then those 20+lb vest with every pocket filled with stuff. There are a lot of fanny packs out in the market for fishermen but I like 3 brands.
1. The JW fanny pack. It has padding and plenty of room plus pockets and it is one of the most comfortable packs I have yet to use. When you need something, just turn it in front and get what you need and then return to your backside.
2. LL Bean modular packs are roomy for just about evrything you can need to carry and the chest or waist conversion is nice.
3.IMD System(Interchangeable Modular design).
A lot like the JW packs but you can buy different bags and components to customize what you wanna carry. It has locking mechinism that clips to the main belt and you can take off or add on different pouches. Waterbottle holder, Waterproof camera bag, from large to small or vice versa bags. You name it it will have an interchangeable pouck or holder for it.

All these fanny packs will not bankrupt you either.

#132032 - 12/28/01 11:55 PM Re: Tackle boxes, bags, vests, ect
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I carry all my crap in a Sage Guide Line Backpack. They have enough room for all the crap I like to carry and then some. Plus the balance very well on my back so I can walk 100's of yards without knowing I'm carring 50 pounds of my fishing [Bleeeeep!].

When I am fishing a run I just throw it down on the bank. And because I wear a Simms Guide Jacket which has lots of pockets, I jsut throw some lead and cinches and pliers and such in the pockets and I can fish a run without having to walk back to my backpack.

It is by far the best way I have found to carry all my gear while I am fishing!!!

#132033 - 12/29/01 12:58 AM Re: Tackle boxes, bags, vests, ect
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
FJ - thanks for asking.

I started out as "chadk" when I was just checking out the site from work one day, and did not plan on sticking around long.
Then, when I was trying to access the site from home one day, I forgot my password (I didn't know at the time that I could change it to an easy one - so I kept the one the site admins gave me). Since I didn't have access at the time to my work email that had the password, I just created a new login. So for a while, when at work, I was Chadk, and at home, I was FishnBudee.

Now that I'm addicted to this site, I want to stick with one moniker going forward - so I wanted anyone interested to know that I'm not trying to be deceitful - I just wanted a more fun name...

Sorry for any confusion!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |