LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112071 - 04/18/01 10:33 PM Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really like the concept of the Thill 'Steelheader' float that quickly snaps on and off, as a stationary float. This allows you to quickly switch between floatfishing egg clusters or shrimp over to driftfishing them; depending on the water fished. The problem is the biggest one offered is only about an 1 1/8th" version that is just too small to use with sufficient lead weight much of the time. They work OK for up to 1/4 oz. jigs. But they need to make a 2" version for heavier things, as mentioned. Anyone know how to contact them to suggest that to them? Any alternative ideas for a quick change snap on float option? Thanks.

RT

#112072 - 04/18/01 11:06 PM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
RT,

Link to Lindy Little Joe
http://www.lindylittlejoe.com/products/thill/default.htm

Give them a holler. They're just now figuring out that there is a fairly large market for their floats out here and they might appreciate some feedback.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#112073 - 04/19/01 08:55 AM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
dumy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: lacey
rt mick thill doesnt make thill floats for lindy anymore, he makes custom floats that are far above anything else. you can email him and maybe talk him into letting you feild test some of your ideas. he is a great guy and we should support him in his quest to make quality floats. he seperated from lindy a couple of years ago because they were not producing quality floats anymore and didnt want his name on them. i dont know his email or web site so just search mick thill.

#112074 - 04/19/01 07:26 PM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
RT, I talked to them and they are considering working on a larger float. Hang in there!

#112075 - 04/19/01 08:53 PM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Try attaching the foam type floats with two rubber bands, that will allow for a quick change over and also is easy to adjust the depth.

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: stever in everett ]

#112076 - 04/19/01 09:08 PM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Jigman. Tell them to hurry for us before next fall on some bigger ones! ...

And Stever, that's a good idea to try some experiments with both foam and cork floats jeririgged on with a rubber band, so that it can be taken right off for driftfishing w/o having to waste time re-tying. Thanks.

RT

#112077 - 04/19/01 09:38 PM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stever, your suggestion helped me think of an idea for a float that will allow quick change back and forth from floatfishing eggs to driftfishing them (or whatever you're using).

I like the old fashioned round cork floats for both castablity and clearwater stealth. Using the plastic stem plugs at both ends of the cork will work as follows: cut about a 2" piece of 15 or 20 lb. mono and lightly plug both ends into one side of the cork and it's at your ready. When the driftfishing gets snaggy then hook on this float fixed to your mainline at the depth you want to fish by doubling about 1/4" of your mainline into the other cork hole and plugging it in with the plastic stem. Buy a cheap bag of stems because a fish on will likely pop it out into the water. An alternative to losing stems would be to paint several of them black and just run your driftfishing mainline thru it with the tapered end downward and leave it nestle against your swivel/lead. This small black stem shouldn't distract the fish and it's there to bring up the line to plug into the cork as mentioned above. Before you cast take out the short piece of line in the other cork end and encircle the mainline then plug both ends into the corkhole tightly with the plastic stem. This will retain your cork as it slides down to your swivel/lead rigup during the fish fight. The key to having it stay on is using a thicker mono (or perhaps a section of rubber band) very tightly plugged into the other hole with the plastic stem. Should work fine. Any ideas to improve this idea guys? Thanks.

RT

#112078 - 04/20/01 07:13 AM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Hey Guys. The rubber bands work great for dinks, but you have a solution for the balsa and cork stem floats right under your nose. Just cut a couple of pieces of surgical tubing about 1/4" long, and run your line throught them when you rig up. Secure them over the top and bottom stem of your float, and you have a very quick way to change depth without line abrasion, and also a quick way to switch between floats. Been doing it for years, and it works great. Also great for light line, when you got the kids out somewhere fishing for sunfish or crappies with a float. 6 inches of tubing will last you most of the year. Good luck

#112079 - 04/20/01 04:00 PM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
smoky Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Lake Oswego, Oregon
RT:

Thanks for the skinny on the Wind.

After reading this post on bobbers I went out and grabbed a cork float and some black surgical tube.

I came up with a variation of what you and Hawk were describing that will work on the cork floats you like.

Run your main through two small pieces of tube. Snip a small section off the top of the plastic cones. Just enough to lessen the diameter so you can fit surgical tube over it. Not too much or you wont have enough for the tube to grab. Insert the cones into the bobber just enough to snug, leaving
half the cone sticking out. Slip the tube over the cones, the same way the old schoolers do with pencil lead.

Big Stew and I are going down the Wilson on Sat. Ill let you know how the bobber rig works.

#112080 - 04/20/01 04:18 PM Re: Thill/Lindy "Steelheader" Floats - Alternatives?
Ratherbfishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Great post guys. I am fairly new to steelheading and this is the kind of info that really helps. I tried float fishing a bit this winter, but would have done so more except for having to retie the whole rig. I will definitely experiment with these ideas next time I go. smile

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |