Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112579 - 04/26/01 11:16 AM Lewis and Kalama
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Brier, WA
I am heading down this weekend and I have no idea what I am getting myself into. I can't decide what river to float or what drift to do, leaning towards the Lewis at this point starting at the hatchery and taking out ????. Anyone have any reports from Either or any tips or advice they would be willing to share via e-mail. We have all the correct springer tackle, just need to figure out the where. Maybe I should do the Kalama? argghhh First time trips can be so frustrating. We were also going to bring 2 vehicles down, but If anyone here will be down their Fri, Sat, maybe Sun also let me know maybe we can do the shuttle thing and I can leave the second vehicle home.

#112580 - 04/26/01 11:49 AM Re: Lewis and Kalama
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Qwik, I was up the Kalama on sun doing some work on property I have up above. Saw a lot of guys and boats on the river. Stopped in a t Pritchards to get new out of state license and the guy said fishng had been alright a few springers and mostly summer runs. Did talk to a guy in the parking lot that had one summer and another take down. Hope this helps a little.

#112581 - 04/26/01 12:37 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
As for the lewis, the river is running 1500cfs which is great for a driftboat. I would reccomend the drift between the hatchery and the Lewis river golf course. It's all rookie water to row and it's a great section to catch either springers, or summer runs. We have been fishing the hatchery/meathole area and have been limiting most trips on springers and an occasional summer run. But haven't really concentrated on summer runs though.
Hope this helps
keith

#112582 - 04/26/01 01:11 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

stlhdr1 I have been reading through the archives and the meathole/hatchery keeps coming up so I think I will start their, besides anyplace called the meathole has to be good. Any info on what ramp to use and are they well marked? Are the ramps on the south side of the river or north side. It looks like their is a road on either side of the river.
thanks.

#112583 - 04/26/01 01:53 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
If you fish the Kalama the limit is 6 salmon. If you fish the Lewis the slamon limit is 1. I know that the North Fork has been doing well for salmon and steelhead. Talked to a guy who caught a 27lb steelie 2 weeks ago. Fished the East Fork last night caught for small smolts. Hooked into a larger fish (steelhead) but lost it. Either way you still get to go fishing.

#112584 - 04/26/01 02:00 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Qwik;
There are launches on either side of the river at the hatchery (meathole). The Golf Course and Island ramps are both on the North side of the river. Coming into the Island ramp, you need to be sure to stay hard right or you will go right past it. The Island ramp has a huge parking area and is marked with one of those public access signs.

It maybe 6 salmon on the Kalama, but keep in mind only 2 may be adults.

Kalama is an easy drift from Pritchards to Modrow Bridge. There are a number of other launches/takeouts on your way down.

Good Luck!

GutZ

#112585 - 04/26/01 10:58 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
IDidItAllForTheNookies Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup
Qwiksticks,
Check your e-mail.

#112586 - 04/26/01 11:56 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Quik,
We went up this evening and hooked two springers in an hour. Fishing isn't really that hot it's just a matter of finding them. Like I said earlier the river is running sort of low so it limits the areas to catch springers. We fished steelhead after and didn't have any luck. I also talked to a buddy of mine in a drift boat and he had lost a steelhead.
Keith

#112587 - 04/27/01 03:21 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I'm interested in heading down to the Kalama but don't have a boat. How are the bank fishermen doing on springers?

#112588 - 04/27/01 05:43 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
JacobF, from what I've heard they're not doing much. Only a few here and there.

#112589 - 04/27/01 10:13 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Watched a guy land one at beginners hole on the kalama, I didn't have my rod so I just watched. He hooked it on eggs, the fish was about 12 pounds though. It's a great hole to fish from the bank. There are several spots that are good all up and down the river for springers from the bank though.
Keith

#112590 - 04/30/01 10:41 AM Re: Lewis and Kalama
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

We did the Lewis this weekend and heres my thoughts on the Lewis. First I was very surprised at how deep the holes were on this river. It seemed like most of the really nice pieces of water were 15 - 25 feet deep. If you want to fish the meat hole put an electric motor on the back of your boat because you need to be able to control your boat withing a few feet of all the other boats as you get in line and move down through the hole. I managed one hit in the meathole on Saturday in the one and only pass I took through it. Would have rowed backup but I didn't feel it was fair for me to take up the majority of the hole with my oars sticking out with all the boats their Saturday. We did manage to hook two small summers. A little electric would also be a big plus in the rest of the river also since most of the fishing is done bouncing bait under boat as you slowly work your way down the slot. I will say I am happy that I was able to see another river, but next year I may try something else like the Kalama.

#112591 - 04/30/01 11:56 AM Re: Lewis and Kalama
Ron Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carnation, wa
I was thinking on going down on tuesday and Wendsday. Just wondering how many you saw caught. I've fished it several times in the past so I know what I'm up against. Any info in numbers would be helpful. You can e-mail me if you need to. thanks

#112592 - 04/30/01 01:55 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
I also fished down there Sat and about 7 AM there was a good bite in the meat hole it was limits for just about everyone. Schrimp or eggs will do the trick smile

#112593 - 04/30/01 02:14 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Fished the Lewis (North) and only saw three fish caught the whole day. The fishing is slow but they can be caught.

And Keith E-mail me about going Fishing. I could use some help catching something other than smolts.

#112594 - 05/01/01 12:41 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
finclipped Offline
Fry

Loc: Vancouver
I just called the WDFW and the Lewis river is closed from Johnson Creek to Colvin Creek for fishing out of a boat (this includes the meat hole). Am I missing something? Are you all fishing the meat hole from the bank? Clue me in.

#112595 - 05/01/01 01:25 PM Re: Lewis and Kalama
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
Yes it just closed for boats as of today eek

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Big Fisher, Satan, Tackle Shack
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 550 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |