Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112894 - 05/01/01 02:06 PM Out with a Bang
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
I closed out my 2001 Lower Columbia springer season in good fashion on Sat. with three fish, 2 released and one 24 lb. hatchery in the can. I'd heard for years that to have a successfull day springer fishing, one fish was considered a blessing. Well, hey nothing to this deal. If I can have multiple fish days these are the easiest critters to ever bite a hook!
Seriously though, I'd never fished the Columbia for any type of salmon and fortunately was able to fish it for 11 days (even helped RT flatten a couple of tires on the way to Cath. one AM). I'm not a big fan of tight quarters when fishing (avoided the Nisqually green can deal after one trip) and got a crash course in hoglines and sardine pack trolling lanes. I was amazed at how smooth both operations worked when 99% of the people worked together. After a few trips it was almost a social event, seeing the same boats and faces (must have been alot of strange maladies showing up this spring...sick days at a premium now!!!!!). I'm sure I trolled past or anchored up around more than a few board members. Just have good things to say about this fishery and hope the runs are strong enough in future years to warrant more fisheries like the one we had on the L.C.
Next year I'm gonna figure out how to catch one of these buggers on my 9 wt. Loomis. I'm thinking about spooling my large arbor Redington with mono, tying on a magnum Tullis wiggle-bug and running it just off the bottom using my downrigger and 30 ft of line when anchored up...should work like a kwikfish. I'll have to pilfer some of RT's secret stink juice to soak the wiggle bugs in. Anyhow, could be a hoot with a springer on the end. smile

#112895 - 05/01/01 02:24 PM Re: Out with a Bang
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Ahhh .. cheating with the bug rod wink

Lots of fun!! We do it in Alaska for both kings and silvers, but we just use an ounce of lead and backbounce 'em in a couple of feet of water ...

got a fast connection? You can download a video clip from a film shoot with Fisherman's Heaven TV show of us doing it for silvers on the Kasilof:

Fisherman's Heaven Video

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#112896 - 05/01/01 03:56 PM Re: Out with a Bang
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Ridgefield, WA
C&D: If you want to try your fly rod, use a sinking line, or sink tip and a mag wart. Hold on. You do not have to respool with mono. Just tie on a 10-20' mono leader to end of fly line. This also works great for sh.
If you don't think you are geting deep enough use a couple of the rubber core twist leads.

Want more info, let me know.

The Giz..

[ 05-01-2001: Message edited by: The Reel Gizmo Man ]

#112897 - 05/01/01 07:38 PM Re: Out with a Bang
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Great vid Bob (man, I love high speed access). That got me pumped to get back up there.

Nothing quite like salmon on a fly.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1217 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |