THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113003 - 05/02/01 10:57 PM How do you sharpen your knife???
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
OK folks how do you keep that knife sharp? I have many knives I use and am a firm believer in keeping them sharp. If your knife is dull you may as not even bringing it along. My best blade will come from a sand stone. I have to put them in water for a hour then it will take 45 minutes and two stones to get a knife sharp enough to shave with. This being a fact I allways am looking for a pocket sharpener that will keep a fine blade on my knifes. What have you folks found that works good. For me the best I have found to date is the " Speedy Sharp" About half a carpenters pencil in size. It comes with a carbon edge and about three stroks per side keeps the blade real sharp. Do youfolks have any real good ones you use???

#113004 - 05/02/01 11:23 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I suggest you try to find a pocket set of ceramic cross sticks made by Buck. They are about five inches long and come apart to fit in their own stand. If you start with a good edge it only takes minutes for shaving sharp edge. It won't work at all if you don't have a good edge to start with! It cost me maybe $15.00 and it is the only sharpening method I take hunting or fishing now at all. Dressing big game is easy. I work for several minutes, wipe the goo off, take a few lapps and go back to work. I have never found anything better. Good luck!
JTD
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#113005 - 05/03/01 12:16 AM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
JCSkagit Offline
Fry

Loc: concrete,wa.us
Kalamabama,

There's two tricks to keepin' a knife sharp. The first is the quality of the steel.
The second is to keep the blade at the same angle against the stone while you are sharpening. NO EASY TASK ! The reason being , if the bevel is rounded from the body of the blade to the cutting edge , it won't stay sharp. Ceramic's are fine for a touch-up in the field , but it's the edge you spend time on when ya can't fish that makes the difference. One other thought , if you lay a bevel at 15 degrees , the knife will be VERY sharp for a short time. If your bevel is 30 to 35 degrees , it won't loose it's edge as quickly , thus you won't be sharpening as often to finish the job at hand.

#113006 - 05/03/01 10:43 AM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
I use the chefs choice electric sharpener. Kinda spendy, but the diamond honed blades are very sharp. You can use a sandstone for honing after, but I find that unless you are very good, you just dull the blade rather than make it better. Not for on the river, but if you take it out sharp, you rarely need to re-sharpen during the day.

#113007 - 05/03/01 02:22 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
My dad is a wood carver and he can sharpen a knife so sharp I cut myself just testing it. So it is easy I just give him all the dull ones and get back sharp ones eek

#113008 - 05/03/01 02:40 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

K B Thats funny my Dad is a wood carver also. So as a kid I spent many hours behind a stone. I still think its the best way to put a edge on your blade. Just not the fastest.

#113009 - 05/03/01 03:19 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I use the chef's choice 120 model also.I suck
at sharpening knives,so I spent the $120.00 bucks for the most kick butt sharpener I've
every seen or used.I sharpen all ten then resharpen as needed after fishin trips.Useually the edge on the knives will last three or four trips,depending on harvest
rates.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#113010 - 05/03/01 06:38 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
I always use a diamond hone on all my knives. You can get them in a large/small size. I like the ones that are oval shaped. Awesome for the pack too. A couple of strokes and your in the money. I always throw a couple of swipes at 'em every time I use them so they stay "frosty"

#113011 - 05/03/01 10:29 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Anonymous
Unregistered

i put my dull knives in a box with all the other dull ones and go buy a sharp one....

#113012 - 05/04/01 11:52 AM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Send em to me dog

#113013 - 05/04/01 12:03 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
I have one of those sharpeners that clamp the knife in so the angle stays the same. Has 4 choices for angles. Gets everything razor sharp.Works great, do all my knives and the kitchen knives at the station. now if I can just get the guys at the station to quit putting them in the dishwasher and take care of them.

#113014 - 05/04/01 04:29 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
I've got one of those plastic orange-handled sharpeners with two V-shaped sets of steels in it... it's got a coarse one and a fine one, and I forget the name of it... it's the best sharpener I've had yet. I first saw it at the Vancouver boat show, the lady at the booth had an additional one that was a super fine butcher steel grade, still the same design, two steels in a V shape. She sharpened my Swiss Army pocket knife, and it was SHARP. You brace it against your counter and sharpen that way. It's quick and works well, and angle stays the same every stroke. I should have bought it in Vancouver, because they are more money down here, and don't come with the butcher steel, but I found one at Swain's in Port Angeles for like $12.99

I've also got a couple of those plastic pocket sharpeners that have two different coarsnesses of ceramic in V-shapes in them (buy the silver ones that have two V's, the red ones only have one) These are a great compliment to the other sharpener and work great on touching up already-sharp blades. I keep one on my boat, since it doesn't rust from the salt water.

-N.

#113015 - 05/04/01 10:01 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
greg Offline
Smolt

Loc: fort lewis, wa 98433
I use a Lansky sharpener...it clamps to the back of the blade and makes the stones hone at the same angle on both sides. Very good for setting the angle of the edge, especially if the blade is really dull. Then I finish up with a hard Arkansas oilstone, then a leather strap and jewelers' rouge for a really razor sharp edge. I like my knives so sharp you can get cut just lookin' at 'em.
Greg

#113016 - 05/06/01 12:22 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Well thanks for all the info guys. Dogsalmon send me your knifes. I will return 1/2 sharp. Have any of you guys tryed the new knifes with ceramic blades. I hear they hold a edge real long. Don't know how you would sharpen one???

#113017 - 05/06/01 06:23 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have a boker ceramic, it was kinda spendy but is still sharp after 2 years and alot of fish and one 2 point.

#113018 - 05/06/01 07:08 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
For over 30 years now, I have heard about every way in the world to sharpen knifes! Lots them work well. But when I read this BB, I understand what most of you don't understand.

Most knifes DO-NOT need to be re-sharpened every time they feel dull! The problem lies at the "cutting edged" Knifes stay sharp for much longer then you think. The problem is that most people do not understand what a "steel" really is, or what it does. Steel's are a tool that is use religiously used by most all butchers. A "Steel" does not sharpen a knife, but it does "straighten" out the cutting edge. This is key to keeping your knife razor sharp! A "steel" will only keep the 'cutting edge" on your Knife. Use your steel just like you use a ceramic. I personally like to run my knife on the steel first, then run it a couple of times on my "ceramic" and then run it one or 2 times more times on each side of my steel. You will find that your knifes will last you at least 5 times longer than you were using you wet stones. Remember this, your wet stones will put the cutting edge onto your knife. But remember this even more…the steel will always bring back your cutting edge, long before you need to use your wet stone again!

Cowlitzfisherman,

It the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#113019 - 05/06/01 11:43 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
My father makes knives and I like the demascus(sp) for meat..It has kind of a suraded edge and seams to cut meat better and stay sharp longer.As far as shapening them I use a stone to get them as sharp as I possibly can by hand then I use a buffing stone and compound on my grinder to finish them off...TM laugh

#113020 - 05/10/01 12:19 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
sam'n'bob Offline
Fry

Loc: yakima,wa.usa
Cowlitzfisherman hit it on the head. sounded like a ex-meat cutter,,, if you have access to high pressure sodium bulbs,, inside is a cermic element about five inches long.. great little item for straighten the edge.
bear in mind as you steel the knife its lifting the rolled edge back up. with time the edge will break off thats when the stone will come back in to play... after steeling the blade lightly drag it over your finger nail. a straight edge will drag or pull a broken or dull will glide easly.

#113021 - 05/11/01 06:48 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey crayfin!

Bought an oval diamond sharpening steel today and tried it out on my rather dull pocket knife in my desk. Amazing!! Thanks for the tip.

#113022 - 05/11/01 09:50 PM Re: How do you sharpen your knife???
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
Right on Fella!! wink I think they're great!! May it provide years of service!!

Crayfin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
easym, easymsince1980, JohnnyCoho
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 224 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645439 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |