LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115950 - 06/24/01 03:08 AM lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was wondering has anybody fished for sockeye from a float tube, I think i will try it this year i mean i have a trolling motor..

#115951 - 06/24/01 07:06 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
I would advise painting or dyeing your tube and your clothing Chartreuse or Fl. Orange, you might also want to wear a helmet with a high powered strobe light. Bringing a Megaphone might be a good idea as well.

#115952 - 06/24/01 07:22 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Skagiteer, you worry me my friend. I hope that you don't have other suicidal thoughts like float tubing amongst the pack in Lake WA.

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#115953 - 06/24/01 08:44 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Does anyone float tube lake washington at any time of year?

#115954 - 06/24/01 11:33 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
rodbuster Offline
Parr

Loc: lake stevens
You're probably a nice kid skagiteer so my suggestion is to completely erase the idea from your head. There are tons of fisheries in the area that are float tube friendly. If you were from Oregon I would tell you to go for it. :p

#115955 - 06/25/01 12:12 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i just wanted to see what people would say

#115956 - 06/25/01 01:18 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
So how about the Cowlitz in a canoe?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#115957 - 06/26/01 06:45 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Definitely seen that done.

#115958 - 06/26/01 07:16 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I've seen just about everything else out there for the socks', why not a float tube too!!!!! laugh eek wink Besides it'll troll just about the right speed!!! :p
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

#115959 - 06/26/01 07:21 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Okay, you've seen it done. Is it safe at the current low water levels? Most of the spots I have seen "look" pretty benign, but are we looking at a leisurely float with a few spots that need attention, or a leisurely float with a few moments of terror? I try to avoid terror if possible! Life jacket on, float plan,too. 25 years as a canoist. Remember, terror is not good! eek eek eek

I have done some spots on the Skagit, hunted ducks on the Black River, and paddled down the Deschutes in Thurston County in addition to a lot of hunting in small inlets with lots of current in the sound.

Terror = not good.

Andy

Andy

#115960 - 06/26/01 07:53 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
How about "Float Tube Fridays"? Every Friday from Fourth of July until Labor Day, Lake Washington would be open for float tube sockeye fishing only. You could launch at the northern tip of Seward Park early in the AM. and expect to wash ashore along the Boeing or Coulon Park shoreline after dark. It's possible winds, currents, or fighting sockeye salmon might alter your itinerary. That shouldn't be a problem, since you're bound to end up against the I-90 bridge, on Bill Gates' property, or right back where you started laugh

#115961 - 06/26/01 08:25 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
CATCH AND EAT Offline
Smolt

Loc: portland
Float tube?!!! ha hah ha hah ha!!!!!!! Hey don't forget your electric trolling motor! ha hah ha ha ha!!!!!! he he ehh ehh ........

#115962 - 06/27/01 12:19 AM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Some people just have to troll laugh laugh laugh

#115963 - 06/27/01 12:42 AM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
Any M, No problem on the whole "Cowlitz in a canoe" idea. The stretch from Barrier Dam to Mission Bar is a piece of cake.... Helen Keller could float the Cowlitz. The only item of concern is that on the Cowlitz you've got lots and lots of sleds. Normally this wouldn't be a real problem, except that you also have lots and lots of idiots on the Cowlitz....And a lot of those idiots own sleds! eek Idiots in and of themselves are no big deal (I'm surrounded by them) but give an idiot about 200 hose power to play with and some poor sonofa***** in a Coleman canoe doesn't stand a chance eek

#115964 - 06/27/01 11:42 AM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I was thinking some thing like that might be a concern. I'll just bank it there. A

#115965 - 06/27/01 02:04 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Some years back, a friend and I were fishing at the Barrier Dam on a typical December Day. We had rowed the drift boat over to the island are were futiley trying to catch a King. It rained about 3" during the day. Above us there were a couple of goofballs in one of those little seyvlor kayaks. Eventually they loaded there gear up and headed across the Rising Cowlitz. About half way they ran out of "gas" and began to drift past the launch. They made it through the first tree against the clay bank, but it put them sideways and the next tree rolled them. One guy popped up and clung to the bank. We did not see the other. We started hollering and a sled came out from behind the island and caught up with the "kayak" . The second man had been held down by his gear, but had freed himself and was clinging to the "kayak". They pulled him in, and as they headed back to pick the other guy off the bank, the "kayak" was flying like a kite behind the sled.

Use the right tool for the Job!

GutZ

#115966 - 06/27/01 02:26 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Gutz,

That sounds just like the terror that I am trying to avoid! There is a big difference in handling between a rubber kayak and my little 15' aluminum canoe, but thanks for the story. A

#115967 - 06/27/01 04:36 PM Re: lake washington sockeye from a float tube?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Although this thread began with a question about float tubes, it expanded to include canoes. I thought I would mention that I find a canoe to be the single most versatile watercraft I have ever used. Canoes definitely aren't the best boat for every application, but they can be safely and successfully used for more applications than any other craft that I am aware of. Rivers, lakes, bays, oceans, sloughs, ponds, flooded fields - only a few places they can't safely go.

I use my sled on the Cowlitz generally (no car shuttle hassle), but I've also used my canoe and inflatable raft. I fish just as well with any of them, but the Cowlitz is large enough that a motor boat makes getting around more convenient. I rate the Cowlitz easily as canoeable as the Skagit, and moreso than the Sauk and (upper) Skykomish, for instance.

As for float tubing Lake Washington, the problem isn't the float tube. It's the nitwits in powerboats who don't pay attention to where they're going. Otherwise, it would probably be kinda' cool. Almost like swimming in the ocean near the whales in Maui, but not as safe.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 563 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |