LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118765 - 08/08/01 01:10 AM Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are many good sportfishing advocacy groups in the Northwest; such as the Assoc. of NW Steelheaders, Northwest Sportfishing Industry Assoc. (NSIA), and Wild Steelhead Coalition (WSA). These entities carry varying degrees of political clout, and are doing a lot of good things for our sportfishing causes. We would be in worse shape concerning fishing rights without them! There is more help on the way. The nationally based Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) has started a Washington state based chapter to help in our fight for fairer fishing rights for sportfishers. They work a little differently than these other organiztions. We definitely are going to need all the help we can get. I suggest you have a closer look for yourselves and decide how you might be able to help these causes. Their URL is www.gamefishin.com/members/rfa/ . I have only had time to skim thru the basics and it looks like a good organization too; that likely will have stronger political influence for us. Check it out. Thanks. -

Steve Hanson

#118766 - 08/08/01 02:22 PM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Ratherbfishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Thanks for the info RT, This looks like a viable politically active group. Their current issues list includes the following:

The Cowlitz River Hydro Electric Project Re-Licensing.
The Sustainable Fisheries Act.
Pelagic Longlining.
Mitchell Act funding.
Neah Bay Halibut.

Looks like they are concentrating on fishting commercial fishing practices, WDFW mismanagement, and other important issues.

In looking over the site I did not see anything on Tribal fishing. I wonder if that is going to be too sensitive of an issue for them?

-rbf

#118767 - 08/08/01 03:15 PM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Federal Way
No, tribal fishing is not too sensitive of an issue for us to take on. It really does not matter who it is, if something is happening that is not in the best interests of recreational anglers, then its an issue for us.

In reality, the tribes are just commercial fisherman with guarenteed quotas. There is nothing about how they fish that can not be changed if the right political pressure is applied at the federal level. On the flip side, there are going to be some cases where we agree with a tribal idea and will be butting heads with the government over it.

Also, that list of issues is just a sampling of things that we are dealing with. They are just a little more defined than some of the other issues. And of course, there are things that can be talked about in conversation that I am not going to put up for the world to read.

#118768 - 08/08/01 04:38 PM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Mike;
Ratherbfishin says that your group is working on "The Cowlitz River Hydro Electric Project Re-Licensing." I have never seen anyone representing your organization before at any of the relicensing meetings over the past 5 years, so I am curious, what is your organization going to do about this issue? It's great to see others organizations come on board. Better late, then never!!

This is the best place on the net to discuss the Cowlitz, so lets here what your group is going to do concerning the relicensing process on the Cowlitz River. I was on your web site today and couldn't find anything about what you guys are planning up do concerning the Cowlitz relicensing process. So please tell us, what's happening?

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????
confused rolleyes

#118769 - 08/08/01 05:57 PM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I wont use names cowlitzfisherman but I am aware that you are familiar enough with the situation to know who I am talking about (not that there is anything to hide, but I do not have permission). In June when we had our first open to the public meeting, a representative from Friends of the Cowlitz approached us about the federal re-licencing project. FOC has been working with us since that point. It has taken some time for the main RFA office to get more up to speed as there is a whole lot of information to learn. I just got of the phone with FOC to give him the latest update. RFA has securred a conressional hearing through a congressman we work with who is a member of the fisheries subcommittee. It is now up to FOC and his people to determine if they want to take advantage of this (I believe they will). If they do, we will be flying someone out there to testify before the congressmen. I would guess there would be representatives from Ferc and NMFS to testify and possibly others. What would come out of this is unknown now, but at the minimum it would bring some exposure to the issue.

#118770 - 08/08/01 06:06 PM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Thanks Mike,

I will talk to the folks at FOC and get up dated. If you need any help concerning this issue, feel free to contact me at cpr-fish@toledotel.com Glad to see you folks come on board! No question, there is power in the many!

Cowlitzfisherman

laugh laugh

#118771 - 08/12/01 08:47 PM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Anonymous
Unregistered

what do the rfa members think of the nsia ??

#118772 - 08/13/01 12:38 AM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Ratherbfishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Okay, thanks Mike for your reply. I do see your point that the Tribes are another form of commercial fishing. And I I certainly agree that political pressure at the right places is the way to bring about change.
After reading the aticle in the last Salmon Steelheader Trout mag, if the stats can be believed, and I believe they can, then the Tribes take of fish is a huge issue (yes loyal raders, I know this is not a new issue!).

Any way, I am going back to the RFA site to give some serius consideration.
-rbf

#118773 - 08/13/01 04:14 PM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
I've been a member of the RFA for a while and I invited Mike a very long time to post as often as he can, over at ifish.net and here.

I'm glad that he's posting because he's a nice guy, who's full of information. If he can't answer you to begin with, he'll find out and get back to you, no problem.

I am a representative of FOC so any questions, feel free to ask.
-Mike

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#118774 - 08/13/01 05:55 PM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've checked some more into the RFA and found it to be a good entity for our causes. I just joined via the above website URL. I hope you all will give this consideration too. We need all the help we can to overcome unfairnesses to sportfishers! And they make it much easoer to mial our reps - essentially doing the work for us and all we need to do is sign our signatures and mail it off. And likely be there to sign future initiative petitions. Thanks. - RT

#118775 - 08/14/01 10:01 AM Re: Recreational Fishing Alliance - time to check this one out
Mike Gilchrist Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Dogsalmon,

We met with NSIA for the first time in July. We will be able to work together and compliment each other well. Sportfishers and the industry agree with each other MOST of the time. I know that the RFA main office has been working with NSIA some since that meeting (Salmon planning act, Mitchell Act Funding, etc).

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Sidedrifter, 1 invisible), 1424 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |