LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119310 - 08/17/01 12:33 AM Best launch in Port Angeles?
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Can anyone reccommend the best boat launch around Seqium or Port Angeles?

#119311 - 08/17/01 02:32 AM Re: Best launch in Port Angeles?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Well, that depends on where you want to go.

The John Wayne Marina in Sequim is probably one of the best facilities in the whole state, I love that one. (it's being only six minutes from my driveway doesn't hurt, either)

If you want to launch in PA, try either the launch out on Ediz Hook (drive right through PA, then past the paper mill and out onto the hook to get there) or the one right near the log sorting yard to the east of the base of the hook, across from the Marine store. Either one will work, less boat driving time if you launch our on the hook.

Went to the North Olympic Peninsula PSA meeting tonight, guys had reports of plenty of pinks and some coho out off Sequim and PA, and kings out on Heine Bank.

Good luck.

-N.

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: StorminN ]

#119312 - 08/17/01 01:40 PM Re: Best launch in Port Angeles?
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
We've always launched at the one on Ediz Hook just before the Coast Guard station. It's free. I think the one by the log dump and Hegg and Hegg costs money to launch. Just drive all the way through Port Angeles onto Ediz Hook. You'll see it just before the Coast Guard station on your right. Just remember to give us a full report after you get back laugh.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#119313 - 08/18/01 03:06 PM Re: Best launch in Port Angeles?
Texas Fling Offline
Parr

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa. U.S.
Ditto To Stormin's post. John Wayne is the best pay launch From Sequim. P.A's Edis hook is free be careful on the low tide launch though. Trailer axles do drop. eek

#119314 - 08/18/01 03:34 PM Re: Best launch in Port Angeles?
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Is that drive-thru fresh water rinse still by the paper mill on Ediz Hook? I always enjoyed the free rinse-off, but I haven't launched there for a while. Freshwater Bay has a good ramp if you are going that far west cool

#119315 - 08/18/01 06:31 PM Re: Best launch in Port Angeles?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

John Wayne Marina has a free fresh water rinse, also.

-N.

#119316 - 08/18/01 10:08 PM Re: Best launch in Port Angeles?
Texas Fling Offline
Parr

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa. U.S.
They had the rinse at the mill taken out a few years ago. I really liked it also.Just drive up & it did the work.

#119317 - 08/22/01 12:17 AM Re: Best launch in Port Angeles?
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Thanks for the info folks. Launched at Ediz Hook Sat. With family obligations didn't get to fish too long (put in at about 12:30), my boys (4 and 5 yrs. old)got a Humpy about 6 lbs., wife caught a small king about 12 lbs, before the kids started feeling sick. After dropping them off at the camper , I went back out for another 2.5 hrs and caught two shakers, one wild silver and two more humps, lost another silver at the boat. Not red hot , but ok for about four hrs fishing.
Also put in at John Wayne Sunday, fished inside Dung spit for about 1.5 hrs. with nothing. There was so much bait around it was unreal, solid bait in the top 20 ft. of the water column everywhere.
Used barbless Vision Hooks, they are awesome hooks. If you haven't tried them - you should.

#119318 - 08/22/01 12:34 AM Re: Best launch in Port Angeles?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Huntar,

Yeah, I launched from John Wayne on Sunday afternoon, too. On the way out, passed by a few bait balls that we probably should have fished. The rip coming around the spit was pretty rough going, probably should have fished that, too, but didn't know exactly where it was legal to be fishing, as I haven't been out there much yet.

FYI, for future reference, I think the area inside the spit is closed right now, west and south of a line from the lighthouse, east to the #2 red buoy outside the spit, then south to the Port Williams boat dock.

We Fished outside the spit, to the west of the red buoy, there was some bait around, but no fish. Then we tried over on the west side of Protection Island, near the green buoy there. There was a little more bait, but no fish action.

I was kicking myself for neglecting those initial good signs, after we got back with no fish... first time in a while.

Isn't it frustrating to see so much bait, but catch no fish? What's up with that?

-N.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bob, Mike Abbott
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 474 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645459 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |