LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126758 - 11/15/01 07:06 PM Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Padre Offline
Parr

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA USA
I just ordered a 1264 TH rod 10'6" and was thinking. IS this going to be to big to drift with, maybe I should find something in the middle to do both or the extra foot won't make a difference. So here's my Q. I mostly bank fish which means to carry more than one rod is sometimes a problem. But I enjoy jig and driftin, not to mention throwin hardware, so what should I do. Stay with the new rod I ordered or get something different? What are your expert angler thoughts?

Much Thanks... Steve Novotny

#126759 - 11/15/01 07:24 PM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'd pack two rod's.One for each.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#126760 - 11/15/01 11:14 PM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
JimSa Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue, WA, USA
Going with one rod you'll be making a sacrifice. Your options are
1.) Take two rods
2.) Take a shorter drift rod, knowing you'll be dragging line in water when you fish floats/jigs.
3.) Take the longer rod and suffer the difficulties of tight spaces, overhanging limbs, etc.
4.) Shoot the gap and something mediocre for both.

Bottom line: Get the right rod for the job. Don't sacrifice. Break one of the rods down if need be and put it in sling across your back for hiking in.

-Jim

#126761 - 11/16/01 12:00 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
mt. mike Offline
Parr

Loc: florence mt
Padre,I kinda hate to call this advise because I don't exactly think of myself as an expert but I've been fishing a couple of Lamiglass rods for both bobber and drift fishing. Both are medium heavy 8-6 and have served me well for the past 10 years. Hell I even pull plugs with them. It might be a case of not knowing any better but ya can't have everything. I have 2 because I like to drift fish with a casting reel and bobber with a spinning reel.

#126762 - 11/16/01 12:09 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Steve, going with 2 rods is the way to go. No time is lost during transitions. It is easy to find a rod for a given purpose but difficult to find one that will suite all needs.

FJ..out.

#126763 - 11/16/01 12:14 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
Padre-
you could go with a 9'6" rod and still have some benifits of both things as I figured out this silver season while ussing my 9'6" rod.as I drift fished and float fished with no problem.

a 9'6" keeps some amount of line off the water which is the most important thing for float fishing and also is stiff enough for drift fishing, however if you no that you are going to just float fish I would get a 10'6" rod.

Just some advce from a 17 year old.

FISH ON!!!
smile
laugh
:p

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: catcher1 ]

#126764 - 11/16/01 12:30 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I fish a lot and only use one length rod a 9' 8 to 12#. It serves me well for both floats and drifting, as I do both on most outings. When im bank fishing it would be a pain in the ass to bring two rods and would probally end up breaking one. Havent had any problems fishing floats with the 9', even on the bigger rivers like the Hoh. Cant say the shorter rod has hindered my float fishing either. Long rods just have no place in the boat. Other people have brought them along and they are always in the way.

#126765 - 11/16/01 05:16 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Padre,

I recently bought a custom TH1164 spinning rod that's 9'6" and line rated 8 to 17 lb. I love this rod Travis built. I got it for a multi-purpose rod for the overlap transition from chinooks to steelhead; mostly in the Tillamook area with it's later arriving 'nooks. I use 15 lb. UG or Izor Pl. on it, and fish well on both spieces with this rig up. It not only does great for float fishing, it is also a very good drift fishing rod. I think you have the same 8 to 17 lb. line rating but the extra foot of length. I prefer the 9.5' over the 10.5' foot but I'm taller than average. If you go with the 10.5' for any drift fishing be sure to get balancing rodbutt caps; which make it less tiring on your wrist but also more sensative to bites.

Also look into the newer Thill 'Steelheader' floats. They have a rubber sleeve and notch clip on feature that allows you to fish it as a fixed float and simply unclip it to driftfish with. If it gets really snaggy for drifting eggs you can just quickly clip this float on. Best clip on version I know of - yet anyway.

RT

#126766 - 11/16/01 10:26 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
I don't know this from experience, but I've heard that with a really long rod you lose sensitivity. So if you are drift fishing with a 10'6" rod you might not be able to feel the bottom as well. I'm going to buy a float rod in the next month or so. After I do I'm going to pack 2 rods with me. Sometimes I might want to throw a float with bait or something and then I might want to throw a spinner and having 2 rods is the answer I think. Even if you have to drag them around. You spend more time with your line in the water.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#126767 - 11/16/01 11:19 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Todd B. Offline
Fry

Loc: sequim,wa
Padre,

It all depends on the rivers you are fishing. I bank fish a lot of smaller rivers so I can get away with using an 8'6" spinning rod when bushwacking. It is plenty long enough to keep line off the water when float fishing smaller rivers and easier to climb through the bushes with just one rod.

If you are fishing larger rivers pack two rods. Most of the time larger rivers are easier to get around on and it shouldn't be a problem carrying around two or three rods.

#126768 - 11/16/01 11:50 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I almost always back 2 rods.
But If you wanted one for both,I go with an 1143#

But in my opinion,you just can't cast a small float and jig with a bait caster as well as a spinning reel.......Os

#126769 - 11/16/01 12:45 PM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
I just talked Stev into the TH 1143s. I think he will be much happier.
I have landed some pig Chinook on a TH 1143s.. no problem and w/ 20# power pro you are set!

TH

www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#126770 - 11/17/01 02:25 PM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
wish4fish Offline
Fry

Loc: bellingham, wa, whatcom
Hey catcher1, how long have you been 17? They say
time flies when you get old, But you are really
making me feel real old. Wasn't it just last month
that you turned 16? confused

#126771 - 11/17/01 02:27 PM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
wish4fish Offline
Fry

Loc: bellingham, wa, whatcom
Hey catcher1, how long have you been 17? They say
time flies when you get old, But you are really
making me feel real old. Wasn't it just last month
that you turned 16? confused

#126772 - 11/17/01 02:46 PM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
wish4fish, you need to come look at the birth cirtificate!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats up with you today are you beeing hte house biatch?

We should hit the river tomarrow.

Talk to yah latter,
TrAvIs

#126773 - 11/17/01 08:42 PM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I'd also highly agree to bring two rods. But, if you really want one rod for the job get a 9'6" rod. Just about right for drifting and jiggiing. Don't liisten to Os, he's getting to damned old to be using a baitcaster anymore. laugh I'd say unless you're an expert throwing a baitcaster to definitely go with the spinning rod. I'l give you this advice too. I broke my beloved Kunnan baitcaster a few years ago. Wanted to replace it with a baaitcaster similar to it. Bought a Lami Ppro Graphite X96JCT. It's a wonderful driftrod. Guess what else it is????? Come to find out it's built for jigs. I have longer rods for my jigs but tried it out andworked realy good on the water.

Good luuck

Northwest River Fisherman

#126774 - 11/17/01 09:10 PM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
Padre Offline
Parr

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA USA
THanks everyone for the input. AFter all the threads the winner is a 9'6" 1143 built by TH. I'm excited it will do the trick. Can't wait to bust some metal with it.

Steve Novotny

#126775 - 11/18/01 02:59 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Hello, Steve, when you get your new rod, stop on by, I would like to take a look at TH's work. Maybe I will even order a new one....like I need another rod..Huh? Can never have too many rods in my book though, but it always makes it difficult on which ones to leave home. wink
Going to take the boat to the Cowlitz again, but you won't find me at the barrier dam....saw a half dozen steelies caught last Sunday, along with all the silvers. Feels like it will be a little chillier this weekend though....Talk to you later and good luck with the new rod.

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#126776 - 11/19/01 10:59 AM Re: Combination Jig & Drift Rod... Possible?
ROEBOAT Offline
Fry

Loc: kent
Lamiglass XJS 9-6 Jig spinning 9'6" rated 6-15 or so...Absolutely excellent all around rod smile

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1160 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |