LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126997 - 11/17/01 09:15 PM Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
Hi guys, I am wanting to make my own marabou jigs for this winter steelhead season. I am wondering if you could help me in the process by telling me what equipment that I will need to make them, and where to buy the stuff at.

and any tips on making them

Also if anyone could tell me where to purchase Johns jigs that would be great.

Thanks
cool

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: catcher1 ]

#126998 - 11/17/01 10:09 PM Re: Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
Fuzzybutt Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar, W.A
First you will need a good quality vice, which you can find online at Cabelas you will also need the following:
hackle pliers
bodkin
scissors
thread bobbin
whip finisher
quality jigheads with a good strong hooks (We'd recommend contacting Mike at Rainbow Jigs

For the materials, you could try any good fly fishing shop (I'm unsure what shops are available in Bellingham, so check your local phone book)
We use Danville's flat waxed nylon thread, which has some great colours for steelhead,
and also a good head cement to put a tidy finish to your jig. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. Good luck smile

Lynn
Silent Approach Jigs

#126999 - 11/17/01 10:58 PM Re: Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
At the December meeting for the Renton chapter of Puget Sound Anglers, we're having a guest speaker who is going to be talking about jig fishing techniques as well as how to make them. He also makes his own custom floats and he may be showing how to make them as well.

If you're interested, the meeting is Wednesday, December 12, at the Kennydale Memorial Center in Renton. Starts at 7:30.

#127000 - 11/17/01 11:32 PM Re: Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
Rainbow makes great jig heads off of Gammy hooks and their painted heads are done very nicely. First Cast Jigs makes some awsome nickle and brass heads on Ownerhooks...they are deadly! I've been using both these for tying up my salmon and steelie jigs with great success. The First Cast Jig heads are a bit larger and the hooks are beefier. Can't go wrong either way. I've been getting my x-cut rabbit strips from the Fly Shoppe in Welches, OR. No tax and no shipping on whole skins for like $9.

#127001 - 11/21/01 01:36 AM Re: Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
I have a question. On average, how long does it take you folks to make one jig? Just curious. If I really get into this jig fishing, I might try making some of my own. Thanks.

#127002 - 11/21/01 02:09 AM Re: Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Hey Catcher1, wassup? BK is a true master at making jigs. Get a hold of him and hopefully he will share his secrets with ya wink He may be reluctant to share his jig patterns at first, but if you get on his case he is sure to share some of the better ones.

Peace

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#127003 - 11/21/01 04:01 PM Re: Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
Fuzzybutt,
I like some of the patterns and colors you have on the Silent Approach Jigs. What are the favorites of your customers? Which colors and patterns are your customers catching the most fish on?

#127004 - 11/21/01 04:08 PM Re: Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Catcher,
Why make your own when a place like Silent Approach sells awesome jigs for a really decent price. Check them out, you may just change your mind about malking them.. wink

#127005 - 11/22/01 09:39 AM Re: Making Jigs and Johns Jigs????
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

Greg's custom Rods in Lake Stevens sells Johns Jigs. Just in last night picking up a few. Has a nice selection and just about everything else you can think of. He also has the best prices anywhere!

While I was in there last night ran into Doug with LoneWolf Guide services, great guy.

Doug if you read this; name a time and place so we can get out and get some fish....I'll bring the barley soda's. cool

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |