Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129513 - 12/06/01 02:55 AM Oregon tackle shops
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Hey you oregon guys, let me know of your favorite tackle shops down there and why.
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#129514 - 12/06/01 03:28 AM Re: Oregon tackle shops
AllThumz Offline
Fry

Loc: Albany, Oregon
Fisherman's Shack, Hwy. 99W and Airlie Rd. south of Monmouth. I don't know how Don can fit so much gear in a shop the size of a large closet smile

John smile

#129515 - 12/06/01 04:03 AM Re: Oregon tackle shops
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joe,

In the Portland Metro area the best among large stores are the 2 Fisherman's Marine Supply (N. Port. and Oregon City ... 503-557-3313). It's because they have the best fishing tackle inventories on hand and knowledgable sales people. The only other large stores with a big tackle dept. is the GI Joes chain (503-644-9932). They have less inventory, often leaving a fisher without one or two items needed. And their sales people in those dept.'s generally aren't real knowledgable fishermen. Third among large stores would be a combination of the 'one stop shopping' type chain stores such as Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart, Target, etc. Of those, Fredies is most fishing tackle complete, and often a good secondary place to look for what Joe's is out of.

Among Metro small tackle shops I think the best is Great American Tackle near Oregon City (503-250-2662), just off lower Hwy. 224, which takes you up to the north side of the Clackamas R. in places. Good fishing tackle inventory for a small shop. The owner Gary Waterhouse is a very good salmon, steelhead, and trout fisherman and is honest with his fishing reports over the phone (one of the most important aspects of tackle shops to me, and many others I would think).

There are a myriad of small shops with both grocery store goods and some fishing tackle all over the state around popularly fished rivers and lakes - such as the Carver Store on the mid Clackamas.

In and near the heavily fished coastal town of Tillamook the 2 larger stores are Kimmel's Sporting Goods (503-842-4281) and the relatively new Tillamook Sporting Goods. Kimmel's has always had the best inventory and knowledgable sales people. And they give fairly accurate honest reports. That new Till. Sptg. Gds. is big but by all accounts of many anglers they are poorly managed and not a good place to shop for fishing gear. They could use a better inventory of rods for a large store, and they have pushy sales people with limited fishing knowledge. The couple times I was in there, when they didn't have what I wanted, these limited people told me what I needed instead rolleyes . Unless they price war out the other shops big time, I don't see how they will last.

Of the small shops there is Tillamook Bait Shop (503-842-5031) right on the lower Wilson River loop road - south side. They have great bait, nice people, but limited tackle items. The Guide Shop (503-842-3474) up the road on the Wilson River a few miles by Mills Bridge has quite a good tackle inventory for a smaller shop - including a lot of rods; making it a good prospect for your goods Joe. An upside is the excellant resturant there. The downside is inaccurate phone reports about the fishing; often hyping the prospects when they do give one out (for as many years as I can remember). They also keep sandshrimp past good shape for sale before they will dump and re-order. The other small shops up the Wilson R. Road, one below Kansas Cr. area and the other at Lee;s camp near the bridge, keep their shrimp fresher but have small tackle inventories.

The Astoria/Seaside area used to have Link's Tackle stores in both towns. There has not been a good replacement in years. Taking up that slack is such as hardware stores and Fredies. If ever there was a good place to open a fishing tackle and bait shop it would be in Seaside Oregon. Most of the Metro anglers heading to fish out of Astoria to Hammond go thru Seaside on the way. And they come down to fish the Necanicum and Nehalem river systems bay thru there also. Someone please open a good shop there! Diversify it with a variety of goods for a potential little golden egg there. Just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Nestucca Sporting Goods in Hebo (503-392-4269) on the lower Nestucca River is like the Guide Shop in that they have quite a good inventory for a small shop. But Ron tells it like it is when you call for fishing reports (which makes me and my friends try to buy things we need while we are there; in return for his honesty). The sporting goods store in Pacific City (503-965-6410) has a decent inventory, but like many who fish the lower Nestucca river and estuary there they don't have the best 'tude from what I've seen.

'Willie Rower' Paul's wife owns the Kalama River Bait & Tackle shop on the lower river there. He commutes, living near Sweet Home on the S. Santiam River. If he doesn't see this post, e-mail him Joe for a rundown on the better shops in the Willamette Valley from Salem on down.

Up the Columbia Gorge off Hwy. 84 there is Jack's Snack and Tackle (503-665-2257) on the lower Sandy River, with fairly good inventory and accurate reports (Jack guides while his wife runs the shop - good coffee and donuts too smile ). Further up off exit 35 is the shop at the 'Fishery'. Inventory is mediocre and the fishing reports are even less accurate (more a sturgeon spot than s/s). I'm not up on the latest for Hood River or the Dalles. It used to be hardware stores for limited supplies in Hood River, but there was a good sized nice tackle shop on the east end of the Dalles. Likely still there, but I can't remember the name of it.

Steve

#129516 - 12/06/01 04:27 AM Re: Oregon tackle shops
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
RT forgot to mention Fisherman's Corner in Philomath (541) 929-2440. Good location outside of Corvallis on the way towards Newport. Also seems to be open more often than the Fisherman's Shack.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Steelheadman ]

#129517 - 12/06/01 10:22 AM Re: Oregon tackle shops
Snapset Offline
Fry

Loc: Philomath OR
As mentioned, Fishermans Shack is a fantastic little bait shop, they have a good web site, too: www.fishermanshack.com.

Fishermans corner is a pretty good place, he is 2 blocks from my house, but he is not open as often as I would like to see. He is also out of bait as often as not.

On the coast, the best I have seen hands down is Harry's Bait and Tackle, a little old shop with rock solid information, and good prices. They are on the Bayfront in Newport.
Sweet Home-Dandee's is pretty good.
Lebanon-Ricke's is pretty good, good guns too.
Prineville- Prineville Sporting goods
In Alsea, there is a store on the right as you are headed west, I can't remember the name.

Sorry to the good shops I have forgotten, I will repost as my memory unfogs.

#129518 - 12/06/01 10:29 AM Re: Oregon tackle shops
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
I will start south and work north. The Port O Call in Bandon, Lots of stuff in a small shop with friendly help. Bandon bait and tackle, Right next to Port O Call. Both shops are right in Old Town Bandon next to the boat basin. Surplus center in Coos Bay. Fairly decent selection of stuff. There are a couple of places in Reedsport., Lunkers lair is on of them. I havent been there yet. Looks like a decent place. Harry's Bait and Tackle in Newport. Lots of stuff in a small store, Knowledgable people. Its right on the bay front so parking can be a pain in the a$$ when all the tourists are in town. Elk City Store. For a tiny little town this place has quite a bit of stuff, Friendly people and good chill! Fishermans Corner in Philomath He carries Vision products and and Ammermans eggs.
I used to Like Andersons Sporting goods in Corvallis, Now the place sucks! All the knowledgable anglers left and the tackle selection went down hill. Nothing to speak of in Albany. Rickes Sporting goods in Lebanon could be a better source of fishing gear if they wernt such gun fanatics. The new place in Sweet Home, Midway Sports Center has tons of potential. Dan Dee saes is ok, The owner only gets excited about stocking stuff when the South Santiam has fish.
Prinville Sporting Goods in Prineville has a good selection of everything, or at least it did when I was there last.
I know I missed some, I know Roseburg has a couple places. I just cant recall the names.

#129519 - 12/06/01 01:06 PM Re: Oregon tackle shops
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Don't forget Larry's in Sutherlan and Rogue outdoor store in Gold Beach.Jim Carey will treat you right.Jot's way over priced for tackle.Good
luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#129520 - 12/06/01 02:22 PM Re: Oregon tackle shops
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Regarding Gi Joes, while they have a lot of stuff, they are often out of stock in precisely what you need. If you want to find out what to use, go to GI Joes, look for the empty pegs, and then go to Fisherman's Marine and buy it. Fisherman Marine's is a great store, I wish they had one up here.

Last year I needed 8 and 10 lb Ultragreen mono. GI Joes in Issquah was out of stock in this and several other sizes of Maxima, including Chameleon, from Decemeber 15th through FEBRUARY! Talk about missing your market opportunity. Currently they have no, i mean no wigglewarts in the standard size. Though that may have someting to do with the changeover in Storm, I still find plenty of warts at Walmart and the store in Montesano. Or did I just give up a zipperlip?

#129521 - 12/07/01 07:32 AM Re: Oregon tackle shops
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Fishermans is fine but I think their prices are way out of line on a lot of their stuff.Especially for the amount of business they do.
If your ever in Longview go to Bobs Merchandise.They have a great selection and knowledgable staff.This goes for both hunting and fishing supplies.
I can usually get what I need there cheaper than fishermans,even after paying taxes.
Brad Schoenborn is the buyer for the fishing tackle dept.His Dad is Larry.Most of you should know of him.Great guy.Very helpful and knowledgable.

#129522 - 12/07/01 11:50 AM Re: Oregon tackle shops
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
I usualy do all my mail order through the Fly Shoppe in Welches. No tax of course, but also FREE SHIPPING!

#129523 - 12/07/01 09:18 PM Re: Oregon tackle shops
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I wish there was a Bob's up here like the one in Longview. Been there once and loved it.
Everybody says to go to Sportco around here.
Their hours suck!!!!
Very odd hrs for a sporting goods store.
They must be making enough money they don't need to open in the evenings or Sundays.

#129524 - 12/07/01 10:21 PM Re: Oregon tackle shops
Reel Time Offline
Fry

Loc: Estacada, OR USA
1. Great American Tackle: Gary is a great guy and knows the salmon steelhead scene as well as any. His store is truly a specialized tackle store. However don't be fooled into thinking you can buy gear cheaper at a large wharehouse environment. I just purchased a Calcutta 251 for $10 less than GI Joes or Fisherman's. No it wasn't on sale or a special deal. The only drawback is inventory. But chances are if it's for Salmon/Steelhead and it's worth having, he's got it.

2. O.C. Fisherman's Many different employees that will give you many different tactics to try on the water. Lots of inventory. When I first started going there, the sales people were pretty rude. Now thousands of dollars later, they are much nicer. Yes I know they don't work on commission. It's just wierd.

Great American Tackle sells your Vision hooks. They have free samples on display. Funny thing is there was just as many Vision hooks there when I left as when I got there. Oddly enough, weeks later the same amount of samples were there. The theory is proven that YOU CAN'T EVEN GIVE VISION HOOKS AWAY!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 815 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |