Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130372 - 12/13/01 12:38 PM Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Rather then carry those hurkin corkies in my vest that I hardly ever use, if the water gets pretty murky I just put on two corkies. It works well I have caught many steelhead using two corkies, on those murky water winter condition days. Also this allows me to stay with a smaller hook, size one, rather then using a bigger corky that forces the hook size to go up some. I do not like the bigger hooks they tend to make me hang up and break off more. Can anyone see any disadvantages to using a double corkie setup over using the bigger ones?

#130373 - 12/13/01 12:54 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Chubbytyee Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Good topic lead thrower, Iv'e used dual corkies for years with great success. It's all about profile and the silhouette effect. Save the big gear for the nates later in the season.

#130374 - 12/13/01 03:25 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Chubbytyee is right on about the silhouette and profile of the two corkies. I also agree that it is better to use a smaller hook to keep the bite radius on the money.

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#130375 - 12/13/01 04:38 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Not exactly sure what you are refering to by
"It's all about profile and the silhouette effect"

#130376 - 12/13/01 05:06 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Chubbytyee Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Check out Herzog's book on drift fishing!

#130377 - 12/13/01 08:41 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I also use two corkies on dirtier water. I'm not positive but I assume they produce a little sound effect while clacking together also.

#130378 - 12/13/01 08:53 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
I too, would rather have two corkies rather than one outsized one, for all the above reasons, but I always "pin" the top corkie, with a tooth-pick or twig so that they will stay together at all times and in place on the leader. When I tie my leaders, I always use 2 or 3 beads between the hook eye and the corkie/s, so that there is "bite" clearence. Same idea as runnin' a bead-chain under a diving plug. Get lot's more solid hook-ups for sure! cool

#130379 - 12/13/01 09:47 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good post Papa'. I pin the corky with a bit of toothpick, but I don't normally use a couple beads between them and the hookeye. I have done it occasionally fishing for silvers because of their propensity to strike short. But after seeing how well steelies hit bead bodied jigs the last couple years I think your idea is great; with eggs or shrimp or just yarn on the hook it would have a similar profile to the productive BeauMac bead body jigs that work so well; and many of the jig companies are making now also. ... Does anyone remember the old Fenton Fly packages by Worden Tackle? They were 2 samll corkies attached to the hook by short strands of mono. They worked great either as is or with a small egg cluster added.

RT

#130380 - 12/14/01 12:16 AM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
After bait, my all time favorite steelhead lure is a small (1/4 inch) pink perl with a same size or one size smaller flame red corkie. Man, i've caught hundreds on that setup.

#130381 - 12/14/01 12:38 AM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks, RT, the beads really do get you hook away from the corkie and into the "bite" zone, by the time they know somethin's up....it's too late!.

I not only remember the Fenton Flys, I still have some! but not in the right size for steelies, darn! I use them on salmon though, work pretty good too. I only have about 8 packages left so I go easy on'em.

cool

#130382 - 12/14/01 10:38 AM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Does everyone always use two of the same size corkies? Often times I use two small corkies of different size, putting the smaller one on bottom next to the hook eye and the slightly larger one on top. I guess this would take the place of the beads.

#130383 - 12/15/01 12:24 AM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Lead thrower,
Corkies of different sizes work just fine, and I'm sure lot's of guys use that option, I do. But I still use the beads, just what I like, is all. But without beads then your set up would be the next best bet.

By the way, stlhead, when your corkies a clackin' together....it's time to get out of the water and go warm up!
laugh

#130384 - 12/15/01 12:48 AM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
RockLizard Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lakewood, WA
I almost always use the 2 corky set up, and the 2 diff size set up with the smaller of the two near the hook. Another good way to "pin" the corky to the hook is too run some yarn through both corkies with a small piece of mono. This tip was in an issue of STS about a year ago. Works great.
Tight Lines
RL

They can have my eggs when they pry em from cold dead hands

#130385 - 12/15/01 11:08 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Snapset Offline
Fry

Loc: Philomath OR
This is the kind of thread I love. I don't normally run 2 corkies. In fact, about 95 % of the time I am fishing with just a lonely # 14 corkie and a bare hook, this rig outfishes roe for me on Steelhead. This afternoon I went out with my wife to try to sneak some fishing in between storms. Had a fine day, hooked 4, landed 2. As it was getting dark, and with the water being colored and high and all, I decided to put on one of the glow in the dark duplex #14. I had been having such great luck with my # 10 pink glitter I left it on too. So I had a #14 on top, #10 on the bottom, and A tuft of pink yarn with a Chartreuse stripe down the middle. Fist cast, a nice bright fish grabbed it and hauled a$$ where I could not follow. However,with some light coaxing and a lot of side to side rod waggling he came to the deft net of my wife.

The point: I am now going to use the double corkie a lot more often.

#130386 - 12/15/01 11:29 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice topic. I almost always use two small corkies instead of a single larger one. My little secret is to use one glow and one nonglow.
I combine pearl pink w/pinkglow, peach glow w/orange, old style white glow w/pearl pink dot, etc. Bit of white yarnin between to hold scent.
BTW I'm still fishing about 50% old style cork corkies....the new foam ones offer a lot more color options but I don't like the way they float higher than the corks.

Gooose laugh

#130387 - 12/16/01 12:17 AM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I use the beads alot too. Sometime just 2 beads, I think the amber beads look like single eggs in the water. I have found them pretty effective with a #4 hook.

#130388 - 12/16/01 09:30 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Seriously, RANDY? I seen that picture of the guy from California with the 47 pound chinook (in the new STS) that he claimed he caught on a single bead. I thought that was pretty weird. Figured maybe he had snagged it? Bead must have to be awfully big, though for them to actually hit it, right?

#130389 - 12/16/01 09:54 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i've never used double but it sounds like a good idea guys. if your using light line and pin a corkie wouldnt it kink the line and therefor make you alot more suseptable to breaking off fish? confused
tyler

#130390 - 12/16/01 11:01 PM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
ROEBOAT Offline
Fry

Loc: kent
Doubles have always worked great for me also. Double oranges (no yarn or scent)are great for sunny days very often. Gotta love Fishbaits colors also. Always a perennial favorite as is the pink/small red metallic

#130391 - 12/17/01 12:27 AM Re: Big Ones Vs. Little Ones
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
what about color (I know thats a subject in its self but how about some favorites).mine is chartruse with black dots or black and chartruse or hot red with metal flake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Carcassman), 1459 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |