LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130611 - 12/15/01 05:51 PM Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Fishnbuddee Offline
Fry

Loc: North Bend, WA
Are any of you familiar with the Chehalis/Skookumchuck/newaukum river fishing?

I used to live on the newaukum river near Onalaska when I was in highschool (late 80s) and used to be able to catch SRCs at will. Occasionally I would hook into a king that would kick my butt - although I did land a 20lber on my trout rod with 6lb line smile

Anyway - I've been thinking of going back one of these days to find some of those salmon. I was noticing in the regs that there seems to be a run of something (salmon) between Dec and Feb. Anyone familiar with this?

I remember a few holes that would always have salmon stacked up in them (spring I think - maybe fall too) but never looked during the winter.

thanks for the info,
Chad

#130612 - 12/15/01 10:40 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I've fished them all. My main problem is that none of them are particularly well suited to fly fishing for winter steelhead, and classic drift fishing water is not too common, either. They all have mostly what is best described as a deep, incised, "U" shaped channel, altho not quite so much on the Skook, which has at least a few small gravel bars. Although I've heard of them, I have yet to see a bright steelhead come from the Skook, and I don't venture there at all for salmon. Not sure that it's open to salmon fishing. I fished it quite a lot for cutts as a kid. A classmate of mine hooked a few salmon and a couple steelhead on his trout gear, but never landed any of them. Perhaps I should mention that we didn't know there was such a thing as closed seasons back then.

Like the Skook, the Newalkum is also an important spawning tributary. The rare spring chinook are fairly bright when they show up, but I don't believe they're fair game. Not sure what shape the silvers or steelhead are in when they show up.

My strategy, occasional as it is, has been to work the Chehalis below both tribs to try and intercept a bright fish. Unfortunately, I've only found one really good fly drift. Some of the locals are more familiar with the water, and I've seen them catch a few steelhead while drift fishing, so I know there are fish there when water conditions are favorable. My best fishing has been for silvers below the Satsop in the fall, however.

The Skook has the most public access for bank fishing. The Chehalis is best accessed by and fished from a boat. So if you're in the area, it might be worth a cast or two in any of these streams.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#130613 - 12/16/01 02:57 AM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Fishnbuddee Offline
Fry

Thanks for the info salmo!

I could be found almost everyday wading (usually in tennis shoes and jeans) the newaukum when I lived in Onalaska for a year and a half during highschool. I'd even hit the river before work when I had my summer job with the county parks department. One weekend, I took my pack and headed up stream to explore for the weekend by my self. I found water that I know had not been touched by anyone but me for about 20 years (when some areas were clear cut). To my amazement, I even found a few stray Chinook that far up.

I used to really nail it to the SRCs and found some whopping rainbows (12-18inchers)quite often. Several were Kamloops escapees from our neighbors privite pond. I know what you mean about not knowing much about regulations and closed seasons. Well, now I'm 99% catch and release - and don't use bait 99% of the time either. But I can relate to the 'local' mentality. After all, I learned it from my dad. It feels good to know that my sons will be starting out with C&R and understand how to read the regulations...
Anyway - I'd like to go back and visit sometime (:

#130614 - 12/16/01 06:09 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
Hey, thanks so much for putting up a post regarding a small local river with no Hatchery run to speak of that cant take anymore Fishing pressure than it already gets. mad

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: LittleZoZo ]

#130615 - 12/16/01 06:22 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Fishnbuddee Offline
Fry

Give me a break. That very little river has about zero public access. It is very small and takes a lot of work to find the fish. I worked hard and was rewarded. If someone else wants to try - more power to 'em. Unless you live on it or know somebody - it's really not worth anyone's time. Besides - with the Cow/blue creek just minutes away - why would anyone bother. And in reality - the bigger concern is getting the locals to stop poaching so many of the fish (i've seen them doing it while trout fishing).

In summary - don't get your panties in a knot over nothing - sheesh! (:

#130616 - 12/16/01 10:06 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Sure seems like there's been a lot of posting about small streams lately. Hmmm. rolleyes

#130617 - 12/16/01 10:19 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Fishnbuddee, your mentality twards this subject and your response to Zo reflects your inability to comprehend fishing etiquette for Salmon much less Steelhead. I'm glad guys like you won't be around when I'm trying to "eek" one out any given zipperlip. rolleyes

FJ...get a clue.

#130618 - 12/17/01 02:20 AM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Fishnbuddee Offline
Fry

I know a zipperlip when I see one - and I know when to keep my mouth shut. If Zo wanted to slap my hand or had concerns he could have privately emailed me and we could have discussed it.
As I stated - no one but a local fisherman with a few hard to find favorite holes at the exact right time would consider this river a zipperlip - and then it would be just the specific spots / times. And my fishing morals, ethics and ettiquite are always of the highest calibur (i have and will make mistakes - but I'll alays try to learn from them...).

Thanks,
Chad

#130619 - 12/17/01 03:22 AM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I'm a little confused here. You have a problem with a little public humiliation or hand slap as you call it yet on the contrary you mix no bones about bringing unwanted attention to any location that a random few have labored to learn. It's not a wonder why those random few respond in a hostile manner as your post will be viewed as a slap to the face. Some things are just meant to be unspoken publicly as you pointed out.

FJ...out.

#130620 - 12/17/01 09:09 AM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
So, I'm reading a post on a small river I've never heard of, the few posts talk of SRC and tough fishing etc., etc., etc. Seemed not worth much more thought until the poor unsuspecting poster is accosted by a couple of fish catching zipperlipers . I learn way more by the responses to posts about small rivers than the original posts. How about not reacting.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#130621 - 12/17/01 10:56 AM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
I tried to e-amil you.....Several times. For some reason it wouldn't go through. FYI, the subject of posting the names and locations of small streams on the BB has come up several times in the past. The general consensus was that not only is it extremely discourteous and rude to the locals to post the name/ location of the stream, it also can be detrimental to the over all wellbeing of that stream. Lots of these small streams dont have hatcheries on them, so they're mostly native runs of fish...... Lot's of these small streams cant take the added fishing pressure that a post on the BB could bring. We're not talking about a big river here. Several years ago (about 15) a certain fishing/hunting periodical ran an artical on one of these small streams in the area. They even drew a map showing ALL the public access spots on the river. A week later, that small stream looked like Blue Creek! There were cars everywhere! I swear that half of King County must've been on the river that day.....It was that way for the rest of the year. Do you know what just about everyone I ran into had to say? They said, "I read about this river in fishing and Hunting News. I've never fished it before though..... Where are all the fish?" So that's why I get peeved when people like you start psting the names of small streams on the BB....This is pretty much what I e-mailed you about, except that I called you an idiot in the e-mail. Fishjesus: Right one bro, You've got the right idea as far as I'm concerned, fish on.

#130622 - 12/17/01 12:07 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Why do people have to talk about smaller rivers....I've never fished it rolleyes But I might have to take a drive now.
I can't beleive this .........Why Post
it??????????? frown ......Os

I've been waiting for some newbee to post about this river........Things will only get worse from here on.
What were you thinking?do you realize how many lurkers check this site out,looking for the exact thing you just posted on :p

#130623 - 12/17/01 12:30 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
These small streams do have hatchery fish in them.I have not fished them for a while but the Skook does get a small plant from fish that used to be trapped at the dam.And the New used to be planted by a private party but I dont think it gets a plant any longer.GO FISHING AND QUIT BASHING!!!!

#130624 - 12/17/01 04:37 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
Fishnbuddee Offline
Fry

My thoughts exacty JG.

I didn't intend to pi$$ anyone off - really!

I gave out no directions, no hot spots, no fishing report (just one for over 12 yrs ago). No one would have blinked twice. Now we have a drawn out post and all a lurker should assume now is -wow this must be a great zipperlip!

I just wanted to know about a possible winter run of salmon on the system in general. The chehalis and skook are no secrets - and the New isn't worth anyone't time compared to the big names within easy driving distance. To think that a simple mention of a river with no attidional hype or details is going to ruin a fishery is crazy.

And personal attacks, name calling, threats, whining, ect is only going to have the opposite effect you intended. So please - if you have a beef - don't show your hand to the crowd - take care of it offline.

I'll be more sensitive in the future.

Now let's get fishing while the rain has paused...

#130625 - 12/17/01 06:53 PM Re: Newaukum River (trib of Chehalis)
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Hey, wait a minute. Oh nevermind. For a second there I thought I accidentally clicked the link to nwfishing.com rolleyes rolleyes

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1427 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |