Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106076 - 01/09/01 07:26 PM FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
DEEPWATER Offline
Smolt

Loc: MAPLE VALLEY, WA
Does anyone know the pros and cons of using Firewire? I saw where it is nearly twice as expensive as highly regarded maxima ultra green. Is it a specialty line for pulling plugs and how is it for casting?

Thanks for the info
DEEPWATER

------------------

#106077 - 01/09/01 08:32 PM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
It's great for casting. On my salmon rod, I use 30lb Fireline which only has the diameter of 15lb test and on my steelhead float rod, I use 14lb Fireline (6 lb diameter) with 14lb Berkley Vanish for leader. It casts great and is nice and strong. It's really nice for float fishing.

#106078 - 01/09/01 11:38 PM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
You don't want to snag up and leave firewire snagged up in a hole. Its a pain when I get hung up on that stuff.

#106079 - 01/10/01 03:27 AM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
paul in b'ham Offline
Smolt

Loc: b'ham,WA.
I like and use Firewire (the fluorescent green) for float fishing because like the float, IT FLOATS. I use Maxima for drift fishing but only on my bait caster (stuff definitely is not meant for a spinning reel).

Later
Paul

#106080 - 01/10/01 10:23 AM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
Potaire Offline
Smolt

Loc: Eatonville, WA.
I have the Power Pro brand of firewire, and I have mixed feelings about it. It DOES cast VERY far--my 20lb test is the same diameter as 6lb mono. And it IS stronger than heck--I've broken the branches off of trees trying to pull my snag free. Got all my gear back in one piece!! But, it is an absolute BEAR to get untangled from mono. Get a shirt that says "I use fireline", and all the other fisherman will avoid you like the plague! Anyways, you have to pay more attention to your reel to avoid the startings of a birdnest, cuz once it gets going you ain't gonna fix it. You have to cut out that expensive line. I'm a rookie, however--maybe the vets don't have the same problem.

#106081 - 01/10/01 11:02 AM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
It has a lot of positives, but there are some negatives (just an opinion) with using it.

Negatives:

1. Virtually impossible to break by hand when hung up

2. Leaves a mess in the river if you bust off 30 ffet and it stays in the hole. It just saws up mono

3. It ain't cheap to replace

4. I think it's awful hard on your rod and guides. Make sure it isn't wrapped around the tip or guide, and hook a fish

5. Birdsnests with this stuff stink

Positives:

1. It is very sensitive

2. You can cast farther, and hold more line on your reel

3. Great when using floats

There's my opinion, pick your poison.

#106082 - 01/10/01 02:04 PM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
seabuy Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle, WA, 98116
Regarding guys getting hung up because of the strength of Fireline, I always wonder why one would put 20 or 30 lb test on a river rod, regardless of diameter. Why not use the 10 lb with a diameter of 2 lb mono?? This would solve alot of the negative comments I read here. That said, let me add one other point: I use my river rod and levelwind reel for lightweight saltwater blackmouth fishing. DON'T USE FIRELINE WITH DOWNRIGGER CLIPS CAUSE THEY CUT AND RIP THE HECK OUT OF THE CLIP PADS. The fine diameter really slices up the equipment.

[This message has been edited by seabuy (edited 01-10-2001).]

#106083 - 01/10/01 07:50 PM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
I never it floated better then Maxima. I've seen it in the stores and it's really expensive. I use Maxima and when you're float fishing and have to mend your line upstream it's like peeling cooked dry spagetti noodles apart. It's really sticky. I'm goin to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

#106084 - 01/10/01 09:52 PM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
buzzerbaby Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Longview, WA
I used it for both drift and float fishing, I still prefer mono for drifting and tuff line for floats. The tuff lines not as stiff as the fireline, even though after a while the fire line does get limper. Just my .02.

#106085 - 01/11/01 01:23 AM Re: FIREWIRE FISHING LINE
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I like the fact that Fireline is a bit stiffer. When using T.U.F. Line, it has the tendancy to wrap around the very tip of the rod. I don't have this problem with Fireline.

It's funny that you mention birdsnests being a problem with Fireline. Every birdsnest I have ever gotten with this line I have been able to pull out.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 829 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |