LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114477 - 05/30/01 02:12 PM WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
On May 21, I met with Ray Croswell (WDFW) concerning the Cowlitz River public access area located at the "Wallace Gravel Pit" fishing site. The meeting went very well and I was pleased to get a copy of all easements and agreements between WDFW and the Wallace's concerning the public fishing area that were purchased back in 1971. I also received a copy of the easement map, which was also sent to the Lewis County Sheriff Office by the WDFW. The records show that the Wallace's were paid $47,780.00 for a 25' walking easement, which runs from the top end of Wallace's pit all the way down river to the "county line". The payment also included the purchase of a 60-foot road easement and a ½ acre parking area. The Agreement required the Wallace's to grade a 4000-foot length of roadway 60 feet wide. It also required them to lay Ballast rock at a depth of 9 inches, and then covering it with 4 inches of crushed rock. The State, in turn agreed to fence one side of the 60-foot easement road with sheep fencing when money was programmed for it.

Sometime between 1974 and 1990, the Wallace's increased the size of their gravel pit and removed, by mining, the mass majority of the graveled road, which the original easement was located on. It is my understanding now after meeting with Mr. Croswell, that the state will also be sending the Wallace's a letter, which will instruct them to leave the existing power line access road open for public vehicle use to access the states public fishing area.

For those of you that want to try out this new public fishing area, but may be afraid to use it because you don't really know the area, I will be more then willing to send you a copy of the states access map by e-mail. You will be able to down load the attached "tif" and print out your own copy. Print 2 copies, and give one to your fishing body! If you would like an electronic copy the map, e-mail me at cpr-fish@toledotel.com.

I will return your request with the attached "Wallace map tif'. This way, the Wallace's won't be able to Bull Shi* you about parking out side and walking in. When you inter the pit stay to your left and follow the power line road down to the river. The power line road is marked as pink squares on the map. If they attempt to shop you, don't hastate to call the Lewis County Sheriff Office at 360-740-9286 or 360-740-1382 and ask for Deputy Fred Wetzel and refer to case report # 0165448. With summer run returning now, this should be a great area for fishing. Remember, use it or loose it!

Good fishing,

Cowlitzfisherman

It the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#114478 - 05/30/01 02:17 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
hey cowlitz- please shoot me an email with the map attached. Thanks fishmaster

djoh808199@aol.com

#114479 - 05/30/01 03:46 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
Ratherbfishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Way to go! Thanks for the work and research. smile

#114480 - 05/30/01 03:50 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Kid Cowlitz here. Thanks for the hard work, the b***[Bleeeeep!] that you had to go through, and the time spent in researching this for all fishermen. If we ever meet, I'll buy you a popsicle and share eggs with ya.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#114481 - 05/30/01 06:11 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Cowlitzfisherman:

Kudos to your hard work and preseverance. Researching easments and dealing with beaucracies is never easy, believe me I know!

I would love an electronic copy of the map. Please send it to fishsalot82@yahoo.com

Thanx,

Bobber Down

"Keep your hooks sharp!"

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#114482 - 05/30/01 09:58 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Cowfish,

hey dude send me one! I see you live around Toledo. so does my girlfriend. maybe you know the family. Serl is the last name. maybe see you around. I might fish the Cow this sunday. maybe do the flought through town and down. Or maybe we will fish off Anderson Bar.

dcrzfitter@aol.com
later,

dc

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: dcrzfitter ]

#114483 - 05/30/01 11:51 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
Thank you for a job well done! Sure! I'd love a copy of the map! smile

#114484 - 05/31/01 08:50 AM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
I would like one too. I always get lost in the fog. The Duck

#114485 - 05/31/01 10:58 AM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
Thanks for the hard work and research cowlitzfisherman! Could you please send the map tif to me at scott@warter.com

See ya on the Cow, laugh

Scott

#114486 - 05/31/01 11:30 AM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
hey cowman- thanks i got the map just fine!!

#114487 - 05/31/01 12:40 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
Ron Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carnation, wa
ME TOO!!! ME TOO!!!
Thanks for the hard work.

Ron Bob

#114488 - 05/31/01 01:27 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
riverdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for your tireless effort to make this available, I would like to use this access, and a map if you would be so kind.

#114489 - 05/31/01 01:48 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
Thank you for the all the hard work. I am sure that all of us that use the river will keep it clean so your work does not go to waist. I did send you a E-mail but you may not have gotten it . Please send my a map also. Thanks laugh

#114490 - 06/01/01 01:39 AM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I've converted the map to gif format and you can download it by going here

Thanks Cowlitzfisherman ... good luck everyone!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#114491 - 06/01/01 02:27 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
cowlitzfisherman,

Good Work! Though, I don't fish the cowlitz, often. It is nice to see someone go through that much effort for securing public access. Some guys might have kept the spot limited access, to them and a few select friends. It is good to see, you pushed it through, kudos. smile

#114492 - 06/03/01 12:01 PM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
Beaner Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tumwater, Wa. U.S.A.
Thanks for your hard work and sharing. Please do send a copy of the map to me. And yes, I will share too.

#114493 - 06/04/01 02:05 AM Re: WDFW's Cowlitz River "Wallace Gravel Pit" access Map now available
bronc Offline
Parr

Loc: vancouver wa
bob thanks for printing the map again i see where i made my error in finding the pits. thanks,

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (WDFW X 1 = 0, darth baiter), 463 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645440 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |