LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115102 - 06/11/01 07:12 PM Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I was out farting around the Sky early yesterday and I swear I saw some kings rolling down low on the river. Am I nuts? It was enough to keep me on a spot I normally pass up after a couple casts. No, I never hooked one. They very well could have been kelts or something but they sure looked like Kings...

Bruce

#115103 - 06/11/01 07:31 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

your not nuts, they were kings, the river is full of them...

#115104 - 06/11/01 07:41 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Bruce,

From what I understand, the Wallace river summer chinook run starts cranking up in June. The peak is about mid to late July. I have hooked many of these kings incidentally while fishing summerruns. They take plugs well, although I wouldn't get caught pulling a K-14. I know that the return is substantial, though there hasn't been a sport season on kings in the sky in years. I'm sure that what you saw were some of the early fish, so rest assured it wasn't a figment of you imagination (or whatever was chilling in the cooler) laugh laugh laugh

#115105 - 06/11/01 10:02 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Bruce, you thought those rockcod we caught up out of Tofino were steelhead kelts too. You gotta thing for kelts or what? And I can attest to the accuracy of his statement about farting around by the river! laugh Jk'ing around bud. ... Why don't they open up a short sportfish season on all those Kings if they come on stronger - or do you have to have Native American heritage to get in on extra fish? Are the Wallace Hat springers fin clipped?

---------

RT
Border Customs Agent - U.S.
Kokanee Pro Staff

#115106 - 06/11/01 11:29 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
From what I've been told is that the Wallace hatchery is supposed to be getting a huge surplus of Kings.Somewhere between 4000 to 6000.The reason I was told that we can't fish for them is that only something like 38% of the returning run are fin clipped.This number is not high enough for the fisherman to distinguish hatchery fish verses wild,and consequently would consist of too high of a hooking mortality rate on wild fish.

What are these fish for? We do not get to intercept them in the salt,we dont get to fish for them in the river! Why is this hatchery even running if these fish are returning for nothing better than to be used as cat food!

The money spent on these fish could be used for raising steelhead.My .02 confused

#115107 - 06/12/01 12:34 AM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
bank walker Offline
Spawner

I agree with reiter rat. Look at all the extra hatchery steelhead we could get if they would stop planting Kings! If the Wallace doesnt get a Native run of Kings why not just open it up, that would spread pressure out from the steelhead crowd. Of course, there would be a snagging issue with some of the mobile home folk.

All that money spent to fatten somebodys dog. hmmmmm

-BW
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#115108 - 06/12/01 11:54 AM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
A number of sport fishers and guides lobbied hard for a recreational fishery on these fish during the North of Falcon Process. Unfortunately the end result was, as far as I understand it, that all the sports Chinook allocation was used up in other fisheries like the Straits so that no fish were left for a terminal fishery in the Skykomish. The river guys have to make more noise. These are beautiful fish and I hope to have a crack at them some day.

#115109 - 06/12/01 12:02 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Was up at the Wallace Hatchery last weekend. Saw about 100 nice chrome Kings in the holding pool. I was not able to spot an adipose fin on a single fish! I'm not too sure I buy the %38 number. Looked better than that to me!

I'm with ReiterRat. Why not just raise steelhead???? Seems like a real waste of fish.

Parker

#115110 - 06/12/01 01:19 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Thanks for all the replies. I had stopped to talk to a couple guys on my way out Sunday and mentioned the Kings to them and they looked at me like I was nuts. Said it might have been a school of whitefish. I may not be the brightest bulb in the box but I can tell a whitefish from a King.

Beezer, I remember you mentioning this run before and how we almost got a short season on them. Really, what's the point of the Wallace hatchery if they're not clipping the smolts? Seems like every budget session in Olympia we hear doom and gloom about not enough money to keep Reiter open yet they're obviously spending a good chunk at Wallace for fish we're not supposed to be targeting? Duh? confused

Bruce

And RT, anyone who has fished with me knows of my prowess when it comes to breaking the wind. It's a point of honor.

#115111 - 06/12/01 05:27 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Okay, let's see......The North of Falcon Process allocates a said # of returning kings to be harvested in the straits and coastal waters, etc., but there are no sport fisheries in the straits or ocean waters until sometime in July, right? Soooooo....when do you think the majority of the hatchery kings come back to the Sky and then into the Wallace hatchery? I'd have to say that in the past the hatchery gets it's big push of kings in June and early July. So why not open the damn thing for the month of June when there are not many wild kings in the river or open the Wallace itself? Sure it would be a zoo and a redneck snagfest, but at least we'd get a sportfishery, eh? I just can't understand the WDFW's reasoning behind this, can you?

The fish that Parker and I saw in the Wallace hatchery last week were chrome kings from about 10 to 15 pounds with slim bodies like that of spring chinook. All of them, that we were able to see (approx. 100) were clipped.

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#115112 - 06/12/01 05:49 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk

#115113 - 06/12/01 06:17 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I seem to recall a post on here a few months back thats asked if you would like to see the Kings open and most said NO confused because of the pressure on the river. Oh well guess another missed opurtunity aye?? Know that they had a meeting on it a few months ago too but didn't hear what the results were. Guess they weren't that good. rolleyes rolleyes

Tight lines

Kevin

SRBC confused

#115114 - 06/12/01 09:46 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I can certainly understand wanting the pressure lower.

Not having a king fishery sure kept a lot of folks home on June 1, especially from Sultan down!!! rolleyes laugh wink

Just kidding. With all the people steelhead fishing, it seems that there can't be much more incidental catch of ESA kings than is already taking place. The marked fish are just going into the hatchery and off to a cat food plant, or something along those lines.

I wouldn't mind fishing for them, as long as WDFW would pop the snagfest at the mouth of the Wallace. mad

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#115115 - 06/13/01 12:52 AM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
BK they are Kings the last three years we have hit them wile fishing for summer run
:

#115116 - 06/13/01 03:02 AM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Please help me!!! Why keep the Wallace hatchery open? Sport anglers can't take advantage of this fishery. But WDFW wants to shut down Reiter Ponds, which draws more $$$ Wallace or Reiter? Can anyone make sense of this?

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: salmontackler ]

#115117 - 06/13/01 01:03 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Exactly Salmonhackler.

Look at all the people out chasing summer runs already. You know a lot of money is probalby coming into the area because of the opportunities from Reiter. Why not keep boosting Reiter with money from closing Wallace, which is essentially nothing more than a makework program?

#115118 - 06/13/01 01:29 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
The Wallace hatchery also raises the Coho that we usually get to fish for. My understanding is that all of the Snohomish system chinook are managed under the same blanket plan. Because the wild fall fish are endangered, they keep the river closed to the taking of any kings. Beezer (gary), knows more of the details of the management plan than I, so maybe he can chime in with some details. Also, rumor has it that many of the Sky summerruns are reared at the Wallace hatchery. It seem that somewhere along the line, politics of some sort are involved in the management decisions. If we could get all of the fish clipped, and have a season that coincides with the June 1st opening, and maybe running to the end of July, we should be able to have a shot at these fish. Of course the tribes would want their share, and the whole issue might just be too complicated for the state to want to deal with. rolleyes

#115119 - 06/14/01 11:53 AM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA

#115120 - 06/15/01 12:31 AM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Griz Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar, WA, USA
Last year I saw Indians loading up on the kings. They helped collect eggs and the rest was loaded to be sold to parts unknown.

#115121 - 06/22/01 02:36 PM Re: Sky Kings? Or am I nuts?
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Just an FYI, I checked the WDFW website and as of June 20th, there were 1,000 Summer Kings at the Wallace hatchery.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cheaper2buyfish@grocerystore, EastCreek, Guidewest, NeverEnoughPTO
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1201 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |