THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115893 - 06/23/01 03:07 PM Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
On the Cowlitz River, WDFW apparently now has 2 different set of rules on how they define what a chinook "jack" is. According to there own rules on page 13 of there 2000/2001 pamphlet, WDFW defines a fresh water chinook jack as a "chinook less than 24" in length". They do not say that its may be 12-16 or 14-18 inches in length, they just define chinook jacks as anything less then 24".

I would like to ask this BB for their opinion on WDFW's policy concerning a "jack fishery", or maybe I should say the "lack of a jack fishery" on the Cowlitz River below Mayfield Dam. The current WDFW policy does not allow fishermen to keep or harvest any spring chinook jacks below Mayfield Dam on the Cowlitz. Why is that? Since these "jacks" don't contribute much, if anything at all to the hatchery needs or production, why not allow them to be harvested in the lower Cowlitz by fishermen? Currently, we have a good fishery going on for summer run steelhead on the Cowlitz and lots of these jacks are being caught in that fishery. Last week, over 459-spring so-called chinook "mini-jacks" was trucked from the lower river up to Riffe Lake for fishermen to harvest. In the lower river, fishermen are not being allowed to keep or harvest these same exact fish that are now being trucked to Riffe Lake and the upper Cowlitz for harvest! What is WDFW's logic for doing this?

So why hasn't WDFW been honest with us and told us the truth about this "jack trucking fiasco"?
If you read WDFW weekly escapement reports at http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/hat/escape/escape.htm you will notice what WDFW total jack count for the Cowlitz River is only 55 fish. When you read Tacoma's News Release, they report that over 203 jacks have already been passed into the upper Cowlitz where they can be legally harvested. Last week (6/21) Tacoma's weekly News Release stated that WDFW had taken over 459 "mini-jacks" up and released into Riffe Lake for a sport harvest. According to the rules pamphlet, these "jacks" and mini-jacks" can all be harvested behind the dams?

Currently, WDFW are taking all the spring "mini-jacks" up to Riffe Lake for harvest under WDFW's "Landlocked Salmon Rules". In the Lower Cowlitz, these same "jacks" and "mini-jacks" are being "protected" from harvest. WHY? None of these jacks have originated from Riffe Lake, so why is WDFW making Tacoma truck these harvestable "jacks" up to the upper Cowlitz and Riffe Lake to be harvested? The trucking of these jacks are costing thousands of dollars, which Tacoma could be better using in promoting a better and healthier sport fishery in the lower river. If WDFW were trucking these fish into the upper river above Mayfield or Riffe Lake for natural production or for adding "bio-mass" enrichments, we could understand their actions, but they are not doing it for that reason, its being done only for harvest! WDFW's current actions cannot be supported by any logical fishery management plan and should be stopped immediately! If there logic was to keep it closed to protect any possible accidental catching or possible shortfalls of adult spring chinook escapement retuning to the hatchery, then why have they allowed the current fishery on the summer runs? Are we going to face this same problem again this fall when we have tons of fall chinook jacks returned back again like last year? What do think the answer is? Should we have an open fishery for jacks or not? What's your opinion? What are the Friends of the Cowlitz (FOC) opinion about opening up a sport fishery for spring and fall jacks on the Cowlitz?

Cowlitzfisherman,

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: cowlitzfisherman ]

#115894 - 06/24/01 12:06 AM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Couldn't agree with ya more Cowfish!!! We fished the Cow yesterday and RT picked up one mini-jack. Would have made a great dinner for two!!! No sense to this at all!!! Just shot an e mail to the fish program managers and the director. Don't know if it will help, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

#115895 - 06/24/01 12:15 AM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
After reading such a literate, well thought-out, passionate pleading I am unable to come up with a single reason why this harvest is not allowed.

I'm afraid that I need to be dumb here. What happens to a salmon jack? Does it die with the mature adults, or does it drift back out to sea? Sorry I don't know myself.

#115896 - 06/24/01 01:04 AM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
i also see know reason not to have a jack fishery on the cowlitz.especially when i'm getting low on eggs and they keep eating them.probably caught 15 or so in the last 2 weeks.thet certainly are small, some i have caught have only been 10 to 14 inches.scott

#115897 - 06/24/01 11:06 AM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Fobbman

"Jacks" are immature males that never will develop to an adult salmon. Not all jacks are males, once in a great while you will get a young female that is undersized and will be considered a "jack". Jacks attempt to spawn with female adults but don't add much to the gene pool. Large returning numbers of jacks usually indicate to the fishery managers that there will be large returning runs of adults the following year, but not always does that happen. Fish managers use these same numbers when they run their programs along with other factors to determine the run size each year. Hope this helps you understand what happens to a salmon jack when he returns. The best thing that jacks are good for is to end up in somebody frying pan! Neither chinook or coho Jacks ever return to sea once they inter fresh water, they always die. So why not eat them?

Cowlitzfisherman,

wink

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: cowlitzfisherman ]

#115898 - 06/24/01 11:35 AM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
Where I come from we refer to female jacks as Jennys. I've only seen 1 caught in 45yrs of fishing. What ever thats worth. Duck

#115899 - 06/24/01 12:17 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Duck In The Fog

You are right. Female jacks are not real common in most places, nor are they here! When I was guiding and fishing everyday on the Cowlitz, I saw my share or small female jacks on the Cowlitz. This especially true when you get back over 15,000 or more jacks like we see on the Cowlitz during our large coho returns (i.e. 50,000 adults). Not to many others rivers in our state support large run of coho such as the Cowlitz does. On years like that, it not uncommon on the Cowlitz to see several "jennys" Several years ago, a large numbers of "jennys" were being caught in Riffe lake. The Biologists were never sure if this land locked coho successfully spawned or not. Most of them were caught going through the area, which is now known as Cowlitz Falls Dam and the 108 Bridge. They believed that these "Jennys" were headed up into the Cispus and upper Cowlitz in an attempt to spawn. No one that I know of has ever observed these jacks actually spawning on redds. So that's a bit of history about jacks and Jennys on the Cowlitz.

Cowlitzfisherman,

laugh

#115900 - 06/24/01 04:36 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
So if the jacks don't spawn or contribute to the gene pool, why aren't we allowed to keep the wild ones in the fall like on the north fork lewis, etc.

#115901 - 06/24/01 04:39 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
The only real problem that I see is that by opening a targeted season on spring chinook jacks, it creates that grey area for unscrupulous anglers to target the depressed adult run, using the excuse "hey, we were fishing for jacks." It seems that by trucking them over the dams, (which I don't believe they do with springer adults?) and only targeting them in the lakes, it removes the possibility of the mobs coming down to the Cowlitz for the jacks, and hooking and keeping springer adults. Maybe if they had an incidental catch rule or something along those lines, especially for the fall Coho jacks, a resolution to this problem could be reached.

#115902 - 06/24/01 06:44 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Ok, I kind of thought that they died with the rest of them but wasn't sure and therefore didn't wanna stuff these size 12's of mine down my gullet.

My irrational thinking would follow that as long as there is an adult fishery opened that the jacks should be a fishery as well. Possibly allowing the retention of jacks not going against the bag limit of adults, up to maybe three to six? However, as soon as you bag your limit of adults you are done.

They're gonna die. They're not going to contribute to the gene pool. I say we eat them!

#115903 - 06/24/01 07:42 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

4Salt,

I am having a little problem with your logic. I am not trying to get to you, or make you look bad! But think of it this way. Lets say you have a hunting season for late bucks only (no does), some poachers decide to kill a-none legal deer, including some does. Even though it's been a hard winter and the "herd" is not as healthy as it should be, does that justify closing the entire hunting season because a few "hunters" MAY not abide by the rules? I think not! If you look at the entire history of the Cowlitz Spring Chinook runs and the problems that it has, you will realize the current run size down falls are not from over fishing by sport fishermen.
They are directly related to Tacoma's continued failure to make the needed improvements to the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery. Tacoma has known for many years what they have needed to do to correct the spring chinook problem, but has held off until they negotiated a new license. The current Salmon Hatchery is a cesspool; it's also a disease incubation center. I personally have never seen "mobs" coming to the Cowlitz to fish for "jack"only. There no reason why we can't keep jacks in the lower river be it falls, spring, or coho jacks! Thanks for your reply.

Cowlitzfisherman

#115904 - 06/24/01 08:02 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Krome Brite : Jacks do fertilize eggs that do hatch. There for they do contribute to the gene pool. The Duck

#115905 - 06/24/01 09:04 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Like Duck just said, jacks do spawn with the rest of the salmon. From what I've learned they don't usually have a female to themselves; they just dart in and fertilize the eggs before the normal sized male runs them off. I'm not sure what the rules are on the Cowlitz, but in my opinion, there shouldn't be a jack only fishery. Think what would happen down the road if there was a jack only fishery. The jacks presence in the gene pool wouldn't be there and pretty soon you have genetically altered this run of fish; especially if each fisherman could retain 6.

With hatchery stocks there are more mini-jacks than in native stocks. This is because young hatchery fish are raised to a smolt as soon as possible. Since they have such a good growth rate, this is an environmental cue for the fish to return and spawn. The fish barely make it to the saltwater before they turn around and come back.

I'm kinda rambling on, but I don't think they should open it up for a jack only fishery. It is a part of the salmon run and it shouldn't be pounded. WDFW should also use a portion of the jacks when fertilizing eggs.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#115906 - 06/24/01 09:15 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Duck In The Fog

You are right Fog. Jacks do contribute to the "gene pool". Like I said earlier, there contribution is very, very LIMITED! Have you ever seen much effort from any restoration group ("i.e. wild steelhead groups") out trying to either save or recruit wild jacks for their brood stocks? I have not, but maybe you have. Most hatchery managers and fish raisers don't want to "mix" to many jacks into their gene pool stocks because they are very concerned that they are encouraging more of the same (jacks). Do you have the same opinion as they do? If not, how many jacks do you think a system the size of the Cowlitz really needs?

Maybe some expert like Salmo G can in-light us both!

Cowlitzfisherman

#115907 - 06/24/01 09:32 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Cowlitzfisherman,

I'm not a part of any group as you have assumed I am. Jacks are a limited, yet important part of the gene pool. If the hatchery managers really wanted to cut down on jacks, they would slow down the growth rate of young salmon to a more nature curve. But that would cause production to go down. I'm not saying that I think every jack should be used. I'm saying that "a portion" of the jack population should be used in fertilization.

~ Dr Pepper

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Dr Pepper ]

#115908 - 06/24/01 09:53 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#115909 - 06/24/01 10:06 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Sorry Cowlitzfisherman, I thought you were taking shots at me and saying I was in a wild steelhead group through your post to Duck. Yeah I think it would "ok" to open up a jack fishery as long as they got enough to use in fertilization of eggs. I've never tried to fish just for jacks. Is there a way you can target just jacks? If it is closed for the large mature fish and open for jacks, I think it would be best if it was restricted to a fishing method that usually catches only jacks. If those two things were met, fish on!

~ Dr Pepper

#115910 - 06/24/01 10:25 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Dr. Pepper,

The people that fish for jacks pretty much fish them all the same way. They use small baits of eggs or shrimp tails! That way, very few adult salmon are ever taken.

Cowlitzfisherman,

#115911 - 06/24/01 11:16 PM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Cowlitzfisherman, all I said was that they did contribute to the gene pool. As far as the rest of it does'nt matter if they did or didn't have a fishery for the jacks, I would'nt fish for them anyway. The Duck
P.s thank you for your work on the Wallace Pit issue.

#115912 - 06/25/01 12:06 AM Re: Open the Cowlitz for a "jack fishery" now!
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper:
Is there a way you can target just jacks?

Nah, but jacks or better have been targeted by Vegas blackjack players for years. wink

A jacks-only fishery is not the way to go. Let them be retained at the same time as mature adults.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1400 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |