Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116324 - 06/30/01 04:22 PM Perfexion
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Yes, the model in the magazine ad is mermaid-lithe and lovely...and yes, the line is thin (like the model), supple (also like the model) and casts nicely with my spinning reel.

However, the knot strength--in my brief experience with this line--is bad, bad, bad. I've hooked two steelies while using Perfexion, and both have broken me off at the knot. Very disappointing for a hack like me, because I don't hook fish as often (judging from the posts I read here) as many of you. When I DO hook fish though, I almost never get broken off--that is, until I was seduced by the lurid promises of Perfexion.

If anyone has any favorite lines for spinning reels, feel free to shout out the names...

I know a lot of people swear by Maxima UG, but I just don't like it for spinning reels due to its stiffness, what with loops jumping off my reel like so many dang bunny rabbits...

Any suggestions?

Thanks all, and good fishing.

#116325 - 06/30/01 04:45 PM Re: Perfexion
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
I use Spyder mono on my spinning reels. It seems to work pretty good for me. You might try some different knots on the perfexion line.

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#116326 - 06/30/01 09:08 PM Re: Perfexion
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you use 8# UG or less you shouldnt have a problem with the stiffness. I have always used 6# UG on my spinning set up and have never had a problem. If you play your fish right 6# should do the job just fine. I landed a 30# springer two days ago on my 1141 with 6# UG. Sure It took me 30 min to land him but It got the job done. I wouldnt normally go after springers with that setup but it was an accident.

#116327 - 07/01/01 05:22 PM Re: Perfexion
Fuzzybutt Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar, W.A
Perfexion from Maxima is absolute junk! a real black eye for the Maxima company, too bad, their other lines are pretty good, especially the UG. you'll see the Perfexion in the bargain bins soon, they will have to pay you to take it from them, just like the Berkley Vanish......watch your fish of a lifetime vanish before your eyes.

Fuzzy

Silent Approach Jigs

#116328 - 07/01/01 06:16 PM Re: Perfexion
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I used Perfextion last spring for nates and didn't have any problems with it, you may have got a bad spool. My go to line for spinning reels is Izorline.

#116329 - 07/01/01 10:48 PM Re: Perfexion
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle
Rapala Finease, This is an excellent line for spining reel. I use Maxima UG on baitcaster and the rapala for the spining, pound for pound this line is thinner and stonger the the Maxima UG. Test it for your self wet and dry with a scale. Average breakage on a 12lb wa 17.5 lbs. Same thickness as a Maximas ug in the 8lb range.

#116330 - 07/02/01 02:48 AM Re: Perfexion
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Personally I like to use STREN Magnathin or sensor. Both these lines are soft and both of them do well with abrasions. I use it on my 1141 and they both cast a mile. Using the magnathin in 10 lb and the sensor in 8 they both will break a 8# ultragreen leader before they do!
Keith

#116331 - 07/02/01 10:42 AM Re: Perfexion
chumsalmon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham
if your using mono, here's a little trick to try. fill your spinning reel spool up, and then put it in a dish of water in the fridge overnight. trust me it works! it will take a set to the spool and you won't have any line spilling off the spool. Just a tip for ya!

#116332 - 07/02/01 10:46 AM Re: Perfexion
DriftWood Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma, Wa, USA
Izorline for coffee grinders.

#116333 - 07/02/01 11:17 AM Re: Perfexion
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I use maxima on my levelwinds(ivory winter,UG in the summer). I have found Izorline to be excellent on my shimano 2000 spinning reels. It seems like it might be a little stiff but it relaxes to be quite limp after some light use. I have landed big chinook on 8# so strength and knot strength are not a problem. Izorline has proven to be very durable.

#116334 - 07/02/01 11:19 AM Re: Perfexion
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I use maxima on my levelwinds(ivory winter,UG in the summer). I have found Izorline to be excellent on my shimano 2000 spinning reels. It seems like it might be a little stiff but it relaxes to be quite limp after some light use. I have landed big chinook on 8# so strength and knot strength are not a problem. Izorline has proven to be very durable.

#116335 - 07/02/01 04:15 PM Re: Perfexion
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
For level wind reels, Maxima is excellent. I use it on my Curado regularly. I haven't tried Perfexion yet and probably won't. But for spinning reels, avoid Maxima like the plague. It's much too stiff. I prefer Trilene Big Game for spinning reels. It's got excellent knot strength and is inexpensive. So I respool every other time out. I believe that fresh inexpensive line is better than expensive line that been on the reel for a couple months.

I also checked with the folks at Fisherman's Marine in Portland. They did some testing on break strength and found Big Game to have the highest break strength of the lines they tested. (I should have asked which brands they tested). Just my .02.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1291 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |