Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117318 - 07/17/01 08:01 PM Westport Question
RiverFool Offline
Fry

Loc: Renton, Washington USA
I'm curious about the sportfishing boat's practice of netting any 'legal' fish rather than releasing the smaller fish. I couldn't find the post from a week ago about the Ms. Magoo boat. Any recommendations on a good boat for this season and does the Captain make the difference???

#117319 - 07/17/01 08:47 PM Re: Westport Question
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Most, if not all, of the charters will net "any" legal fish and bonk it, if I understand your question correctly. They are there to spend as little money on gas as possible while getting their customers on fish.

Last weekend while up at Sekiu the hatchery fish were about 1 in 3 fish caught, but we had a run of 10 native fish caught in a row. So sometimes it can take a while before you get your limit of hatcheries.

Most clients out there want to take home fish, even a few small ones. The charter boats need to get folks their limits because it is just good business. Who would want to pay that kind of money and come back with no fish?

I'm sure that you could ask the deckhand to release the small ones that you catch, but then you run the risk of getting no fish at all, or getting someone elses smaller fish. The other option would be to charter a smaller boat with a bunch of your buds, like the SIXPACK, and tell the deckhand that no small fish will be kept.

Hope this helps, I am a business banker and have a lot of clients in that area, so I have a bit of inside knowledge.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#117320 - 07/17/01 08:54 PM Re: Westport Question
Z-fish Offline
Parr

Loc: duvall, wa
I went out on the Ms. Magoo last Monday. The crew was top notch. Really hussling to make sure everyone was taken care of. I caught a total of nine salmon. Three hatchery coho and two small chinook (released), three hatchery coho and one chinook. Ms. Magoo operates out of Ocean Charters, Inc.

#117321 - 07/17/01 10:01 PM Re: Westport Question
River Rat Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa. Perice
How did you get my handle

#117322 - 07/17/01 11:01 PM Re: Westport Question
jcw Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Wa, USA
How far are they runing outta Westport to find fish? I remember going ten to twelve miles there a couple of years ago.

#117323 - 07/17/01 11:13 PM Re: Westport Question
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
My cousin runs and own the GOLD RUSH II out of Westport Charter Service. Hands down the best boat and skipper down there!!

#117324 - 07/17/01 11:54 PM Re: Westport Question
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
RiverRat, I fished Westport a couple weeks ago aboard the Silver Duchess (Neptune Charters). I don't really think it matters much which boat you're on, they all go to the same general area and they all talk amongst themselves and know whats going on, the day I was out all boats limited and all were back to the dock by about 1:00 p.m., That being said, the differences will be in the boats and the crews, the SD is nothing fancy and probably the slowest boat in the fleet but it fished well and was comfortable, as for the crew, the deckhand Mike is a good guy and knows his stuff, didn't think much of the capt. though, there were some kids and inexperienced fisherman on board and he was very impatient and sometimes rude to them, one older gentlemen actually told the capt. off for trying to yank the rod out of his hands. As for the fish, they don't release any legal fish, I think there in a race to see who can get back to the dock first.

#117325 - 07/18/01 02:24 AM Re: Westport Question
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hey Fishmaster,

Would your cousin be Kevin V., a high school teacher? If so, I have to say that Kevin and his crew are some of the most personable folks that I have ever fished with. My father-in-law will only fish with him, or me. But he only fishes with me when Kevin's boat is full, as I am not as friendly. wink

I fished his boat on at least 6 or 7 different ocassions, and always had a great time. Kevin is top notch, you won't find many better. He has a knack for remembering names, and even remembered what rod I used, an old Kunan Classic 96. If you want to fish, pick any boat, but if you want to have fun, fish the Gold Rush II.

Andy

#117326 - 07/18/01 11:33 AM Re: Westport Question
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Talk about a small world! Kevin was my high school science teacher back in the early 80's. He is indeed top notch and probably has as much or more experience than many charter operators down there.

Very professional.

#117327 - 07/18/01 02:39 PM Re: Westport Question
RiverFool Offline
Fry

Loc: Renton, Washington USA
Thanks to all that responded, I think I get the picture.

River Rat - it seems that I registered on the
board a month before you and you placed a space in the middle of your name so the userid software thought it was a different name. Since you post more than I & if this bothers you I could pick a different name. Let me know!

#117328 - 07/18/01 03:31 PM Re: Westport Question
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

...anybody know of a charter captain from long ago named Tom Hampton and if he is still operating a boat? Think his first boat was called Shenandoah

#117329 - 07/18/01 03:52 PM Re: Westport Question
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hi Jack,

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but my co-workers in Westport believe he died a while back. Sorry. This isn't an absolutely confirmed report, so sorry Tom if the report of your death was in error. Did this guy run his boat out of the old "Salmon Charters"?

Andy

#117330 - 07/18/01 04:56 PM Re: Westport Question
Dawg Offline
Egg

Loc: sequim,wa
SORRY-TOM HAMPTON DID DIE A FEW YEARS AGO. HE WAS ONE OF THE BEST CHARTER BOAT CAPTAINS IN WESTPORT AND A GREAT GUY

#117331 - 07/18/01 06:57 PM Re: Westport Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyone heard of where lynn hagan has gone to, he used to skipper the galaxy out of sea horse charters ?? i have fished westport since the late 60~s, anyone remember the teachers pet`s boats? i still have receipts from the good old days, 12 bucks including tackle and bait.

#117332 - 07/18/01 08:05 PM Re: Westport Question
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Hi Dogsalmon,

Was that back in the days when you walked uphill to and from school in the snow? smile The cheapest I ever paid was $50, but that was because I brought my own rod. Sorry, but I couldn't resist you dating yourself.

Andy laugh laugh laugh

#117333 - 07/18/01 08:06 PM Re: Westport Question
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

DogSalmon & Eric when did you guys attend Tumh2o? I graduated in 93. My older bro in 89. My dad has also been a teacher there for 28 years. I'm sure you know him to But don't know if i should say. not many students like him. He's the woodshop teacher Mr. Johnson. He has to be an A$$ because he has a lot of liability in that shop.

#117334 - 07/19/01 11:06 AM Re: Westport Question
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Went to Westport fishing last week. I would avoid Islander Charters. The fishing was good but the captain and crew were horrible! We had 3 deckhands on the boat and two of them were young teenage boys. None of the deckhands could distinguish a humpy from a coho. My party of four was fishing in the bow of the boat and at least 3 times we had to go to the back of the boat and grab a net and net our own fish because a decky was nowhere to be found. Thank god I had my own leaders because people who didn't have their gear spent 15 - 20 minutes out of the water waiting for help from the deckhands. Then the captain would just sit there with his own rod and fish and not even try to help any of his clients with fish and tackle problems, what a joke! I can't remember the name of the boat, but Islander Charters only has two of them....just stay away. Sounds like next time it's the Ms. Magoo.

Hint: When the boat is in a dead mooching drift pay attention to what way the current is going. The fish will actually pick up the scent trail from the charter and follow it to the boat and the first rods on the down current side were always catching the most fish.

Bobber Down

"Keep your hooks sharp!"

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Bobber Down ]

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#117335 - 07/19/01 12:00 PM Re: Westport Question
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

fishmaster,

I graduated from tumwater in 83'. Would your dad be Cliff Johnson? If so, your right....not many kids liked him. He always seemed miserable and his attitude spread. Back then he taught metal shop.

#117336 - 07/19/01 01:43 PM Re: Westport Question
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

ERIC yep he's my father. He has calmed down a bit since then. they got rid of metal shop and auto shop just have the wood shop left and when he retires they will probably get rid of that to. I no he wasn't well liked but if you had to put up with the kids he has to the you would be the same way. I go back there and visit he from time to time at school and it's all i can do to not grab a few of the kids be the throat and choaking them to death. They have no respect!! anyway good to know there are some people from T-town on here. And yes Kevin V. is my cousin. what a great guy. Top notch skipper and school teacher!!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bugle Boy, CarharttGirl, DARIN EVERSAUL, Louis F., Speyguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 875 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645447 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |