Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119700 - 08/20/01 02:08 PM Snapped Lamiglass
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Now that's I've managed to break my one and only Lamiglass "Certified Pro" rod over the weekend, anyone care to tell me what I should do next? Aside from Superfly yelling out "Get an Allstar", I'd kinda like to send the rod back to Lamiglass and see if they will replace it. If not for free, for a small fee.

Anyone tried this with Lamiglass? It's probably a 10 year old rod, so I doubt I can say it's under warranty.

The rod snapped (violently) in half when I went to set the hook and free the line off of the down rigger. Damn top half of the rod somehow managed to whip back, crack me in the head, and break my pair of Smith Sunglasses in the process! Oh well, at least we managed to land and bonk that fish!

Anyone have a phone number or address for Lamiglass? Should I even call them, or are they going to gaff me off?

#119701 - 08/20/01 02:14 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Parker, Call Lamiglass, they are pretty good about being fair with there broken rods. Both them and Loomis ahve treated me well with the rods I ahve broken. Don;t have the # here with me at work but it shouldnt be to hard for you to find. Good Luck. Firedog

#119702 - 08/20/01 02:34 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Parker,
You must have really had that baby sunk deep into clip,,
Lamiglass is pretty good about their warranties, but if not, I see your bud superfly has a special going on all-star rod
demos, $100.00 a piece or 3 for $300.00.
I`m glad you had your `eye-protection` on
though.

#119703 - 08/20/01 02:46 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
#1. Shame on you for buying one of those overpriced, piece of c rap, overrated Lamiglass rods. wink Just kidding. But I still think they are overrated and over priced.

If they don't stand behind their rod, then your next rod should a Fenwick or other Berkley product, (Abu Garcia is also part of this family). I have broken a few, all my fault (12 lb steelhead on a 5.25' ultralight rod when trout fishing and one lost to a car door), and they have always replaced them for free. My only cost was to ship the broken rod to them. Works with reels too.

#2. Downrigger tip. Always test the strength of your release, and only put the release on it's highest setting, (way back on the pads for Penn, clothespin, type releases), when fishing for Kings. Silvers and pinks get a light setting, never farther than halfway back, usually front third on the pad.

To release a 'hung' line with a fish on, reel down to where your rod tip touches the water, and give a short quick jerk, not a "rip the lips off a monster" hook set.

You probably already know these nuggets of downrigger wisdom, but hopefully someone else can avoid your unfortunate loss.

Best of luck on your attempt to get a new rod. Let us know. Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#119704 - 08/20/01 02:54 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Lightweight Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Everett
I had a buddy drive over his lamiglas at a boat launch. They still replaced it, just cost him the price of shipping. Just give them a call.

#119705 - 08/20/01 03:04 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Uh oh, looks like I need to clarify a few things.

First off, I did not buy that Lamiglass. It was given to me. Shame on you for "assuming" I had purchased a Lamiglass! wink

I was not wearing my shades, rather I had them resting on the bill of my cap. D'oh! Luckily, the rod just whacked me on the top of my head, and not just straight though my eye! Ouch. eek

I never had the line more then half way in the clip. The bigger bucks would pull the line off the clip, but the whimpy hens couldn't. This fish was a whimpy hen. I *might* be guilty of the Monster Hookset Action, though. wink My bad, and I paid the price for that stupid mistake.

I'll give Lamiglass a call tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully, they'll say more then "Idiot!" and not hang up on me while cackling out loud!

#119706 - 08/20/01 03:06 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Parker, I recently took 2 rods to Lamiglas that were broken they were both 8-10 years old, 1 was a Kenia Killer the other a Kenia Special, they gave me the top half of the killer which I had broken out of carelessness then and there for nothing, but they had to make a new top half of the special which they charged me $40 for and took a couple weeks to get back, I've always been happy with there customer service, I can't say that about G-Loomis. One other tip, for downrigger fishing, I think glass rods are a better choice, I don't think graphite holds up to well to the stress downriggers put on them, been my experience anyways.

#119707 - 08/20/01 03:12 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Since I don't own a boat and only fish the salt a few times a year, I don't have a dedicated rigger rod. But yeah, if I were going to buy one, I really like the idea of glass. Dang good suggestion for anyone!

#119708 - 08/20/01 03:13 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Free rod, then I'll forgive you. smile I figured that you already new about the release strength, but there are a few newbies out there. Happened once on my boat , but it wasn't my rod.

I didn't even have to bother with my downriggers this weekend! smile smile smile Just a 2oz sinker, and a plug cut.

Take care, Andy

P.S. Is that "Parker" as in you have your own fishin' show on TNN??????? ( wink ) These aren't bass, ya know.

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Dogfish ]

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#119709 - 08/20/01 03:51 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
parker, broke two rods my self keni specials twice, couldn't figure out why? called lamiglas they told me not to be useing them on downriggers they can't take the back bone pressure the riggers put on them, sent it back to lamiglas they repaired it

#119710 - 08/20/01 04:20 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
flickyourjig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Saxon,wa.
Parker, Don't call them, just send it in.
Take it to one of those postal pakaging places. They'll put it in a tube and send it for 8 bucks. You don't have to say anything.7 days and your fishing, no questions. One drawback, On that old of a rod it won't come back the same, they don't make the CP's like that anymore.They'll probably send you a new rod. Keep the tube for great storage. Do you know how to spell overated?---------G-LOOMIS I'll E-mail you the address. Lamiglas 10'6-CP Finest rod ever made,period O.K. Give it to me boyz. laugh

#119711 - 08/20/01 04:31 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Parker -
www.lamiglas.com has the info you need.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#119712 - 08/20/01 05:51 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Parker,

I believe the CP line came with a lifetime warranty.

I've broke 2 Lamis over the years and they have always been great about fixing them for n/c.

#119713 - 08/20/01 07:06 PM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
BUY AN ALLSTAR laugh laugh

Fishhead5

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: fishhead5 ]

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#119714 - 08/21/01 02:18 AM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Hey Parker, Here's a quick and easy fix for the Lami. Stop down at Sportco and drop rod off with them. They'll fill in a warranty card and ask for $10 (I assume it's for shipping). They'll send it off, tell you if it's covered under warranty or if you'll have to pay extra, and get rod back to Sportco for you to pick up. Had my girlfriends rod snap on a hookset (did I mention that on setting the hook the rod hit the support braces on top of my sled?). Well, gave the rod to Sportco, paid the money, and didn't cost me more then that $10. This was an older lami too. I had bought it years ago right when the certified pros came out and had given it to my girlfriend. It's a good way to go Parker.

Northwest River Fisherman

#119715 - 08/21/01 03:00 AM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
bite me Offline
Egg

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Parker, here is the phone # (360) 225-9436.
The address is 1400 Atlantic, Woodland, WA 98674. Hope this helps.

Tony smile

#119716 - 08/21/01 10:33 AM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I use graphite rods too in my downriggers, but its my understanding that you want to use glass because the glass rod will relax once you reel down on it in the rigger. But the graphite rod will keep its stress and they when you hook set or el biggums blasts your stuff then snapppp. But like I've said maybe I've just been lucky for twenty or so years. laugh

Tight lines

Kevin

#119717 - 08/21/01 10:40 AM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
chumsalmon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham
if you ask the lamiglass factory they will tell you NOT to use there graphite rods in a downrigger, use either all glass or a blend, the prior post is correct, the graphite rods will explode under that kind of stress and pressure, it's just a matter of time before they do.

#119718 - 08/21/01 10:55 AM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Have been thikin about looking for some new downrigger rods. What is a good glass or blend rod thats not a meat stick in a 10'6" range?? Gave a knuckbuster a try and that was a kick but its not goin to cut it for the wifie though rolleyes

Tight lines

Kevin

#119719 - 08/21/01 11:18 AM Re: Snapped Lamiglass
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Brier, WA
Kevin,
Go buy yourself a $29 dollar yellow eagle claw granger starfire mooching rod. I have been using those things for downrigger rods for years and 0 problems. its only a 8.6 footer though but has plenty of flex, not sure why you would need a 10.5 footer. You do not need a super sensitive rod on the downrigger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1429 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |