LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120357 - 08/30/01 11:02 AM What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
WoodinvilleBill Offline
Parr

Loc: Woodinville, WA
After about 20 years of use on my old fiberglass mooching rod, I'm finally thinking about a new salwater downrigger/mooching rod. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have had great luck with fiberglass but would consider graphite. I don't want to spend a ton of money, functionality is my main concern.

WoodinvilleBill laugh

#120358 - 08/30/01 11:50 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
The downrigger rod doesn't need to be too fancy, just long and limber. You're not really detecting soft strikes or setting the hook, all you really need is for the rod to have a nice deep bend when trolling.

Mooching, OTOH, is probably more demanding. I don't really know much about it.

Regards.

Mike
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#120359 - 08/30/01 03:33 PM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
I don't have a lot of experience with downriggers, since I just started to use them this season, but Finegrain hit it-- something limber that will take a deep bend and has the backbone to set the hook on the release. Downrigger fishermen can tell you better than I what works best. I'm currently using two rods, a Berkley 8 1/2 foot steelhead rod in heavy action and a Shakespeare Ugly Stik in medium heavy. Both are good for the purpose, but the Ugly Stik is probably the better. HOWEVER, if you're going to use the rod for both, I would look seriously at the Berkley as it makes a dandy mooching rod. I prefer longer rods for mooching, G. Loomis makes a couple that I really like, but for cost effectiveness, it's hard to beat the Berkley rod.

For the Allstar fans, I picked up a medium heavy 8 1/2 footer recently that might well turn into my go-to rod for mooching. It's a waste to use it on a downrigger, though.

#120360 - 08/31/01 12:41 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
fishingtoo Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I have a pair of g loomis GL2's. 8 1/2 ft magnum butt/soft tip rods. I use them both ways, downriggers & mooching. Enough backbone that I have landed 30-35 pound kings in Canada & Neah Bay with no problem, yet sensitive enough that I feel every nibble mooching, even from bullheads or other small bottom fish. Great for when those kings are only mouthing your bait. I partner it with a pretty small level wind reel so makes for a light weight combo that can take on all comers. Got mine at Auburn marine as factory "seconds" (cosmetic that you struggle to see) for only $100 each, 3 years ago. Best rods I've ever owned, I was a Lamiglass fan until I got these. Just my two cents worth, many rods will do the job.

#120361 - 08/31/01 12:59 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Im sure that Salmontackler will have no problem helping you out with selecting a good downrigger rod. laugh

I havent done alot of mooching and very little downrigger fishing but from my short experience I will tell you that the best mooching rods on the market are SAR 1265 GL2's. They are a 10 1/2 10-40# rod and have no problem handling 8 ounces of lead. A freind of mine has landed halibut in upwards up 50 or 60 pounds with these rods as well as 60 pound kings. They are also a tough as nails rod as I watched the abuse these rods take and more then a few times I have wondered why that rod didnt just snap in half. They do load up better with atleast 5 or 6 ounces of lead and its much easier to pick up a light bite with the rod tip loaded up under the pressure of the lead working. Plus, being that these rods are 10 1/2 feet and take the abuse so well, I wouldnt worry about running them off a downrigger although I would still be careful. They retail for $211.

Another rod to consider is the STR 1265 which is the little brother of the SAR 1265. The STR 1265 is a 10-20 10 1/2 footer instead of a 10-40. They are excellent jigging rods and tend to give our coho and pinks and small blackmouth more play then the bigger SAR but they dont handle the lead as well as the SAR does. The STR runs for $201.

They are pricey but they are WELL worth it.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#120362 - 08/31/01 01:16 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
My two personal favorites are my Lamiglass Certified Pro Series FIBERGLASS rods and my St. Croix 10' 6" grafite rods. The extra length with the St. Croix is nice to pick-up the line when it releases from the clip. A nice side benefit is the Lamiglass it's the best plug rod I've ever used in a drift boat.

#120363 - 08/31/01 02:20 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Ryan, I have a pair of vice grips attatched to my tongue.

#120364 - 09/01/01 07:34 PM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
Check out the Triton Downrigger Rod in medium
action and the Triton 100 or 200 reel at the
Outdoor Emporium in Seattle. Ya can't break'em, they are affordable and they are notYELLOW !!! Ya don't want graphite for the
downrigger. cool cool

#120365 - 09/02/01 12:32 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
DO NOT USE GRAPHITE FOR DOWNRIGGER FISHING.

Sorry to yell but I wanted you to see this. Check with any manufacture and they will tell you to use fiberglass, not graphite. Last trip out I had the displeasure of watching another boat set the hook off of a rigger and the rod snapped. Sure enough, graphite. The way they are designed and manufactured, they do not like the continued stress from the rigger, only to be taken out of the rod holder and popped a couple of times. Look at Outdoor Emp for rigger rods. They will all be fiberglass. The ugly yellow ones work great, are 30 bucks, and will last a long time.

Steve

#120366 - 09/02/01 12:36 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Why Outdoor Euphoria? I would rather shop at Ted's Sport Center.

smile smile

#120367 - 09/02/01 02:02 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by salmontackler:
Why Outdoor Euphoria? I would rather shop at Ted's Sport Center.

smile smile

I sure as Hell hope you werent being sarcastic!! confused

smile

[ 09-01-2001: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#120368 - 09/02/01 04:21 AM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Ryan, why would you jig with a 10 or 10 1/2 foot rod? When jigging it is better to use a shorter rod, such a 7-8 foot lamiglas Puget Jigger or a similar model produced by Loomis.
They are correct about those graphite rods blowing up on downriggers, but I still use them....I just know better to try and pop the rigger loose or hookset when the rod is still "loaded" on the rigger.
We do alot of Jigging near Point Evans under the Narrows bridge and a shorter rod will wear your arm less than a longer one, case in point are the short halibut sticks.
I do prefer a longer rod when mooching though, but my longest moocher is a 9.5 foot certified pro Lamiglas. A 10 footer would be okay also.
Now lets not get into Boondoggin....take it easy guys and good fishin.
BTW...was going to head back to Westport, but now they are calling for "Surf Warning" with 13 foot swell, maybe its time to check out the Johns River area instead.

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#120369 - 09/02/01 01:46 PM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Hey Woodinville,

I have to second the guy above that said to check out the Lamiglas XCF series rods, they're all fiberglass downrigger/mootching rods, really beautiful rods. They come in lengths from 8'6" to 10'6", and line weights from 8 to 25lbs. My fishing partner finally bought one, I'm super jealous, going to get one soon. If you ever go down to Portland, stop in Woodland and check out their factory store, sometimes you can find the rod you want as a second, and save a few bucks.

Second choice would be those Shimano Triton rods, I've had three of them for about five years now, once a newbie on my boat broke the tip off of one (no, don't whack it on the side of the boat, then try to lift that 10lb coho into the boat with the rod) but otherwise, I've been real happy with them... and yes, they are black. We run Penn 310's and 320's on them, they are a good all-around rod and half the price of the Lamiglas.

-N.

#120370 - 09/02/01 11:57 PM Re: What's a good downrigger/mooching rod?
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I've used downriggers for 20 years and hands-down the Tritan "TDR" (Tritan Downrigger Rod) is the best rod for the money. I have broken a wide range of rods and the Tritan's are as tuff as they get while allowing enough flexibility to play a big chinook, frantic coho and yet detect a shaker take. I have used nothing but them in the past 3 years and have yet to break one. I would recommend a higher quality graphite mooching rod when ya got the extra cash.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |