Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120453 - 08/31/01 01:33 PM Buying Downriggers
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
I'm looking to pick up a couple electric downriggers for my sled. Any info on someone with great prices or an online site would be great. I've been to Outdoor Emp so I have a baseline to work from.

Also, If one brand of electrics are better than another, that would be great info. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks,

Steve

#120454 - 08/31/01 01:43 PM Re: Buying Downriggers
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
saltine, try berrysbait.com in canada he will ship to the us prices you see on the web page are canadian, the exchange rate is very good right now can't beat these prices any where, if your looking for scotty's

#120455 - 08/31/01 05:59 PM Re: Buying Downriggers
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Be American! Buy American!
Show the Black and Gold! www.pennreels.com

#120456 - 08/31/01 09:17 PM Re: Buying Downriggers
JasonS Offline
Smolt

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
Scotty downriggers have the absolute best warrenty. Take them into Auburn Sports and Marine and he rebuilds and has them back to you in a day. Vice Cannon or Penn where you have to send them in and have them repaired and wait for several weeks.

Jason S

#120457 - 09/01/01 01:26 PM Re: Buying Downriggers
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
I've got an American-made boat, run all American-made reels (Penn) but you can't beat the Scotty electric downriggers... I've got two, my fishing partner has one, so we normally run three on my boat, I've got nothing but good things to say about them.

Doug is right on the money telling you to go to http://www.berrysbait.com, I bought one of my riggers from there, ordered it via phone, it showed up the next day, if I remember correctly (couple of years ago). Recently another guy in our fishing club ordered one, same thing, no problems.

All the Scotty stuff is made on Vancouver Island, in Sydney or Victoria. The only place I've seen that had prices better than Berry's Bait is "Gone Fishin'" in Port Alberni, but the prices were only better by $5 or $10 Canadian. If you're really into it, you might call around and find a tackle shop in Victoria or Sydney, they might be a little cheaper, too, but I've never tried.

Check out the Scotty website http://www.scottyusa.com and take a really close look at the model #1105, this is the 60" retractable arm one, they made changes to this one in the past year or two, it used to be a 48" retracable arm, and the boom diameter used to be 1", now it's 1.25" and stronger, and it also has an upgraded clutch system. I've seen some stores in the states that are still selling the old ones, they have a red clutch handle.

At Berry's, the #1105 is $490 CDN, or about $315 US, while the "ProPac" version (which comes with a lot of cool stuff you're going to wish you had anyway, like the swivel base) is $560 CDN, or about $360 US.

I've got a 19' Custom Weld, and I have two 48" arm riggers with swivel bases, I wouldn't go with anything shorter, and I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the swivel bases... remember, you can retract those 60" arms really far in if you want... even farther if you don't use the built-in rodholder... check it out at Outdoor Emporium, buy all your Penn reels there, but buy you downriggers and accessories from Berry's. (they have good prices on all the clips and stuff, too)

-N.

#120458 - 09/03/01 01:59 AM Re: Buying Downriggers
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Boater'sworld.com was cheapest for my Penn 600's, considering that I got a free rodholder for ordering off of the internet. The rod holder was free, normally $29.95, plus no tax, about $15.00 so I saved about $45. You pay no shipping on orders over $100.00. Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#120459 - 09/03/01 08:10 PM Re: Buying Downriggers
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
I went from Penn electics to the Scotty #1105.The boom is a larger dia. and the pulley is bigger.I LOVE 'em.I find the brake and clutch are easier and smoother for me and the retreive is much faster.To grab your clip,you don't have to lean over the rail.The boom tilts up.Great for us old,fat guys.Berry's is the way to go especially with the exchange rate near 50%.There is a shipping charge of about $50 and a UPS bonded fee of $20.Still you get a great deal this way.I didn't get the swivel bases at first,but they are real handy and I have them now.Best to order everything at once for shipping charges.Berry's is a great place to stop on your way North and get info on B.C. conditions. Good Luck!!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |