Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120746 - 09/04/01 03:46 PM Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I just want to pass along a big thank you to the folks at Kalama River Bait and Tackle. I was there with a friend last Thursday morning. Sandra met us with a quick smile and few good tips on where to get some coho. That's more than I could expect at 5:30am, particularly from someone I'd never met. We didn't land anything that morning but it was nice to know where to get fresh bait and good information.

If anyone is on the Kalama this year, be sure to stop by and say hi. They're located 2.5 miles upriver from I-5 on Kalama River Road. You might pick up some valuable information, along with your fresh sandshrimp... <@)(((><

smile smile smile

#120747 - 09/05/01 01:14 AM Re: Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
NW_rvrbank_Babe Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lebanon Or, Kalama Wa
Thank you cohoangler.
Im very pleased to know you were happy with our service... smile
The Silvers are arriving stronger everyday, and as of Sept. 1st they raised the limit to 6.
Please come back and see us again!

Sandra
Kalama River Bait & Tackle

Also as of Sept. 1st, the river from the natural gas pipeline up to the hatchery is fly water only.

#120748 - 09/05/01 12:08 PM Re: Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Willierower and/or NW_rvrbank_Babe and/or anyone else in the know:

In re: fishing for the silvers with flies on the Kalama, what flies and sizes are reliable and are they normally fished with a floating line/long leader, or on sink tips with shorter leaders?

I have an 8 wt. and a line system with a floating tip and 3 sink tips of increasing density.

How should I set up to have an average chance at the silvers with fly gear?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#120749 - 09/05/01 01:16 PM Re: Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Sandra is it fly only up to the lower or upper hatchery? I will be up at my place this weekend for a party so will try and stop in and say hello to you and Willierower again if I get a chance. I try and stop everytime I go up and at least get a Coke or something. Take it easy.

#120750 - 09/05/01 03:06 PM Re: Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
NW_rvrbank_Babe Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lebanon Or, Kalama Wa
Firedog,
its closed to the intake at the lower hatchery.
Look forward to you stoppin in.

#120751 - 09/05/01 03:14 PM Re: Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
T Dodge,
Im not able to answer your question at this time. Im not too familiar with fly fishing for those silvers yet. When I get some good info on it I will let you know.

Firedog,
The flywater is from the pipeline to just above the lower hatchery. Im not sure where the upper boundry is yet. I will check it on sunday when Im back up there.
If you see a blue and white full sized Blazer with a black Willie drift boat behind it parked at the store, make sure to stop and say hi.

cohoangler,
Im glad your visit to the store was a good one. Sandra is doing a great job. Make sure to come back and say hi sometime.

#120752 - 09/05/01 04:21 PM Re: Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
As I understand it, the "flies only" section is from the gas pipeline behind Kalama River Bait and Tackle upstream to the confluence of Hatchery Creek. That's just upstream of the parking lot near Beginners Hole.

An 8 weight fly rod with a sink tip is just about perfect for coho. But if you tie into a fall Chinook, forget it. You'll need a 12-weight to stop them. But there aren't many Chinooks since the WDFW traps them downstream and trucks them to the upper hatchery. I use my 9 weight with sinking line and a 7 foot tapered leader (10lb). Yarn flies in orange, red, green or blue seem to work, particularly early in the morning.

The best place to cast is at Beginner's Hole from the opposite side from Kalama River Road. With chest waders you can acess from either upstream or downstream. The coho stack up in Beginners Hole thicker than I have ever seen anywhere outside of Alaska. But be aware, the hole is very deep (over 10 feet) and the fish are flat on the bottom. It's not easy getting a fly down. Good luck.

#120753 - 09/05/01 04:59 PM Re: Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
Curt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn,Wa
can someone please tell me where the natural gas pipeline is exactlly?thank you.

FISH ON!!!

#120754 - 09/05/01 05:02 PM Re: Kalama River Bait & Tackle - Thanks
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Curt, the pipeline is right behind Kalama river Bait and tackle

Willie, I will try and stop. I usually do if nothing else to get some ice. Stopped in lst mon for a couple cokes then headed on up river. Sure were a lot of people fishing that day. Went up and did my chores, sure glad I get to fish weekdays insted of weekends. Dont know if I would fight those crowds. To easy to find someplace to catch fish without the Zoo. Take it easy and see you sometime when I come in.

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: Firedog ]

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (eddie), 1292 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |