Just thought I would pass this along in case it happens to any of you folks Was out fishing the other day with some friends. A river I know well. Fishing the same way I always do. Pulling divers with sand shrimp. Then a rod tip hits the water. Fish On !! It takes a run makes a turn and is gone. We reel in, diver is there with 5 feet of leader line. No pig tail at the end so it is not knot failer. Oh well down the river we go. Rod goes down again this fish gets bonked for the BBQ.. Some what later rod doubles over again. Fish runs does a tail walk and ping gone again. Same thing diver and 5 feet of leader. Now this I do not like! Twice in one day not good. By the way the leader line is 12# Maxima enough to get the fish in. Bummed and perplexed we head home.
Well I go out to do a littel fishing again today with fear in my heart. Will it happen again?? Do I need heavier line? What is happening to me?? As I sit there tying up another Leader it hits me. The only thing that is different from normal is that I bought some new hooks. In fact 3 packs. I pull one out and take a close look. Well you know how they loop the shank around to make the loop on top of the hook? The end looks like it was cut with pliers and is sharp. Or at least has a bit of a point on it. Well when I tyed a snell knot. The main line gets pinched inbetween the crack and ping its cut.
Well I take a look at the hooks and they are all that way. I do not want to toss them What a waist. I conclusion. First, the fix is, tie a bait loop the first set of wraps will hold your line away from the littel crack where your line gets cut. Second if you have a good thing don't go buy something else.
I am sure many of you know of this but it had me thinking for a day or so. confused