THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134274 - 01/08/02 07:44 PM Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
No, I didn't completely flip out. I was just curious if any of you have ever approached someone after seeing them land a fish, and asked "What did he hit on"? I'm sure you have. I do that a lot-just walk over and either ask or nonchalantly go over to see their fish, but instead look at the setup on their rod while they're tending to the fish. Usually people are very forthcoming with info on exactly what they're using and are very helpful. But then there's the people that don't want you to know their setup. Like the guy I seen a few weeks ago that hooked a nice fish, grossly played it way on downstream below all the other fisherman to land it (not necassary really, he had a big rod and it wasn't THAT big of a fish), then cut his line as soon as he'd got the fish whacked on the bank. Walking back upriver, with a new setup on his rod, someone asked him what he caught it on and he replied "what I've got on right now." Yeah right, the guy had on a hook with black yarn and some pencil lead on when he came back. I don't doubt the black yarn might work in the right situation, but when the guy went downriver to land his fish, he had on a yellow float with some color of jig. Never found out which color since because he stuffed it in his pocket before coming up. My question, why are some people such bangholes when it comes to sharing harmless info like that about fishin'? To be honest, a few weeks ago when I was using the pink worm and catching fish on it, I wouldn't hold it out in front of me so everybody would see it as I walked by a crowd, but if somebody did ask me what I was using, I would tell them the truth and show them, even if they laughed at me for "using such a silly thing." shocked

Fishing, after all, is supposed to be a fun/'neighborly' sport and people like that kind of take that away.

#134275 - 01/08/02 11:52 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
I have one question. Where can I get some Whisper
Inlet Jigs. I was given a few by a friend and he
says they are no longer in production. The company
only makes flies now. But I am looking for the Whisper
Inlet Jigs that might still be on shelves somewhere. I really knocked em dead with this jig
over the weekend. If anyone can help me find some
please E-me ASAP. :p

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#134276 - 01/09/02 12:42 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Phish Offline
Parr

Loc: WA
What if a person goes through a lot of time and trouble to come up with something original or something that he thinks is original which happens to catch a lot of fish? I wouldnt want to share it with some stranger. I get territorial about some of my creations.

On something that is well known, well then I let it be even more well known.

I say to each man his own.

#134277 - 01/09/02 01:29 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
rcl187 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sedro-Woolley, Wa
I think it depends on the situation. If the guy who asks has been curtious so far (i.e. doesn't step into the river five feet down stream of you as your working your way down a hole) then I'd be more likely to show him. Occassionally If I've been talking with the person for more than 15 minutes and I'm catching multiple fish and their getting skunked I'll even give them a lure (as long as I have or can get multiples). This is very helpful if you fish a particular area on a regular basis and helps build friendships, plus later on it always comes back to you.
take off your pants and jacket

#134278 - 01/09/02 01:45 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
outliketrout Offline
Parr

Loc: Monroe, WA
If someone gives me a hand and tails my fish I will gladly show them what im using. happened just this weekend, I had a wild fish and someone helped me release it (the fish never left the water). I gave the guy a few pointers and thanked him for his help.

#134279 - 01/09/02 02:46 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
If it's drift gear or float and bait/jig, then I'll gladly help a fellow fishing brother out if they are inquisitive. My plugs, of which about 75% are custom painted, no way! I hide them all when I get to the ramp. Sorry, I know it sucks but I have to keep an edge on the competion somehow with the crowds out there on my home waters. wink

I guess it just takes time on the water to build confidence in what you are using. Once you have a handful of "go to" baits/lures, then you are in the money. I've hit some dandy fish this year on orange and then broke off and switched over to pink and hit more fish. I don't think that steelhead are too selective as long as your bait/lure matches the water conditions. Good luck and remember:

"When in doubt, you can use any color you want just as long as it's pink" wink laugh

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#134280 - 01/09/02 01:18 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I have to agree with what was said above. If a fellow fisherman is friendly and courteous, I don't mind sharing at all. However, I am of the belief that it isn't so much what you use, it's how you present it. smile

#134281 - 01/09/02 01:41 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Competition? Are you guys in tournaments?

I get as much joy watching people catch fish as catching them myself, and when there is a river with plenty of fish and I'm asked nicely I'm happy to share what I'm using if I happen to be doing better than the rest. Heck, there was one particular time on Baker Lake in Washington where I couldn't keep the fish off of my offering and the guy I was fishing next to wasn't having 10% of my luck. When I told him that it was a Blue Fox spinner he sighed that he didn't have anything like it. Myself I only had one left so as I was leaving with my limit I cut my line and THREW IT AS HARD AS I COULD INTO THE LAKE, LAUGHING MANIACALLY!

Okay, that last part isn't true. I gave him the lure and told him to knock them dead. He tried to pay me, but it's not a retail thing I'm doing out there. It's about fishing first, having a good time second, and catching fish third.

Now, if I'm a guide trying to make a living then maybe I'd do things differently.

#134282 - 01/09/02 01:45 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I guess I don't fish the crowds enough to understand crowding somebodys space.
I have one tecnique that I will not fish infront of anybody!If somebody did get the chance to ask "what color of power bait" I was using I would lie.

#134283 - 01/09/02 02:36 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I just share, hoping to gain a little more knowledge, and maybe get a thanks.

I'm the guy at the kid's fishing hole who makes sure everyone is catching fish, and I regularly give gear away, (hooks, leader, weights, swivels, bait), so that they can see what the right way to do it is. My attitude is the same on the salt, lakes, or on the rivers.

If you give a boy a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he'll eat all his life.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#134284 - 01/09/02 02:48 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Chubbytyee Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
When you pull up to the take out I always have the standard out of the package plug or spinners for the audiance. There's no need to have your custom beauties on display at the end of a successful day. As far as bank fishing theres no secrets, If some one approaches me well, It's right here to look at, or if that person doesn't have that flavor of corkie I'll offer one of them to have. After all it goes back to the 90/10 rule.

#134285 - 01/10/02 12:50 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
dosent everyone start somewhere? and learn a few things while on the river? if someone asks me what im using and if i caught fish on it i wont hesitate to tell them. why not bring a little chrome into their life smile ?
tyler

#134286 - 01/10/02 01:35 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the small rivers I fish I'll try to hide the fact that I've got one on or brought one to the bank. A lot of new guys out there who are basically "seagulls" in my book. They see where your nailinfish...well the next day they're in your spot. They see your rig...well the next day they're using it in your favorite spot. All of us should recognize that there's been a huge increase in urban type steelie fishers this year who don't have a clue. Got no problem with teaching my methods to a select few but letting this horde know....no way.

gooose laugh

#134287 - 01/10/02 11:23 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Well Gooose you did share about the black yarn.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#134288 - 01/10/02 04:27 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Gooose, you have it nailed down! I have had my good nature tested, by being willing to share, not knowing that the "perch jerker" has alterior motives. Learned long ago to only reveal small and some mid sized river successes with the chosen few. Having shown me the type of Steelheader that Gooose is and I he, we have mutually built a trust and frienship based solely on fishing because of our mutual perspectives about the sport.

FJ...out.

Fishing is my religion dammit!

#134289 - 01/10/02 04:51 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Sniggler Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia, WA
So I was meat fishing some nameless river.. Doing the gene pool a favor, killing brats.. had just landed a cromer buck and was gunna head back to the rig.. so I cleaned him on the bank.. then I rememberd the pack of Crackers that I had passed when I was walking up stream.. Being the smartass that I am.. I rigged up a Milt sack on my drift rig... walked back past them carring the Chromer.. of coarse I got the "Hey, what ya get him on??" so I held up my rod, Smiling and said "Milt.. only thing these zipperlips will take! But don't tell anyone.. not that many know about this little secret yet.."

I have never seen so many blank stares in all my LIFE!! I could barely keep a strait face!! I wonder if they ever tried it.... laugh

#134290 - 01/10/02 06:17 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: St. Helens, OR
When I was actually tournement fishing for bass, I was very secritive about what I was using. Because money and ego's were on the line. There used to be this one guy who would always snoop around my boat before and after tournements, especially if I weighed a nice bag of fish. One time he just flat out asked me "Whadjageddumon?"

I told him I was carolina rigging jitterbugs in 40' of water. (If you bass fish you would understand) He got pissed and called me a liar. I just laughed over that one.

That would be the equivelent of saying you were catching summer steelhead on a chartuese spinnerbait in 40' of water, under a float.

As far as steelhead and salmon fishing goes for me, I'll tell them what I'm using, But Never the ingredients to my bait cures or sauces.

Aaron

#134291 - 01/10/02 11:38 PM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

FJ
I'm near embarassed wink

BTW all e-mail friends I'm currently experiencing technical difficulties with new machine...I'm a computer cracker.

gooose laugh

#134292 - 01/11/02 12:17 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
thats a good one aaron.
tyler

#134293 - 01/11/02 01:05 AM Re: Hey, what'd you get 'im on?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dr Pepper
Yeah I did share that little secret but that was for Piggies....I'm a bit more secretive to people on the river when steelie season rolls around. Got no problem with offering up non river specific tackle methods for steelies....as there's a difference.

Gooose laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |