Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135159 - 01/15/02 02:43 AM Curado reels
slash Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver, WA
My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told her a Curado. The only problem is I'm not sure what model to tell her to get. Cabelas has 4 different models to choose from. What are the differences between the models? I would like to get one that I can use for both Salmon and Steelhead if that is possible. Thanks for any input you guys or gals give.

#135160 - 01/15/02 04:26 AM Re: Curado reels
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Get the Curado BSF. It's worth the extra $30 hands down. The number determines what hand you reel with. If you want to hold the rod with your right hand and reel with your left, get the 201 model.

#135161 - 01/15/02 05:05 AM Re: Curado reels
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
The Curado B5 model is a 5 to 1 retrieve ratio.Better suited for for bigger fish and heavier gear.Lower retrieve ratio is easier on the reel and less stress and strain to reel in.The standard Curado is the 6.2 to 1 retieve ratio.Great for pitchin and retieving all day and fast retrieves for thoses long float fishing drifts.The "200" or "201" denotes right or left hand retrive,personal preference there.As JF noted the BSF model is smoother than smooth.The only draw back is slightly less line capacity.Not much of a problem,really only noticable with the heavier line weights .15 and up.Even there you could go to braided line and get the amount you need. Hope this helps. smile

#135162 - 01/15/02 12:25 PM Re: Curado reels
slash Offline
Parr

Thanks for the info! I'll probably tell her to get the B5 model. I'm pretty new to Salmon/Steelhead fishing and I need all the line I can get laugh .

#135163 - 01/15/02 01:55 PM Re: Curado reels
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Hey Slash ... I like the faster retrieves myself. Less time reeling in and more time fishing smile You're usually using the reel to gather slack line after pumping the rod anyhow so you're usually not looking for cranking power as you would with huge reels for monster fish of some sort. Run the std. Curados as my boat reels and have very good luck with them. Can't go wrong either way, jusdt a matter of personal preference!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#135164 - 01/15/02 02:28 PM Re: Curado reels
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Unless you are planning on using the reel for throwing really light leads or for float fishing, I would stick with the standard Curado.

The BSF will cast a mile but because of the wiffle spool, water gets inside the reel very easily. And once the drag washers get wet, you are screwed and need to change them.

They are easy to change and the drag washers are cheap but it is still a pain in the ass.

#135165 - 01/15/02 06:49 PM Re: Curado reels
slash Offline
Parr

Thanks for all the input! Would the standard model be the B or B5 model?

#135166 - 01/15/02 10:43 PM Re: Curado reels
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
So Ryan-
I was seriously thinking about picking up the new curado bsf reel have you seen the drag washers fail prematurely on these reels? Ive heard nothing but very good things about them.
Just wondering.

#135167 - 01/15/02 10:47 PM Re: Curado reels
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I must say...I've literally sold hundreds (well maybe not hundreds, but damn close) of the BSF's in the past year and there has not been a large amount of complaints in regards to the BSF but there has been a higher rate then the normal Curado drag washer complaints.

If you are planning on using the reel for floatfishing where you want the line to spool off the reel is easily is possible or you are planning on fishing it in the summer when you maybe fishing the tiniest amounts of lead, then yeah, I'd go with the BSF. If not, stick with the standard Curado.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#135168 - 01/15/02 11:09 PM Re: Curado reels
jon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: auburn, wa
I really like my Curado CU 200. And I would highly recommend one. But after only one year of use I am having to replace the drag washer. I was fishing Blue Creek in high water not to long ago and found out the hard way what happens when you get the drag wet.I dunked the reel not once but twice into the river. Everyone is right, you can't get the Curado drags wet! I am ordering a new washer through "Smooth Drag" out of Calif.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1212 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |