LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135952 - 01/19/02 01:03 AM Spinning Combo Recomendations?
Carsonsig Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Sacramento, ca
OK
I cant cast a float and jig/worm for **** with my curado, so I am working on the wife to get a spinning setup.
I am in California, so we get 2-10 lb mostly hatchery, small runs smallish river
, and I bank fish.
I am looking at like a 8-9 ft rod, like a 2 piece, and a good reel. Not the best mind you.
anyone have a specific spinning reel they like for float drifting? I use 10 lbtest almost all the time, maybe 12 if am going someplace snaggy. what action is best for float fishing?
thanks allot!

#135953 - 01/19/02 01:50 AM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Not sure about a rod, still looking for a good spinning rod myself. I have the Shimano Symetre spinning reel and really like it.

#135954 - 01/19/02 02:52 AM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
C-sig, I use a G. Loomis imx 1082s 9'spin rod with the shimano stradic 2000. Its a nice light weight bobber & jig outfit. Bit pricey but sweet. Mostly fish with 8 or 10 lb. ultragreen, slide on one of those clear in-line bobber's and tie to your jig of choice.

#135956 - 01/19/02 09:46 AM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
i use a cabellas brand spinning reel on 10 ft loomis the cabellas high end reel is priced at brand names mid level prices it has worrked great for me

#135957 - 01/19/02 10:21 AM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
C-sig,
Do yourself a favor and get a 10.5ft rod.
For jig fishing it is the best length even on smaller rivers.
Pick any brand you like, but that extra foot and a half makes a big difference in being able to work the float.
cool

#135958 - 01/19/02 10:47 AM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Carsonsig:

1. 9 1/2 or 10 1/2 foot Shimano, GL Loomis, Lamiglas. Will work super for the rod, all are good. Shimano makes a very nice looking rod for the $70.00 price range.

2. Agree with most on the Shimano Spirex and Symetre. Have both, use both....like the Spirex better cause has double handles, and the "QuickFire" hands free casting. Nothing worse than to have to use "both hands" to flip open that bail to get ready to cast..."IF" you are the one also running the boat.

Casting reels just don't cut it in "jig and bobber" fishing. Did it for a while, like many others........glad I made the change.

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#135959 - 01/19/02 01:36 PM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Papafsh, I couldn't agree with you more!

FJ...out.

#135960 - 01/19/02 10:15 PM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Cabelas Fish Eagel II in a 9 or 10' ($80) version and an Okuma Epix 30 ($50), awesome set-up! Have you seen these rods, if not take a look! I just got my first 10' rod (a Fish Eagle) but I certainly might consider something shorter if fishing from shore alot. A longer rod altho nice for fishing floats will be much more problematic while maneuvering through the brush to that fav fishing spot. Have fun!

RM

#135961 - 01/20/02 01:23 AM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
THIS IS THE TICKET MY FRIEND...LISTEN UP!
I had the same problem. I purchased a shimano nine and one-half ft. Stimula spin rod rated 4-10 lb. for 60 bucks at sportco. Tremendous rod. A ton of backbone with excellent sensivity and the price is phenomenal. However, here's a trick that a guy taught me this year at the Hoh for casting bobber and jig EASILY with a baitcaster. Get a cork bobber (the ones with the hollow center). Slip your mainline through the bobber and stuff a one inch piece of 1/4" solid core lead inside the bobber. Makes casting a breeze and backlash free. Attach a barel swivel below the bobber and 4 ft. of flourocarbon and BAM, you're ready to bobber fish with a baitcaster. The lead in the bobber sits tight against your line but you can still adjust it to the necessary height by sliding it up or down. NO NEED TO GET A SPIN REEL. The weight in the bobber is all you need for trouble free casting. GOOD LUCK. Let me know if this makes sense. If not, I'll try a little harder to explain it.

#135962 - 01/20/02 02:15 AM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Loomis 1263 with a 2000 spirex works for me. smile TM

#135963 - 01/20/02 12:21 PM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
barracuda Offline
Alevin

Loc: vancouver wa. u.s.a.
Have you tried the fishing equipment classifieds here at Piscatorial Pursuits?

#135964 - 01/20/02 12:43 PM Re: Spinning Combo Recomendations?
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Spirex is a good reel,but make damn sure that its back against the stops after a cast.If not everytime you set the hook the slack in it will let it slam against the stops.Eventually causing it to freeze up.I know I've had it happen to me,and seen it happen to others.Sucks when you have that fish of a lifetime on.Go with the Symetre,or what I think is a better deal yet.The Sahara,59$,plus it comes with a spare aluminum spool.Another good reel that I used extensively this year and am extremely happy with,is the Fin Nor finite 402.Very comparable to the Shimanos.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cfinlip, Fishbait, gkohler
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 420 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |