Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135817 - 01/18/02 01:31 AM sluggo vs. worm
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
went to sportco today and purchased some bubblegum pink sluggos. there were no other soft plastics in light pink so i decided to give them a try. think this is a bad idea(or possibly great)? i've got a few rigged up and am going to try them on the nooch this weekend. any results on drifting the pink worm?? ps also tied some matching baby pink yarn to the hooks to hold scent. hope to get slammed!!

#135818 - 01/18/02 11:41 AM Re: sluggo vs. worm
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: St. Helens, OR
I have a lot of experiance bass fishing with sluggos. I've never tried them on steelhead thought. One thing you will notice is that a sluggo is a lot heavier and denser than a worm. So, you don't need wieght added to cast it. Try fishing them w/o a weight. When twitched w/o wieght they have a killer action. I may have to get some of these to try myself. In slower holding water I can definitly see casting upstream to let it sink down a foot or two and letting it swing down and below you w/o wieght. With the tension of the current on the line the bait should have an awesome action. One thing to add w/sluggos..... Use a swivel above the sluggo. They will twist the snot out of your line. Please post back if they work.

Almost forgot...They've obviously got a bigger profile, they should work better than worms in off colored water.

Aaron

#135819 - 01/18/02 12:14 PM Re: sluggo vs. worm
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Shhh....killer on a jighead.

#135820 - 01/18/02 03:51 PM Re: sluggo vs. worm
Net_Boy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett,WA,USA
I've seen those slugs and wondered if they'd work. I'll have to give 'em a try.

#135821 - 01/18/02 05:19 PM Re: sluggo vs. worm
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Sluggos have incredible action. Your post got me to thinking.. They ought to work killer for some of our more aggressive strains of coho. They are in bright coloes a very invasive in your face kinda lure. Although to impart the action you might be accused of snagging i would think Coho would rip them up.

#135822 - 01/18/02 05:37 PM Re: sluggo vs. worm
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Sluggo's do work great for coho. I've never tried them in fresh water, but at Sekiu and Neah bay, THEY RULE! smile

#135823 - 01/18/02 11:25 PM Re: sluggo vs. worm
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Rob-
Now how the Hell would you know how a sluggo fishes!?!? confused wink

#135824 - 01/18/02 11:42 PM Re: sluggo vs. worm
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Does Berkeley Powerbait have a website?

Matt

#135825 - 01/19/02 12:29 AM Re: sluggo vs. worm
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Ryan during the 1990's our rivers were pittiful for steelhead fishing so I pretty much gave it up except for ocassional trips to the Klick or the Deschutes. So I took up bass fishing I am not that great at fishing sluggo's but I can flip and pitch a 1/2oz black and blue rattle back jig with a #11 black and blue pork frog trailer into any tight little spot you can imagine. My best largemouth came out is Silver lake in Cowlitz county almost 9lbs caucht it in October on the previously mentioned Jig -n- Pig. heck I caught a 7lber out of dumpy old lacamas lake last spring. I even fished a tournament once. Imagine being in a sparkly red boat going 60mph up the columbia at 6AM with dense fog and the guy driving the boat looks at you and says " watch for logs"

#135826 - 01/19/02 12:50 AM Re: sluggo vs. worm
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Rob-
I'll never look at 'ya the same again. wink
That is actually quite intresting to be honest...

#135827 - 01/19/02 10:47 AM Re: sluggo vs. worm
rc Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA
Hey Matt. Go to www.google.com and type in Berkley Powerbait. Hit search and it will give you the address for Berkley's website and other sites that carry Berkley Powerbait products. I hope this helps.

Ron

#135828 - 01/21/02 10:58 AM Re: sluggo vs. worm
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey Rob,

I've got one of them "sparkley" boats. smile Never hit a log though (knock on wood). Actually, bass fishing and tournements have done a world good for my steelhead and salmon fishing. It teaches you to adapt, and catch fish under any condition.

Oh yeah, guess what cast I was using for steelhead in a small river this weekend?--- A pitch cast. Works great in small water with light baits. You don't have to look behind you for brush either.

People usualy give me a hard time about being a bass guy, but it really has rounded out my fishing skills. Plus, who wouldn't like to go screaming down the river at 60Mph?

Aaron

#135829 - 01/21/02 12:03 PM Re: sluggo vs. worm
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Jellyhead

The tournament I fished was out of scapoose bay ohhhh probably 6-7 years ago with the Oregon Hawg Hunters. I was dissapointed with how unadaptable that these guys were, at least the guys I was partnered with. The guy I was with the first day ran us all the way op to oaks park to fish a big sand flat on which nothing was happening, which is all fine and good but he really had no back-up plan. We spent the rest of the day chasing our tails. Personally i'd have found a section of rip-rap and at least come home with a limit. But I suppose when I have a boat I can make the decisions.

I have spent the last 3 summers in Montana and got to know quite a few guides there. One of the guides has some bass guys as clients ever year they float down the river like everyone else but instead of fly fishing they are pitching spinners at the banks, they can get to places the fly fishermen only dream of. they catch 100+ fish a day and a lot of them are big fish. They also practice the same catch and release methods as everyone else.

If you ever find yourself without a fishing partner I'd meet you at the Silver lake boat ramp that lake is flippin heaven. And to stay on topic sluggo's work there too.

#135830 - 01/21/02 04:16 PM Re: sluggo vs. worm
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I'd like to fish silver, I've driven by it quite a few times, but never fished. I'll give you a shout later this spring. I love pitching.

Aaron

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |