Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137746 - 01/28/02 02:08 PM Email Virus Warning
Happy Birthday The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Just to let you all know there's another real mean and fast-spreading email virus out and about now.

If you receive an email with the subject of, "new photos from my party!" just do every one a favor and delete that email ASAP. This email comes with a virus email attachment that is disguised as a web site URL.

Information on the virus can be found at:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99332.htm

Here's my Tip Of The Day. Follow this tip and you'll be OK.

"NEVER open an email attachment that you did not specifically request."

It's really just that easy.

Parker

#137747 - 01/28/02 02:13 PM Re: Email Virus Warning
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
I heard about this party, Parker. Also saw the pictures. No wonder you want people to delete them as soon as they get them.

You were easy to pick out, but whose emu was that?

#137748 - 01/28/02 07:32 PM Re: Email Virus Warning
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
I got that e-mail today from Willie Boat's. Thanks to your post I had updated my virus protection and when it showed up I deleted it. I would guess that anybody that has corresponded to Willie boats will get an e-mail. Thanks Parker for the warning.

#137749 - 01/28/02 10:00 PM Re: Email Virus Warning
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I got it 3 times today and got lucky and deleted them without reading them. I don't know why my Norton V.P. didn't catch it.

Thank you,

fp

#137750 - 01/28/02 10:30 PM Re: Email Virus Warning
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

When was the last time you updated your Norton AV software, fp? If you haven't updated it in the last 72 hours then it's not going to catch this new virus.

Which is why I urge everyone to update weekly, preferably nightly while you're online.

#137751 - 01/29/02 11:33 AM Re: Email Virus Warning
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
##it!!! I got one from Willie boats last night and figured it was another one of Willy's jokes. What does it do?

#137752 - 01/29/02 01:15 PM Re: Email Virus Warning
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Without getting to nerdy about specifics, it creates files on your hard drive that are used to mail copies of the email to everyone in your email address book, as well as any other email addresses that it finds in your inbox and other email boxes.

Also, if you have Windows NT/2000/XP it will install a backdoor in your computer so that hackers can remotely control your computer.

I may sound like a broken record here, but BUY virus protection software and UPDATE it daily. And also what Parker said. If you didn't ask someone to send the attachment, at the very least verify with the sender that they intended to send it and, better, just delete it without asking.

There are a number of people out there who find it necessary to forward and reforward jokes attachments all over the place, presumably because they are not funny on their own. It is folks like these that make viruses like this so successful. People get used to getting frivolous attachments from these people, and what's even better is that these people usually have extensive address books for the virus to work off of.

.end of rant.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 20 Gage), 1325 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |