Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141843 - 02/21/02 10:49 AM Drift boat etiquette
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
I have not seen alot of conversation regarding etiquette while floating rivers. I would like to start a thread that addresses this. A great way to begin the discussion might be to answer the following questions:

1. While floating, what are three most annoying ways other boats breach drifting etiquette??

2. As a bankie, what three things do driftboats do that make your blood boil??

Also, are there any good books on this subject?? The one thing I have learned about books on driftboating is that every author and every Captain have different theories on both piloting the boat and the proper etiquette while drifting. Open discussion of the subject will at least help us determine consensus....

P.S. If someone says something ignorant or stupid or both can we just ignore them?? I would prefer this post to be flame free...

Thanks in advance,

Stlhdh2o

#141844 - 02/21/02 11:00 AM Re: Drift boat etiquette
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

There has already been a lot of discussion on this subject here. But, I think to answer both of your questions quickly and easily, people just need to use common sense....
Which really doesn't seem to be that common anymore confused

Whatever position you are in, whether it is a bankie or boater. Just try to treat the other person the way you think you would like them to treat you. A little politeness and respect can go a long way wink

Tight lines!

#141845 - 02/21/02 11:17 AM Re: Drift boat etiquette
h2o Offline
Carcass

I am sure there has been a lot of discussion on this topic, I am just unfortunate enough not to have seen it...

I think its important to have a standard, a specific standard, where the different interpretations of what common sense is come together. Sadly, if sense were common, we would all know just exactly what to do in every situation.

#141846 - 02/21/02 12:14 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
"I think its important to have a standard, a specific standard, where the different interpretations of what common sense is come together."

There is a never-fail standard, a very specific standard. It was laid down by a very smart guy a long time ago....."Treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated."

If you are a bankie, think like a driftboat or sled operator and treat those folks accordingly.

If you are ooperating a boat, think like bankies and treat them accordingly.

Never fails.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#141847 - 02/21/02 12:19 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Some basic rules that everyone, boater or bankie, should follow are these.

1. Don't fish through someone elses water. If you are in a boat, reel in as you pass a bankie. Don't pull plugs through someone elses drift water. Anchor up, cast, and wait. Most folks move on in a few minutes.

2. Boaters should be courteous and not go through a bankies water while they are fishing it, wait till they reel in.

3. Bankies should reel in and hold their cast for the 20 seconds or so it takes a DB/sled to pass.

4. Communicate on where the boat should travel. Most oftem it is close to the bankie so the boat doesn't move the fish.

5. Bankies should not automatically sling lead at any boat passing through.

I have drifted on a few rivers, actually only 7 times in my life, and have seen rude people a number of times who think they are much too important to be a good guy. Just be patient.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#141848 - 02/21/02 01:30 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
PFunk Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue,Wa,USA
Don't have a lot of experience in a driftboat to provide drift boat etiquette but I know good etiquette when I see it...

We were fishing the OP two weeks ago with a local guide up on the upper Sol Duc. We came apon a flyfisherman rigging up on a gravel bar. The hole looked perfect. Our guide asked the fisherman if he wanted us on the inside or out,we took the outside. I asked him about this and his thoughts were that this fisherman probably traveled a long way looking for some peace,solitude and a perfect fishing hole. There was plenty of water for everybody and no reason to ruin someone's day by being inconsiderate. Our guide also showed us good etiquette when he asked to reel up as we went around several bankies. I think they appreciated that.

I'm learning alot from one of best OP guides and hope that we can see more of that etiquette out on the rivers if not on this BB. laugh laugh PFunk

#141849 - 02/21/02 02:05 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
h2o Offline
Carcass

I have been drifting for 5 years and feel that I have excellent etiquette, I don't however wish to become complacent so it is always good to get input from others...

I have some difficulty using the common sense theory and here is an example of why...

While floating an extremely crowded river several weeks ago I asked every bankie we passed where they would like me to pass, each had a different idea of what they thought was best. If a bankie has never floated how could we expect them to be able to put themselves in the position of the driftboat captain?? If a Captain hasn't bankfished in ten years is it really appropriate to expect them to understand the concerns of the bankie?? I would say no on both counts, which is why I ask almost every time....

Here is another scenario: Small river, a boat in the hole below me is pulling, and I need the space he is occupying to safely navigate on through...do I wait until he fishes the hole out?? Do I speak up?? Personally, I don't want people talking to me or distracting me while I have the boat in position...

These are the kinds of things I wanted to discuss, they do not necessarily involve 'common sense'....

#141850 - 02/21/02 02:27 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
H2O,
Do you have a green and grey alumiweld with a electronic motor on the back? If so I know who you are and you are a very curtiuos and friendly fisherman. I think I saw you on that crowded river a couple weeks ago. My boat had a good day laugh

#141851 - 02/21/02 02:39 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
When I am coming up on some bankies I generally like to watch what part of the river they seem to be concentrating on and go the opposite way. If they are fishing the middle of the river out, I will come in close to them and just the opposite if they are fishing middle in. So far this has worked for me this year, almost everytime I come inside and stay away from there water and have been thanked numerous times this year for doing so.
As far as with other boats, my opinion is that if a boat was in the hole a head of you then they have the right to fish it as long as they want. I will either fish the upper end of the hole and wait for them or I will go on by and skirt the outside to stay away from the water they are trying to fish. I do think though that once they have gone trough to the bottom they should let the next boat have a shot at the water, take as much time as you feel you need to fish it effectively though. If it is a crowded day,then move on down river. If there aren't a lot of boats on the water row back to the top and wait your turn. Just dont row back over the holding water. I saw a very impatient boat on Monday move in on top of a guy who was slowly pulling plugs back through a hole, this boat moved down and covered almost 200 yards of this hole in a matter of minutes passing the first boat within feet of it then moving directly below him by about 20 feet, right on top of where he was fishing and proceeded to zig zag across the entire river and spook all the fish out of the hole. One of the ruder things I had seen this year. Just be courteous and like the old saying goes treat others like you would like to be treated.

#141852 - 02/21/02 02:44 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
h2o Offline
Carcass

Thanks puller, that is not my boat but I was at the helm that day. How the heck did you guess who I was?? Its actually my buddie's boat...mine is about thirty years older than his and doesn't come with electric oars!!

I find this conversation necessary for the very reason you just mentioned, you thought I was courteous and others that day were sure I ruined their whole day.

How does the appropriate etiquette change as the river becomes crowded?? Am I wrong to be perturbed when a sled buzzes me or should I just learn to live with it??

#141853 - 02/21/02 07:44 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I witnessed a most pleasing display of courtesy last Sunday out on the OP. No looks...everyone conversed in a positive manner during close encounters...many were willing to share upriver experiences...no boat racing...no low holing...even got unsolicited helping hand at the pullout. It sure made for a pleasant day...and I wasn't asked once where I was from...had I been asked naturally my response would have been Nielton laugh

FJ...out.

#141854 - 02/21/02 11:57 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Gotta love the porta potty at the Neilton store!

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#141855 - 02/22/02 07:48 AM Re: Drift boat etiquette
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I have had nothing but good experiences ,as a banky with drift boats on the Sol Duc.I have even had a couple of guys pick me up in there boat,to give me a hand with a stubborn king.As a bankie on the sol duc I either am fishing down low or up above.Down low the boats usually don't reach me untill mid mornig so if it is a guide I usually take a break and let them at it.
When I am up above I usually get a look like What the hell are you doing here and off they go but I do not see to many boats up there realy.I think it has to do with that big drop after bear creek!
I figure I am visiting and most of the guides live there localy,so I give them as much room as they are willing to take and usually they just move on anyways.A recreational boater I usualy just sit down and say hello and let them move on.
I have only had a guy fish threw the my water once and I got a nice silver right of his stern so it was all funny anyways.
I think the sol duc weeds out some of the crowd so there is a little more respect for other fishermen then compared to the hoh or the bogy.

#141856 - 02/22/02 08:58 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
i fish mostly small streams but when im on the sky if a boats coming thru i just reel up and let em fish on thru i dont mind sharing a spot and 99% of the boaters and bankers are very cool your always gonna find the other 1% also but its like water on a ducks arse to me, heck i hardly care if i get a feesh anymore i fish to relax...
so if ya see me fish thru and say hello
mike

#141857 - 02/24/02 10:40 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
h2o Offline
Carcass

So exactly how do you define 'boat racing'??

If some one puts in before me, he runs down to the second hole and I run down to fourth, am I racing him or just trying to find a good piece of firstwater?? Should I just fish my entire day behind him or is there an acceptable passing etiquette I haven't figured out yet?

Some guys don't like it if, while they are holding in a hole, you fish spinners through the tailout as you drift by...what do you think? Is that just another kind of 'lowholing'??

#141858 - 02/24/02 10:43 PM Re: Drift boat etiquette
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Just for your sensitive, less than manly needs here goes...

From an elitist a**'s point of view naturally...

BOAT RACING<<<< The boat BELOW you never lets you get close enough to get by for a little first water...you must really hate that guy?????

LOW HOLING>>>> when plugging through a slot and have sleds recast their boonin rigs just below and continue on...like them to?

Try not to get all caught up reading between the lines their stlh2o...your not a mind reader...nor are you able to determine what kind of man I am from reading a few posts that don't fit your fancy.

FJ...out.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1412 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |