Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142239 - 02/23/02 12:16 PM need advice on drifting the upper solduc
iamatworkhonest Offline
Parr

Loc: tumH20 wa usa
Off to drift the upper solduc. Never done it before. What do I need to know? Where is the the best put in and take out...so on

#142240 - 02/23/02 12:51 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
fishermanonabike Offline
Parr

Loc: olympia
first off are you a good oarsmen?? that is a hairy drift and you can easily get in trouble

#142241 - 02/23/02 12:59 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
If you are going to do Riverside or the Bearcreek run (the two top drifts before the closed water)you should make arrangements to follow someone that knows the drifts. Both are very challenging, and shouldn't be attempted unless you are extremely good on the sticks. If you are familiar with the middle/lower end of the 'Duc the upper stuff makes the "double rapid" and the drops above Luyendekers look like a cake walk....but, I have to admit Riverside and Bearcreek are my favorite floats as long as I'm with a guide.....otherwise they are too much work/stress.
Riverside - put in off the ledge up the road on the opposite side of the river from Klahowya campground (float under the bridge before you fish) take out at the paved road (I forget the name) a few miles above Bear Creek Cafe. That is also the put-in for the Bearcreek float. The take-out for the Bearcreek float is the salmon hatchery.
Good Luck.

#142242 - 02/23/02 01:39 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
steelhd101 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA.
I would be most comfortable sitting in the front seat of a guides boat. Good Luck.

#142243 - 02/23/02 04:02 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Maybe we'll find a boat up there soon! Don't be stupid! rolleyes I could see floating hatchery down blind, I did, but above there is just not smart. You don't even know where to put in and you want to float it huh? By the way you can put in below riverside rd for the upper drift too.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#142244 - 02/23/02 05:21 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Old Dory Offline
Alevin

Loc: Poulsbo Wa
On floating the upper Duc Riverside to Hilstrom. It would be wise to float with an experienced guide or Oarsman. Riverside to Hilstrom has 4 pretty hairy rapids, if the river is up 8 boards+ the river is not as technical. However when the river drops below these levels BEWARE!! exposed rocks in the chutes can ruin your day and your boat. the first couple miles of the float are quite easy IE boulder picking, shallow riffles. further down the way you come to the first technical spot we call Blind Rapid. you cannot see around the Blind rapid, the river looks as though it could possibly flow to the right, but it dives into a sharp bend on the Left. Stay left at the top of this rapid so you can skirt the boat eating rocks at the bottom. This rapid should not be overlooked!! one missed stroke and you could end up in the drink.. The next few rapids are further down the way, most of them you enter from center to right side, and exiting from right to center. I would go fairly light for your first couple times, as the rapids really vary at different water levels. Make sure that you have a spare oar, a throw bag, and life jackets. Over 15 yrs of fishing this stretch I have broken 2 cataracts just the tips, this is when the water is below 5 boards. Make sure your spare oar is ready, not stowed under the seet. as for the Bear Creek drift, Dont do it unless you feel really good about your skills, 12 + technical drops in this one, good luck be carefull, and when you here the river roar and your heart starts pumpin thats a good thing, dont ignore keep your eyes down river and your head on a swivel, keep the boat under your shoulders. Hold on be safe and have fun Oh by the way dont miss the takeout at Hilstrom or you could be in over your head.

#142245 - 02/23/02 05:40 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
This thread is looking a lot like one posted by stlhd2o last week. Next imatworkhonest is going to come on here and answer everyones post with "why you all doubting my rowing abilities" I'm a 20 year vet...blah blah blah.

Look at the freakin rating for the stretch your hitting and go from there.

Myself, I would go with anyone that rows it every day.
Once or never, I don't think so!

FJ...out.

#142246 - 02/23/02 06:14 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
i lived in forks for 2 years and the upper duc is no picnic.i suggest 2guys take $300.00(a lot cheaper than a boat or worse) for a good guide.sit in the front and enjoy a days fishin,no stress,no decisions.next time you can take your boat and know exactly where to go. wink scott

#142247 - 02/23/02 09:30 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
1. wear a life vest and helmet
2. make sure your life ins. premiums are current.
3. take clean underwear.
4. tell your 'significant other' you love her, before the drift.
5. put name and ph # on valuables that may be lost overboard.
6. put cell phone in waterproof container and attach it to a body part.
7. try to have some fun, between rapids!
8. try to follow someone experienced and do what they do.......

Good luck ----

#142248 - 02/23/02 10:41 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

PERIWINKLE THAT WAS FUNNY!!! laugh laugh laugh IAM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF HEHEHHE

- Albert Einstein.

#142249 - 02/24/02 10:17 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
There were two main positions on my thread...

The first is that we are puny men, we are not manly men such as the mighty Fish Jesus, therefore should not even attempt such a foolhardy and death defying stunt. Only those that have lived there their whole lives can show us the magic passageway.....

The other camp seemed to suggest that the two lowermost floats were definitey the way to go if you were going to do the Sol Duc your first time. There are several Class II sections on both floats so it is imperative that you wear PFD's, at least while negotiating the class II water. I will also carry a throw line and my passenger will be a certified rescue swimmer. If you have alot of expensive gear I recommend getting some insurance...

I still haven't been able to do either float although with a little luck and some cooler weather next weekend might be a good opportunity...

Hey Fish Jesus,

Here's a challenge for you: Why don't you try to find a way of posting that, when you disagree or think someone is wrong, doesn't make you look like such an elitist a**???

#142250 - 02/24/02 11:28 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont attempt Bear creek till you have been down it 12 times with someone else rideing in the front seat. After those 12 times you row ONLY IF YOU ARE GOOD while your budy who is an expert on that run tells you where to go. After that follow him down a few times. Then and only then are you ready to attempt it on your own.

You cannot do Bear Creek blind no matter how good you are. There are some tricks that you have to know.

#142251 - 02/25/02 11:57 AM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
He diddent say if he was doing it in a driftboat! I do it in my Super Puma all the time but wouldent chance the Willie yet! Itd be some spooky doo doo in a metal boat. Youll know were to go though. Theres a aluminum trail on the rocks all the way down.

Bob D

#142252 - 02/25/02 01:03 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
h20,

I think FJ is saying it doesn't matter how good you are on the oars.......if you pick the wrong route, you're going to pay for it. Once you've been down it, then the story changes a little. Maybe you haven't seen the pics of sunken boats or read about the dead anglers over the last few weeks, but trying the upper Sol Duc having never seen it before is begging to be the next misfortunate one.

Do yourself a favor.........don't do the upper Duc until you know what you're facing. At least then, you'll know whether your rowing skills are up to the task.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#142253 - 02/25/02 01:26 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
h2o Offline
Carcass

Thanks Dan...

If you reread my previous post (first time on the Duc etc...)in conjunction with what I have posted here, don't you guys get that I too am not a fool and wouldn't run Bear Creek or any of the upper floats in a driftboat without, at the very least, running it several times in either a pontoon boat or with an oarsmen experienced on those particular drifts??

My post wasn't "hey I an going to run bear creek" it was "hey, help me choose the right float"...There is a huge difference...

The really good news is that there are enough people out there who took what I stated about my abilities on the oars at face value and were willing to give the proper advice which, I think I encapsulated quite well above.

Sick and tired of watching people with less ability to control their boat float by me every year in the Bark hole and then having guys like Fish Jesus advise me that I am not up to the task. I'd give what he said more weight if he had mentioned that the lower floats are easier than the upper floats, the fact that he didn't indicates to me that he is more concerned about keeping another boat off his river than about the safety of myself or my passengers.

#142254 - 02/25/02 01:49 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steelheader2O,

Here's the ranking of the Sol Duc floats in dificulty. This ranking has been given to me by the experts and i have been a passanger on all of them many times. Im going to go hardest to easiest.

Im not an expert but here are the levels I and the guys I fish with think each drift fishes and runs the best at.

1. Bear Creek, 8 to 12 bricks.
2. Lower End Rayonier to Lyndecker 7 to 9 bricks
3. Hatchery, 5 to 9 bricks
4. Riverside, 7 to 9 bricks
5. middle run Whitcom Dimmel to Rayonier from, 4 to 9 bricks.
6. Maxfield to Whitcom Dimmel, 8 to 12 bricks

8 bricks is the lowest I would float any of the runs if it is one of your first times floating the river.

Even the easy ones are not easy they all have their hard spots. The easiest ones are the ones that eat the most boats every year. All the Gapers think since they did the Bogie or Hoh last month that they can tackle the Duc.

#142255 - 02/25/02 02:17 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
h2o Offline
Carcass

Thanks Rich...

This is looking alot more like what I was asking for on my thread.

Its obvious to me from the varying opinions given about the difficulty of the lower float that it varies greatly according to water level.

I will take all of these things into consideration before I decide which float to take, I hope Iamatworkhonest will do the same...

Also, the river is measured in 'boards'; as observed where??

#142256 - 02/25/02 05:46 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Boards are measured at the Maxfield ramp between Iverson and salmon drive on 101! The nuber is painted on the corrosponding board. Its the hatchery run take out. What some people will do at different levels is not what others will do! I would say start at 10 boards and see what ya think. Dont fill your boat with people and weight and check out the splits real good before deciding on which way to go!

Good luck

Bob D

#142257 - 02/25/02 05:52 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Thanks Rich!
I have been hoping someone would sum things up like that for a long time!

#142258 - 02/25/02 08:06 PM Re: need advice on drifting the upper solduc
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Seems we complain about how crowded the rivers are--so I say float it and take a couple other guys with you. This should help thin things out a bit, eh.

wink

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 794 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |