Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144972 - 03/12/02 09:37 PM Bluewater thriller
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
Just back this weekend from a full week of 90 degree weather and loads of fish.Will someone please tell me why I came home? Oh, thats right I have a business to run! Damn just when things were starting to heat up. Anyways, thought some of you might like to hear about fishing in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. My wife and I thought we'd bring her brother down to show him a good time and prove once and for all we're not lying about the great fishing. We fished three days for big game bringing eight sailfish to the boat over 100# (two on a fly) with numerous other hookups,several tuna,dorado,mackeral,jack crevalle,etc...But for me the biggest thrill of all was finally(after approx.25 trips)catching a large rainbow runner on my spinning outfit! I have been after these little devils for quite a few years with no success,and to finally catch a couple was an absolute thrill! Not that they are the strongest fish in the sea or the toughest battle,just that it was one fish I have always wanted to catch.Not to mention they are incredible tablefare!If anyone would like more info on this beautiful area of Mexico drop me an e-mail or give a call at 206-2426347 and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.Addios amigos!

#144973 - 03/13/02 02:35 AM Re: Bluewater thriller
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Sounds like a great trip ! I am very jealous of the great weather. Call me stupid , but what the hell is a "rainbow runner " ? confused confused confused

#144974 - 03/13/02 05:55 AM Re: Bluewater thriller
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
Ixtapa is great. Last time I went there the trip ended on can you spell ... "Diarrhea" so it is off my list for at least a few years but fishing was good. Any Marlins this time of year?

#144975 - 03/13/02 08:09 AM Re: Bluewater thriller
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
My better half has been trying to talk me into xtpa for a couple years now.She just wants to go to mexico and figures that xtapa being a fishing local would get me interested.I would love to talk at you !Email me with a good time to call! smile

#144976 - 03/13/02 11:24 AM Re: Bluewater thriller
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Oooftah. That brings back some memories. Spent part of my honeymoon down there a few years back and nearly stayed. After recently hearing that Owen's might be for sale we really thought about heading south. One of my favorite places. Love Zihua. You weren't fishing with Stan Lushinsky and Susan Richards outfit were you? Good folks.

And what is a rainbow runner? You talking about roosterfish?

Bruce

#144977 - 03/13/02 11:29 AM Re: Bluewater thriller
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
any mako sharks?

#144978 - 03/13/02 05:15 PM Re: Bluewater thriller
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
there is a good article about Ixtapa & Zihuatanejo in the March issue of Saltwater Sportsman. it sounds like a great spot for a fishing vacation!!

#144979 - 03/13/02 05:23 PM Re: Bluewater thriller
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
Zihuatanejo
I'm heading there as soon as I can get out of this friggin' cell here at Shawshank. laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#144980 - 03/13/02 08:59 PM Re: Bluewater thriller
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey guys,sorry to keep you waiting for a response but have been extremely busy.Ltlcleo I will try to get back to you some time this evening with the e-mail.B-Gray, No we were not fishing with your friends Stan and Susan I have fished with the same Capt. for over ten years going down there(Hippolito Hernandez)in fact I had to teach him the bait and switch tactics for flyfishing sailfish.I then gave him a 12wt. and systems2 reel so he could practice with other clients while I come back to make enough money to do it all over again. He has gotten quite proficient over the years. Rockfish no mako sharks this time out but if your looking to catch makos(on regular basis) my advice is to head to another one of my favorite haunts Treasure Cay, Abaaco Is. in the Bahamas. And the final ? was did I get any marlin? Unfortunately , no we did not even get a shot at one although there were a few around the best three months are coming up now(Apr.-June). Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo is O.K. for blues and blacks but for sheer numbers head to Cabo San Lucas where you'll almost always get a shot at a couple stripes each day.

#144981 - 03/13/02 09:14 PM Re: Bluewater thriller
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Oh! Sorry B-Gray you asked what is a rainbow runner? Well, the best way I could describe it is a tropical steelhead that has been doing the nasty with a tuna.They are species of fish that is alone in it's genus(I think)but are long,strong, and slender like a steely but with a forked tail like a tuna.Also very colorful like some kinda fish you'd see in a tropical fish tank. The local mexicans call them Salerma.Hope this answers your question as it is a hard fish to describe.

#144982 - 03/13/02 10:10 PM Re: Bluewater thriller
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Sid, don't want to insult your saltwater fish identification, but could your rainbow runner or whatever just be a small sized Wahoo?? I got one out of Cabo in Dec. about 45 lbs. It's looong fish for it's weight, mostly different shades of blue from irridescent to very dark/black.....c/22

#144983 - 03/13/02 10:39 PM Re: Bluewater thriller
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Chrome/22-No insult taken.But a rainbow runner is a fish of its own specie. I've caught wahoo up to 70#!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |