Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145147 - 03/14/02 12:39 AM Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
I know that with all the knowledge on this board that I can get some good insight into this.Any thoughts, suggestion, ideas, or facts would be greatly appreciated.I'm curious about using scents and baitwraps on kwikfish for springers.
A lot of you guys have a lot of experience with this stuff.Hopefully you wont mind sharing that knowledge, and any other ideas you may have on the subject.
I am a firm believer in using different scents just about any way I fish.Whether its with natural baits, or hardware, or what have you.
Why wont an artificial scent on a kwikfish work just as good as a bait wrap?Are artificial scents just different enough from the natural bait wrap to make a difference?
How about in conjunction with a bait wrap. Or is a bait wrap better left to work by itself.
What about mixing scents? Like herring and sardine for example?
Thanks in advance
HntnFsh

#145148 - 03/14/02 01:41 AM Re: Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
A good oily sardine wrap on a kwikfish will "milk out" scent for quite a while. Tiny particles of the sardine fillet including natural oils will be washing off and dispersing in the water as the Kwikie wiggles and waggles away. You can get similar effects from bait butter and jelly or paste scents, however, I am a firm believer that there is nothing better than a real deal piece of meat wrapped onto a Kwikie. Sardines are super oily baits and don't need scent added until they start to turn white or "wash out". If the bite gets hot and I don't have time to re-wrap Kwikies with washed out fillets, then I will spice up the fillet with gel scent or bait oils.

Although the scent of the sardine wrap alone will work well on agressive salmon most of the time, there will be other times that fish go off the bite and you will want to add additional scents to help trigger stikes. If you are fishing with friends and running two or three rods, try putting a different scent on each different plug until you find one that works. Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment.

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#145149 - 03/14/02 12:20 PM Re: Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
I watched one Alaska guide refresh his quickfish wrap by saving the sardine carcass and rubbing thye guts against the wrapped fillet anytime the plug was brought out of the water. Seemed like a pretty good tip.

#145150 - 03/14/02 07:49 PM Re: Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
River Rat Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa. Perice
How do you wrap yours on top or between the hooks.Meat side out or in

#145151 - 03/14/02 08:43 PM Re: Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
JeepMcMuddy Offline
Fry

Loc: Vancouver, Wa
One real Plus for using bait wraps is that a salmon "Mouthing" your plug will more likely hang on once his tounge hits that meat wrap. Thats why the wrap is on the bottom, right in the tounge-zone. Those extra seconds could mean the difference of a punched tag or not. But what I like to do is use Smelt (You did go fill your freezer didnt you?)wraps and then scent them with either herring or anchovy oil. The meat really soaks up that stuff.

#145152 - 03/14/02 08:46 PM Re: Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
JeepMcMuddy Offline
Fry

Loc: Vancouver, Wa
R.R. Check this link out for "how-to" wrap a kwikfish. Wrapping a KwikFish

This site has it all. wink

#145153 - 03/14/02 08:51 PM Re: Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
For those of you experienced King fishermen, how necessary is the wrap? (I know quite a bit about steelhead, next to nothing about chinook). I never put scent on my steelhead lures/flies and I catch plenty of fish. I've had descent luck with coho too. How likely is it that an otherwise good fisherman could do well on Kings without a wrap on his/her Kwikfish?

#145154 - 03/14/02 09:04 PM Re: Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
Coot22 Offline
Alevin

Loc: P-Town, OR
WC,

I have always been under the impression that it never hurts to put scent on hardware. It may not help but it sure doesn't hurt. However, I have found that Kwikfish, specifically, if you put a sardine wrap on it, it improves your chances greatly! Scent on spinners or wobblers, really dont make that much of a difference...IMO. My two cents...

-Coot

#145155 - 03/15/02 12:57 AM Re: Input Please,Scents, and, or, vs,bait wraps
Wernergonefishin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis Wa
When ever I handle a lure I figure its going to stink like me so I always put a little sent on my hands so when i handle my gear no human scent. Human scent is one of the worst for nagitive smells a fish can get. One of the oldtimers that taught me to run flatfish for steelhead always wore a pair of light cotton gloves with a little wd40 on them . He always took a fish or two even when it was slow.I use shrimp oil for every species I believe its good natural cover scent. Just my 2cents

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |