LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147417 - 04/01/02 05:55 AM This could change your life for the better! (nfr)
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is my own written piece, based on my own research and personal experience with it, to share with anyone who might benefit from it. ~~~

I've shared some useful info on here about fishing. Now I want to share something much more important. Ya, I do care. But for this genuine information, I must say to investigate what's here, and only procede with caution at your own risk and with your doctor's advise. ~~~

For the last several years I've studied much of the latest research and test results of things that can both ward off and help recover from the physical and mental challenges of sports and middle age related arthritis. (btw, I don't sell anything related to what I've learned by study and first hand results with my own mind and body - this is credible stuff!). ... I'm ready for some comeback jokes though wink . But this is not a joke.

Most of you have heard of what important positive benefits everyone can get from a heathly well rounded diet in addition to regular exercise. We all know that. Some just don't know HOW important the execise part of it is! If you don't exercise regularly you simply won't be very healthy as you age. It's a tough fact to learn. But that's not what I posted this for. This is for some serious help with that.

For years I've struggled with an arthritic ankle (3 basketbal related surgeries), and a bad back from that and pulling driftboat oars and anchors. I tired all the NSAID anti-inflamatory prescriptions for temporary partial relief. For that I got a bad stomach and taxed kidneys and liver. I had way too many deep cortisone needle injections in both feet, one shoulder, one knee, and both elbows ('tennis elbow' condial). For that I got some temporary relief. I also got worse after the effects wore off; along with some calcification in my joints. I tried DMSO often; for which the long term effects still aren't known, but so far it's been reasonable for thousands of athletes that put it on sprained ankles and such. For an intractable bum ankle I ultimately tried radical surgeries that made my foot worse. I went thru long a depression over it. These things are bad medicine for many of us! Especially over the long haul. I never gave up searching for answers though. ~~~

Now I have been thru an amazing improvement in my conditions over the last 3 years; physically and mentally. After trying so many non-prescrpitive health alternatives that didn't work - including such as accupuncture, chyropractic, and more expensive "health" supplements than you can imagine (including very expensive "miracle" shark cartledge powder - not a miracle!), I finally came upon a formula of supplements that worked for me. They work best if you have a positive attitude and find the gumption to exercise your way thru chronic conditions, without overdoing it. Low weights with high reps for a long while - followed by very slowing increasing the amount of weight you work out with. But the following things have a lot of studies and resultant data on them that lend credence to their long term effectiveness; while at the same time have some detractors for unknown possible future side effects. However, the side effects have more positive ones than negative, so far. So ~~~

Here is the formula that I have consumed every day for close to 3 years now, after seeing if they individually made any difference (which they did - but much more so in combination); along with proper mechanically correct exercise programs. *I will give some important details and info sites below the formula. You must inform your doctor before taking this. Most will be fine with it; as the side effect potential seems quite low:

- 50 mg. of DHEA (this one is mostly for men over 40 years of age - see details below - but smaller amounts can help some post-menopausal women)
- A combined supplement of Glucosamine and Chondroitin (up to 3000 mg. of Gluc. and 2500 mg. of Cond. daily)
- Vitamin C (2000 mg. daily)
- Vitamin E (400 to 600 IU's per day)
- One quality broad spectrum multi Vit & mineral daily
- 1 tablespoon of Flax oil (daily - or omega 3 fish oil works as well)
- 1000 mg. of calcium (unless you have lots of dairy products; which you shouldn't)
- 100 mg. of ginseng (panax version - as with the others, consult your physician before taking these; some are discouraged for women during pregnancy)
These add up to be a bit spendy. Shopping around the yellow pages and internet can save a lot on them.

*The two genuine 'stars' of this formula are the DHEA for men over 40 to 45, and the Glucosamine/Condroitin for anyone with significant osteo or soft tissue arthritis. While DHEA has anti-oxidant properties that can help ward off age related diseases, the property that I believe helped me is the increase in male hormones back to younger levels, which help middled aged men to metabolize fats into lean muscle tissue better. But it also has positive effects on the brain, improving the feeling of well being and improving the thinking process (it made my mind more active - maybe partly why I ramble so much in posts). Check out the internet site listed below. ... The Gluc/Cond supps actually help re-build worn cartilage via better collegen formation within the joints.

Access http://www.ceri.com/dhea.htm for some of the many benfits of DHEA supps for middle aged and older people with declining DHEAS serum levels. Then access http://shop.store.yahoo.com/vitanet/dhe9.html for studies of side effect potential. One of the more common ones is that in some it may lower the HDL (good) cholesteral levels - but this is more than offset by the strong enhancement of HDL levels you get from Flax oil or fish oils. I've read many such sites about DHEA, and the consensus is that candidates should have their serum levels blood tested to determine the best amount of supplimentation. And that up to 25 mg. in middle aged and older people have very little negative side effects, while some contend up to 50 mg. per day has little negative side effects for most over age 45. This product has gone thru as much research as any supplement in recent years. Yahoo Search has over 1000 sites about it. But for a myriad of red tape reasons, it still is awaiting FDA approval as a prescribed drug. But it's available as a supplement. For middle age males it essentially replaces age related loss of blood serum levels of DHEAS and also the male hormone testosterone. Blood tests are recommended for guys between 40 and 45 before taking it to see if you can benefit from it yet. For over 45, studies indicate a majority of men can benefit a lot; but it's good to still have a blood test. I started with 10 mg., upped to 25 mg. in a couple weeks, then in a few months went up to 50 mg. per day - the upper level considered safe with very low side effect potential. After a few weeks most guys feel physically and mentally better and stronger - I did too, as my friend Russ P., who is a pharmacologist, said I would (he's why I became aware of it). Read lots of other collaborative info on it before trying it - you see it all over in health supplement sections of stores and pharmacies.

Many doctors now consider the advent of Glucosamine/Chondroitin combo to be the most effective ingredient in multi-faceted programs to fight and often cure arthritis. As cynical and non-confident in the supps I've tired, this one really worked after using it for awhile! Access http://www.arthritisaid.com/ as well as many other internet and medical magazine studies to gather info before using this very safe stuff. As with the DHEA, this is the only other supp that I tried over time that I could really notice a positive difference. It takes awhile too.

While these two supplements together (along with exercise) are the biggest part of my regimen to alieve my arthritic probs and regain more youthful strength, the other ones listed in combo do their part to help also. Many places on the internet, or Prevention Magazine archives, will attest to the effects and effectiveness of the items on my list - including credible government funded studies and medical college studies.

Most of you know of the importance of getting enough calcium, Vit. C, and Vit E. While they all help fight against heart disease and cancer, with their 'anti-oxidant' properties, they also aid in the fight against general aging. Omega 3 Flax or fish oils not only help fight heart disease, the latest studies also demonstrate they help fight arthritis with joint lubrication enhancement; especially for those that remain physically active with regular walking and/or swimming pool exercise.

These things I'm writing about are what I have learned and experienced. I've lived thru it. The whole program works! I hope anyone in need gives it an honest try for a period of time, after doing your own research. There's more ~~~

You can also get prescriptions that help arthritis, and breaking the pain/inactivity cycle for chronic problems. The lastest prescription anti-inflamatories are the highly touted Celebrex and Vioxx. They are a Cox-2 Inhibitor pharmicutical that interupts the negative inflamatory response system in your body, with much less stomach iritation than previous Nsaid drugs - such as aspirin or ibuprophen. I have recently gone from daily use to only using it when I have more than normal physical activity, because of recent new concerns of some side effects for a small percentage of people (do an internet research and doc discussion about it). ... For those that endure a lengthy depression accompanied by chronic pain and relative inactivity might benefit from prescription 'serotonin re-uptake inhibitors'. They can help break you out of these cycles and get you jump started on your way; especially in conjunction with the above program. I used a small dose program for a limited time after my foot surgeries, and they helped get me going mentally and physically.

Another highly touted supplement is "MSM", discovered by the famous DMSO doc - Dr. Stanley Jacobs of the University of Oregon Health and Sciences center. I tried it for a good while and it didn't help me noticably at all; so I quit using it. But everyone has different body chemistry, and it reportedly has helped many people, with little side effects. Do an internet search on it; or talk with knowledgable people at heatlh supplement centers.

--------> So why stick my neck out a bit with all of this info? Just because it became no less than a minor miracle for me in recent years! Sounds like an ad, ay? It's not. Do some research of these things, and of your soul, and you might be feeling very much better in the not-too-distant furture. Some may not. It sure beats not trying!!! I'm glad I did.

There are some knowledgable people in health care related industry as members here - such as Thumper - that I hope will augment what they know of these and other hopeful things for improving health and endurance. And I would like to get some feedback from others trying these things; and other stuff I haven't found yet.

Steve (RT)

#147418 - 04/01/02 08:27 AM Re: This could change your life for the better! (nfr)
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I don't know much about many of the things that you describe though it sure sounds plausible. I had a PhD minor in biochemistry many moons ago, but most of this stuff was not described yet. But I do know one thing --- your comments about exercise are right on.

For most of my life I gained a couple of pounds a year. Four years ago I finally got sick of being fat and started losing weight via the high protein (low carb) diet. I ended up 62 pounds lighter in only 4 months. Man, that diet works!

I've kept that weight off by walking four miles each morning on a treadmill at a very gentle 4 mph. I just grab two newspapers and get on the machine and when I'm done reading an hour later I have finished my exercise. No-brainer. The result is that 400 calories burned off each morning equals to 2000 calories a week, times 50 weeks equals 100,000 calories a year. Dividing by 3500 calories (one pound per 3500 calorie) that equals 28 pounds a year that I am ahead of the game. And that is a lot of beer.

The benefits of regular exercise, even gentle exercise like walking, are astounding. First, you lose weight --- big time. You need never be fat again, and that is cool. HDL goes way up, total cholesterol and triglycerides drop like a rock, and your blood pressure drops --- mine went from 145/90 on medication to 120/70 on zero medication. And suddenly you can do things you never imagined were possible.

As a result at 61 I can still keep up with most of the younger guys. Exercise is the answer to improving my quality of life.

But I am still never ever going into the Wind River canyon again!

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#147419 - 04/01/02 08:57 AM Re: This could change your life for the better! (nfr)
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
And I thought by the title of the post RT had started selling Amway

#147420 - 04/01/02 10:59 AM Re: This could change your life for the better! (nfr)
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
Great post RT.

#147421 - 04/01/02 12:18 PM Re: This could change your life for the better! (nfr)
Hoochie Offline
Fry

Loc: Hobart
Let's see, I'm 52, 40# overweight, got a sedentary job sittin' on my dead butt in front of a 'puter when I'm not teaching and don't split near enought firewood!

RT, you've hit the right nerve. Your post has helped me getmore motivated to get that much-needed exercise so I can keep up with a 4-year-old grandson living with us.

Got to stay healthy for him as well as ME, dammit.

Great words of advice and wisdom, many thanks.

Now, gotta go get on that stationary bike and cardio-glide that are collecting dust in my workshop!

#147422 - 04/01/02 07:03 PM Re: This could change your life for the better! (nfr)
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Hey hoochie,
Is that your blue house with the nice new striper
under the white cover I drive by every day???
If so,Nice boat.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#147423 - 04/01/02 09:58 PM Re: This could change your life for the better! (nfr)
Hoochie Offline
Fry

Loc: Hobart
Strike Zone-------------
Nawwww, my house is just off 216th on 271st pl.
Got a blue Crestliner 17' Sportfish in the yard.

We gotta hook up soon.

We'll be at Sekiu most of September!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 434 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |